• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should learn from Patriots

raleigh-panther

I'll make a comment that probably won't be very popular.

The Panthers should learn from the Patriots on when and how to get rid of a disgruntled 'super star' before the contract expires and get something of value in return.

The Patriots, can, and will, get rid of any superstar whose demands exceed the benefit of the team and they are quick about it.

It should surely have been a red flag to Hurney that his star player was not going to sign and that is when he should have pulled the trigger.

Instead, the Panthers have bartered future draft choices and given up key needed backups that sustain the whole team.

The Panthers front office won the battle. Let's see if they win the war.

Agreed, the Patriots have been good at knowing when to get rid of guys...

They've also had a knack at bringing in veterans to compliment what they have developled.

I agree with the Panthers philosophy of drafting and developing players, but I think they should spend a little more time and money complimenting that with veterans. I'm not talking about going out and getting every superstar available in FA, just veteran guys that have a few more miles left in the tank.

It should surely have been a red flag to Hurney that his star player was not going to sign and that is when he should have pulled the trigger.

If you are talking about Pep here and trading him with one year to go after he turned down that big deal, I agree in theory. However.....what value would they have gotten for him after 2007? I just don't think it would have been a good trade value wise for Carolina.

I'll make a comment that probably won't be very popular.

The Panthers should learn from the Patriots on when and how to get rid of a disgruntled 'super star' before the contract expires and get something of value in return.

The Patriots, can, and will, get rid of any superstar whose demands exceed the benefit of the team and they are quick about it.

Instead, the Panthers have bartered future draft choices and given up key needed backups that sustain the whole team.

The Panthers front office won the battle. Let's see if they win the war.

The patriots would not get rid of Tom Brady under any foreseeable circumstances. But other than that, I agree with you. Better to have several good players than a handful of superstars. Peppers should be gone.

If you are talking about Pep here and trading him with one year to go after he turned down that big deal, I agree in theory. However.....what value would they have gotten for him after 2007? I just don't think it would have been a good trade value wise for Carolina.

Understand.

However, some value is better than no value and holding onto a losing hand.

Several things are certain, we have no backups, we have lost #1 draft choices, we can't do anything in free agency and we will sit with the same situation in 2010, an uncapped year most likely.

He will walk in 2010 or this team will be more handicapped.

I would say the only person smiling is Julius, all the way to the bank.

The patriots would not get rid of Tom Brady under any foreseeable circumstances. But other than that, I agree with you. Better to have several good players than a handful of superstars. Peppers should be gone.

I'm not so sure about that.

If Montana and Unitas and Farve can go by some means, so can Brady.

Brady also kept his contract demands reasonable for his position to stay with a winner and renegiotiates as needed. Do you think Julius would ever do the same?

Archived