• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman's Q & A about Cam: "He's developing at a solid rate."

pantherking15

Q: Now that you've given Newton a contract worthy of a top NFL five quarterback, what does Newton have to do to become a top five quarterback?

DG: Well, he's just got to continue to develop. You remember back in the day when you had David Klingler and Andre Ware? And you've had other quarterbacks that came out and had great college careers, and then it didn't translate. Obviously, with Cam it has. And it takes time. People have to remember. He only played one year of [Division I] football. Really and truly.

I had a reporter come in my first year and he started banging on Cam. I said, 'Listen. How long have you been a sportswriter? How many articles did you write your first two years that you’re proud of?' I told him we all have to grow into our jobs. Everybody. You have to allow players to. You’re not going to have instant gratification with players, but they’re going to get better as long as they put in the time ... which our guys go.

He's developing at a solid rate. We’re excited about having him. He just needs to continue to hone his game."

Q: Much has been said about Newton's lack of passing efficiency (59.5 percent in four years). What are your thoughts on that?

DG: He'll get better. It's like anything else, he'll get better. I get frustrated because everybody wants a guy to be great yesterday. It doesn't work like that. And oh, by the way, he’s trying to do his job while people are trying to rip his lungs out. People don't want to get it. We gave him what we gave him because we believe very strongly in him.

Q: How do you want to see Newton progress as far as balancing the pass versus his run, understanding the risk of him being a running quarterback?

DG: You don't take away a guy's strengths. You don't do it. If a guy is really good at something, let him play the game. He's going to be fine.

Q: You mentioned at the time Newton signed the extension that he could take this team to the Promised Land. How close is the roster to being good enough that he can do that?

DG: Right now we're 0-0 like everybody else. We're tied for first place. You've got to see what the season brings. I feel strongly about the roster and I feel that strongly about Ron [Rivera] and the coaching staff. Ron's teams consistently get better.

I feel good about us. I really do. This is as strong a group of wide receivers as Cam has had around him. The running back group is solid. Fozzy [Whittaker], that was a great pickup by [director of pro scouting] Mark Koncz and his staff. I feel good. I feel strong about the offensive group around Cam.

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/14488/panthers-gm-dave-gettleman-on-cam-newton-hes-developing-at-a-solid-rate

Seriously could listen or read GMan's quotes all day. Seems like such a straight shooter.  Not that he's going to tell you everything or be right all the time, but you know what you're going to get from him and he's not going to sugar coat it.  His comment on Fozzy specifically says a lot to me about what he thinks of Fozzy.  

Side note: saw GMan walking his dog down East Blvd. in Charlotte a month or so ago...what kind of dog you ask? Border Collie...somehow, I'm not surprised.

His comment and elaboration about Newton coming into this situation with only 1 year of D1 football echo what others have been saying to the impatient buffoons here for years.

It's been a tough 4 years for Cam. But it has made him a better quarterback.

To think, at one point some fans actually entertained the possibility that Gettleman was going to trade him, lol.

If Gman is high on Fozzy then I'm convinced our backfield is stacked. Artis-Payne has been impressing too.

Jstew, Tolbert, Fozzy, Artis-Payne!!!

Not to mention Todman has some Sproles like characteristics...

That backfield running behind our new found interior gives me the jollies. PUMPED!

People have gotten too impatient with Cam because how good he was right out the gate.

Does no one remember how we pretty much accepted the fact that he was going to be a bit of a project when we drafted him?  That he was a project with huge potential.

Then his rookie season happens, and it's like everyone completely forgot all of that.  As good as he was out the gates, and is now, he's still that same project we drafted back in early 2011 that's been learning on the fly.  He's made huge strides as a pocket passer, and is continuing to get better.

What Gettleman said is 100% correct.

This is the year Cam emerges as the future of the NFL. His rookie year he banged on the front door and got everyone's attention. Second year he slipped and fell off the porch. Third year he walked back up the porch and started banging again. Fourth year he was leaning against the door with crutches. This year he's gonna kick down the door and yell "GTFO THIS IS MY HOUSE NOW."

Archived