• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Roster Projection Update

Jeremy Igo

Wonder is Webb is the "or seven"(th) WR?

Personally, I see the sixth WR as a player whose last name begins with "B" and played high school ball in Charlotte.

However, what if the sixth WR is Webb?  If we had Benjamin, Funchess, Brown, Cotchery, and Ginn, do we really need a sixth WR with no special teams ability?  (To the best of my knowledge, Byrd--who I have on the PS, Bersin, and Boykin are all void of special teams talent.)

Then again, I keep hearing that Bersin has a strong shot. 

I feel that words from Dave Gentleman are in order.  When he axed 89 after 2013, here is part of what he said :

“As I’ve stated many times, all decisions I make will be in the long-term best interest of the Carolina Panthers.  Decisions, either popular or unpopular, have to be made for the greater good and it is imperative to take an unemotional global view."

I would think that this would carry over to all personnel decisions. Popularity and favoritism are fine, but they're not necessarily going to ensure a player a roster spot. 

I ALWAYS read your posts, Dawg.  I am glad you shared this.  I love the line: "...It is imperative to take an unemotional global view." 

Great point.  If the Huddle demonstrates anything, it is how hard that is to do. 

• Pie 2

I ALWAYS read your posts, Dawg.  I am glad you shared this.  I love the line: "...It is imperative to take an unemotional global view." 

Great point.  If the Huddle demonstrates anything, it is how hard that is to do. 

You know, for me and probably some others, it's not hard to do (believe it or not).

Five years ago, someone close to me began noticeably suffering from early-onset Alzheimers at 61 years old. I share this to say that even though I am 48 and presumably in excellent health according to my last couple of doctor's visits, I am old enough to know that not only should you not take life for granted, but you can't necessarily take quality of life for granted in terms of being healthy.  That being said, I want to live long enough---with all of my faculties---to see my cherished Panthers win a championship.  So for me, it's just all about what makes the team better. I don't have time to play favorites.  Now, of course, I have favorites based on history and, perhaps, sometimes the presumption of potential, but when it's time for a player to come or go from the Panthers it is what it is.  I just believe that departures should be handled with the proper respect.  Though it's all business at the end of the day, hopefully things can be handled befitting of genuine appreciation. 

Now, of course, there will be many disagreements as to how to build the team personnel wise, but as fans we only see what is made available to us via media, open practices and games. We don't see all the other stuff. We really don't see the business side of things. We don't see the behind-the-scenes practices, the positional meetings inside the film rooms, or the chemistry within the locker room. As such, it's not necessarily wise to fall in love with a player until the season starts and they make you love them by their invaluable contributions. But, even still, each season is a cycle of sorts, and once that cycle is over, the business side of things must be evaluated against the productivity on the field from a value standpoint.  There is really no room for emotion when deciding what's best for the team.

Damn, MHS, sorry to ramble. Guess I felt like talking.  Some might say I always feel like talking...too much. LOL

• Pie 1

I am at camp every day and talk to all the media that matters every day. His name has never come up. 

If you are relying on "the media that matters" LOL!!!! name a media person that is signing game checks or paying for team research. Browning is not there for a look and see somebody believes this guy can play. If he plays his butt off and earns a spot...someone is going to look very smart. People like you...well, you know what happens   

If you are relying on "the media that matters" LOL!!!! name a media person that is signing game checks or paying for team research. Browning is not there for a look and see somebody believes this guy can play. If he plays his butt off and earns a spot...someone is going to look very smart. People like you...well, you know what happens   

We can tell you don't know who you're talking to... Jeremy IGO is a self-proclaimed genius when it comes to Panther football.

You know, for me and probably some others, it's not hard to do (believe it or not).

Five years ago, someone close to me began noticeably suffering from early-onset Alzheimers at 61 years old. I share this to say that even though I am 48 and presumably in excellent health according to my last couple of doctor's visits, I am old enough to know that not only should you not take life for granted, but you can't necessarily take quality of life for granted in terms of being healthy.  That being said, I want to live long enough---with all of my faculties---to see my cherished Panthers win a championship.  So for me, it's just all about what makes the team better. I don't have time to play favorites.  Now, of course, I have favorites based on history and, perhaps, sometimes the presumption of potential, but when it's time for a player to come or go from the Panthers it is what it is.  I just believe that departures should be handled with the proper respect.  Though it's all business at the end of the day, hopefully things can be handled befitting of genuine appreciation. 

Now, of course, there will be many disagreements as to how to build the team personnel wise, but as fans we only see what is made available to us via media, open practices and games. We don't see all the other stuff. We really don't see the business side of things. We don't see the behind-the-scenes practices, the positional meetings inside the film rooms, or the chemistry within the locker room. As such, it's not necessarily wise to fall in love with a player until the season starts and they make you love them by their invaluable contributions. But, even still, each season is a cycle of sorts, and once that cycle is over, the business side of things must be evaluated against the productivity on the field from a value standpoint.  There is really no room for emotion when deciding what's best for the team.

Damn, MHS, sorry to ramble. Guess I felt like talking.  Some might say I always feel like talking...too much. LOL

I'm here for you Dawg.  Anytime, brother.

No I am not Paul, agent,friend or family member...considering its only a few hours from game time I couldn't be him...you guys are hilarious. I just raised a thought of how such a player lands such an opportunity. Its not by mistake...I am 77yrs old and i have seen a lot of unpolished talent get picked up and become treasures. This kid may become one that's all.  

Dude you literally joined a week ago and every single post you have made has been about a guy that hasn't even seen SECOND team reps in training camp. We have dudes on this team that have played in actual NFL games, or that are tearing it up with the FIRST TEAM that might not make this team!

Nobody is hating, but you can't blame us for being suspicious that you seem so infatuated with Browning. We've had actual players/agents come here before and do the same. 

Then maybe you should pay attention to whats being said instead of your so called expertise....yes I have 4 post...my knowledge of the game and experiences supersedes just about anyone here.

LOL.  Make Browning #11, because the list above doesn't mention Mike Brown.

Hope Browning does a good job during the pre-season game and that he will move forward in his career and get a place to play, but I have to agree with others here, his late arrival to Camp and the incredible competition for spots makes it hard to believe he's got any chance to get a spot on the roster or even the PS.

Here's the most recent article on Panthers.com on the WR competition.  Note where Browning's name appears:

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Rivera-impressed-by-wide-receivers/5c283751-d45b-404b-bc28-d8ae74c4e974

"This is the deepest I've seen that group in a long time, and it's quality depth," Rivera said. "The first four or five guys are truly quality guys, and then when you look at the sixth, seventh, eighth guys, these are guys that flash and show that they deserve an opportunity.

"It's a good group. I'm excited about them."

That first group of "four of five guys" is comprised of

Kelvin Benjaminicon-article-link.gif – a 1,000-yard receiver as a rookie last season – veterans Ted Ginn, Jr.icon-article-link.gif, and Jerricho Cotcheryicon-article-link.gif, speedster Corey Brownicon-article-link.gif and second-round rookie Devin Funchessicon-article-link.gif.

That accounts for less than half of the receivers on the 90-man roster. Brenton Bersinicon-article-link.gif was a contributor last season; Jarrett Boykinicon-article-link.gif and Mike Brownicon-article-link.gif are steady veterans in their first season with the Panthers; and Damiere Byrdicon-article-link.gif, Avius Capersicon-article-link.gif and Paul Browningicon-article-link.gif are rookies who have all made their share of plays.

"We've got five or six or seven that are really after it right now, that are really battling," Rivera said. "We've got a group of guys that are just showing every day. They're flashing constantly."

• Pie 1

LOL.  Make Browning #11, because the list above doesn't mention Mike Brown.

Hope Browning does a good job during the pre-season game and that he will move forward in his career and get a place to play, but I have to agree with others here, his late arrival to Camp and the incredible competition for spots makes it hard to believe he's got any chance to get a spot on the roster or even the PS.

Here's the most recent article on Panthers.com on the WR competition.  Note where Browning's name appears:

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Rivera-impressed-by-wide-receivers/5c283751-d45b-404b-bc28-d8ae74c4e974

i wonder who you expert is picking to go home. LOL!!!! it won't be Browning. Looks like someone in that Carolina Panthers organization is looking pretty smart....looks like the number 11 receiver is about to move up a few spots. I wonder when the play was called Big Ron said...I need you to go win it for me because these other 10 WR that are ranked above you by the media is high-on keep dropping the ball. I was told you came from a fast pace PRO STYLE OFFENSE. Show me what we brought you here for.

SportCenter...media that matters LOL!

Good Jonathan Jones article on the competition between Bersin & Boykin for the 6th (and probably final) WR roster spot.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article31200566.html

Excerpt:

They’re aware of the five receivers ahead of them on the Panthers depth chart. If Carolina keeps a sixth, it’ll probably be one of them. And it’ll leave the other looking for work.

In Friday night’s 25-24 victory against the Bills, Boykin and Bersin tried to apply what coach Ron Rivera had been saying all day as they sit 2 1/2 weeks away from the final roster cuts.

“Everything I do I do it with a purpose,” Boykin told the Observer after the game. “I don’t go out here and lollygag. So every game or walk through I carry a businesslike mentality. Like coach said all day long and reiterating, just making the most of opportunities. Whenever the ball came my way I tried to do what I could to make that play.”

Both players had one catch each in the opening drive of the third quarter. Boykin’s catch preserved the drive while Bersin’s touchdown catch sealed it.

When the time comes to whittle the roster down, Friday night won’t make the decision any easier for Rivera.

“Those two in particular, they’re veteran guys and they both have had success at the position,” Rivera said. “They’ve both shown and grown. They both practiced extremely hard and they both played really well (Friday) and I can’t wait to get an opportunity to look at the tape.”

The article then goes on to give a good analysis of both players' contributions on Friday night.  

Edited by KB_fan