• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Despite recent trade, Panthers still in need of receiver help

Jeremy Igo

I keep on reading a lot of panic and we need to do something posts, but haven't really read any thoughts on exactly WHAT IT IS we need to do. 

Can someone lay that out for me because even in the thread about creating a hypothetical trade I didn't see anything plausible. 

Dave Gettleman has gotten gems like Daryl Williams and Bene Benwikere in later rounds, so even packaging a fifth or sixth round pick for a mediocre talent as a one year rental doesn't seem to me to be a realistic Gettlemove. 

Ultimately, I think Michael Floyd is probably the realest option. 

Larry Fitz was doing an interview during the Cardinals game the other night when he pulled John Brown in and started touting him as the future and the man who is going to replace him. Larry just reworked his contract and has a couple years there left at least it appears. Floyd has had a decent career with up and down QB play, and, most significantly, it's known he was on the block just a few months ago.

id think that is a direction i would look in. 25 years old, 6'2" 220, had a thousand yard season year before last and played relatively well last year. I'd investigate what it'd take.

Edited by Growl

I keep on reading a lot of panic and we need to do something posts, but haven't really read any thoughts on exactly WHAT IT IS we need to do. 

Can someone lay that out for me because even in the thread about creating a hypothetical trade I didn't see anything plausible. 

Dave Gettleman has gotten gems like Daryl Williams and Bene Benwikere in later rounds, so even packaging a fifth or sixth round pick for a mediocre talent as a one year rental doesn't seem to me to be a realistic Gettlemove. 

Trade the next two first rounders for a veteran name people have heard of with only one year left on his contact. Then smile and say "hey, we did something".

He's also gotten names like Edmund Kugbila, Kenjon Barner, amd Tyler Gaffney. If youre willing to part with this season on the off chance we find another AJ Klein, then that's your call but I'd wager most here are not, nor should the employees in that office.

the team's inability to prepare for injuries dealt them this hand. We failed to act when the opportunities were there. We made our bed and now we will either have to do something or lie in it. 

then what? LoL. Still gotta have some one on the outside to make plays.  Hopefully some one picks up their game.   Im still pulling for philly man.....tho im not sure why.

His only mistakes is body catching the ball  you saw how open he was during his routes and has little bit of elusiveness no reason he can't be # 2 or 3 guy for us. But I believe Devin and Ginn  can be our guy on the outside to pull double teams.

He's also gotten names like Edmund Kugbila, Kenjon Barner, amd Tyler Gaffney. If youre willing to part with this season on the off chance we find another AJ Klein, then that's your call but I'd wager most here are not, nor should the employees in that office.

the team's inability to prepare for injuries dealt them this hand. We failed to act when the opportunities were there. We made our bed and now we will either have to do something or lie in it. 

Kugbila was definitely a big swing, and a miss. But he was a fourth rounder. I think Gettleman learned his lesson there.

As for Barner, and Gaffney. If two of the three acquisition mistakes from Gettleman that you can come up with are sixth round draft picks, well, it could be much worse. See Marty Hurney trading away first rounders like they were candy.

Edited by TheRed
  • Pie 4

Kugbila was definitely a big swing, and a miss. But he was a fourth rounder. I think Gettleman learned his lesson there.

As for Barner, and Gaffney. If two of the three acquisition mistakes from Gettleman that you can come up with are sixth round draft picks, well, it could be much worse. See Marty Hurney trading away first rounders like they were candy.

you could note that as of today, Gettlemen hasn't shown what his ability is to draft offensive talent outside of hitting on what the first round has to offer....

bc he hasn't really brought any in that we know works...

something to watch going forward...

you could note that as of today, Gettlemen hasn't shown what his ability is to draft offensive talent outside of hitting on what the first round has to offer....

I'd say he may have gotten three starters in the last two drafts - Turner, Williams and Norwell - who was an UDFA but still deserves credit for him if he works out. We won't know for certain for another year or two on Williams but so far, he has done pretty strong.

edit: for some reason i thought I ready "offensive line talent" but I assume you are talking skill positions, which you would be correct although CAP looks pretty decent.

Edited by Peppers90 NC

Um... Daryl Williams plays offense I believe and looks to be maybe our best rookie of the draft.  Wasn't a first rounder.  Jury still out on Funchess.  Let's see how he plays assuming he DOES heal up and play.  If he ends up riding the bike all season, that will be terrible, but not exactly something G'man could have predicted.

My biggest gripe is that people are saying we made our bed like the team failed to address WR. They drafted a first round stud in Kelvin Benjamin. They then traded up to get another WR in Funchess. They then brought back everyone's favorite speed receiver to go with those two big possession guys in Tedd Ginn Jr. They extended Cam's favorite target in Greg Olsen.

So this notion that they didn't address the whole "Cam doesn't have weapons" thing is absurd to me. Did people want Gettleman to draft another wideout that would have never seen the field on the off chance that our second year stud tore his ACL? 

I want to get a competent receiver as much as the next fan, but Gettleman is trying to build a long term powerhouse here. People want him to trade for some stud that has four years left on his contract that won't even be utilized as early as next season and I just don't see it happening. He's gonna take a cheap guy off the scrap heap, or he's going to trade for a guy with maybe a year or two left or wait until his salary isn't guaranteed and he can be cut if needed.

Fiscal responsibility, thy name is Gettleman. 

• Pie 9

Please name some so we can keep track. 

people play that game every year....

there are 32 teams each carrying 60 plus players right now....there are tons of players that could be had AT A COST better than the likes of Bersin.  All depends on if you are willing to pay.

I say it is worth overpaying for someone and taking on more than you would like in that particular player......b/c big picture it is about Cam and things are setting up for him to get hurt.  No WRs plus a stacked box = no traditional offense which means Cam will be forced to be the video game guy to generate anything 

• Pie 1

Um... Daryl Williams plays offense I believe and looks to be maybe our best rookie of the draft.  Wasn't a first rounder.  Jury still out on Funchess.  Let's see how he plays assuming he DOES heal up and play.  If he ends up riding the bike all season, that will be terrible, but not exactly something G'man could have predicted.

skill positions specifically but Williams hasn't played a down of real football.  Can't throw him and mark the checkbox on him.  

There is no one that can be checked off yet 

Edited by CRA