• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How safe is Tolbert?

Jackofalltrades

I really like Tolbert and have loved watching him bowl over people before, but it's just not there any more. He looks slow and seems noticeably easier to bring down. He does add value as a pass catcher out of the backfield, but he's always been a terrible...and I mean TERRIBLE lead blocker.

Enter the new stable of backs in Artis-Payne, Wegher and Ward. None bring the versatility of Tolbert, but between them he's replaceable and all three can play ST. CAP and Wegher both look capable of picking up some of the short yardage yards and then you have Ward who has looked exceptional as a lead blocker. Don't forget Todman either

Cut Tolbert, cut Brockel and keep all four  of these young guys - thoughts? 

* I have no idea of what the cap ramifications would be.

No matter what the fans see, the reality remains that DG/Rivera and company decide what comes from all the roster shake ups.  I doubt Tolbert goes and I doubt Brockel goes as well, look for Wegher  and Ward to PS unless the absolute poo hits the fan during the next two weeks.

I've been wondering about his. I really like tugboat and if he returns to form it will be a huge help, but he hasn't looked great in preseason and haven't heard anything from camp. I don't know that his pedigree is enough to keep him the way it with others.

Tolbert is getting up there in age, he was never a good run blocker (never a true FB), he is noticeably slower, and his receiving skills are diminishing as well. Not to mention we could save I think 2.5 mil in cap space (experts correct me if wrong) if we cut him to use somewhere else (receiver). I'm sorry, but I think Tolbert has run his course. I love tub of goo, but we need new blood. As for brockel, that dude can GTFO. I have yet to hear his name called for anything good since he has been here. Out with Tolbert and Brockel, in with Ward and Wegher. I can only hope "he gives us veteran leadership" Rivera and Gettleman think the same way.

If Ron is serious about having tough conversations on RB cuts like the thread I made, he needs to evaluate every single player not named Stew(of course he's not going anywhere this season)

IMO, I love tolbert but he'll be 30 in November and we free up cap space. He's not a FB, Ward should be starting there and if they keep him on he needs to be number 2 RB, but I'm trying to think what do we lose losing Tolbert, what if Ward goes down?

No matter what the fans see, the reality remains that DG/Rivera and company decide what comes from all the roster shake ups.  I doubt Tolbert goes and I doubt Brockel goes as well, look for Wegher  and Ward to PS unless the absolute poo hits the fan during the next two weeks.

Then Rivera and Gettleman are completely lying when they say they are going to keep the best 53 players.

I really like Tolbert and have loved watching him bowl over people before, but it's just not there any more. He looks slow and seems noticeably easier to bring down. He does add value as a pass catcher out of the backfield, but he's always been a terrible...and I mean TERRIBLE lead blocker.

Enter the new stable of backs in Artis-Payne, Wegher and Ward. None bring the versatility of Tolbert, but between them he's replaceable and all three can play ST. CAP and Wegher both look capable of picking up some of the short yardage yards and then you have Ward who has looked exceptional as a lead blocker. Don't forget Todman either

Cut Tolbert, cut Brockel and keep all four  of these young guys - thoughts? 

* I have no idea of what the cap ramifications would be.

That is what I have been saying.  Rivera and Tolbert go way back, but Tolbert is turning 30 soon, and RBs who carry excess weight and take a beating are usually done by 30.  In fact, stats show they start waning around 27. 

Keep the youth.  If you don't, you will be trying to figure out how to stop them.

I believe Tolbert makes the 53 on his valye has a tailback, and special teams. 

Not fullback.

I think he will make the roster as well, however, who is he better than?  Remember, Gettlemen says what he means and it is usually what he does--"The best 53 football players make this team."  It will be interesting.

Archived