• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

THAT LAST DRIVE (Cam's Progression as a QB)

Castavar

.........Displayed Cam's progression and developement as a QB all in one huge drive to beat Seattle. Sorry I don't have the fancy pics to go along with this, but I'll provide that video link at the end.

Stepping up in the pocket/Using his checkdown
Cam in the past probably would have taken that sack. Instead, he feels the pressure off the edge and steps up in the pocket perfectly and checks it down to Stewart for 8 yards. Good way to start the drive.

Leading his receiver
On the next play, Cam finds a hole in the zone and threads the needle in stride to Ginn where only he could get it. If that pass is thrown slightly behind or slightly high to Ginn, he most likely doesn't make that catch. Perfect pass leading Ginn.

Anticipation
On the next throw to Dickson, if you notice, Cam throws the ball right as Dickson is turning around. Cam showed great anticipation which allowed Dickson to go for an extra 5 yards.

Protecting his receiver
On 2nd and 19 after the sack, Cam hits Funchess with a low inside throw. If he leads Funchess on that play he would have gotten crushed by 2 oncoming Seattle defenders. He threw it to the only spot where Funchess could get it and safely come down with the ball.

Ball placement
This applies to the other plays too, but that pass to Cotchery was insane. He put it in the only place where Cotch could catch it. Now, I think that play was more Cotchery than anything because that was one tough clutch catch. He had a defender draped on him and still made that catch. But Cam still put that ball on the money. Great play by both players.

Looking off defenders/Touch
And finally, the play of the game, Cam already knows where he wants to go with the ball. So instead of staring his target like he would have in the past, Cam looks off the safety making him pause for just a sec which was all that was needed. Of course the miscommunication between Sherman and Chancellor helped, but nonetheless, Cam still managed to freeze him for just that one second and then threw that PERFECT touch pass to Olsen. We've seen Cam thrive with his touch/looking off defenders this season and it showed big time on that play.

This team is special and Cam only continues to get better. This was a HUGE statement win for the Panthers, and a much needed one to get that monkey off our backs. Cam has come a long way with his progression and Rivera/Shula deserves HUGE credit for being patient and allowing Cam to master this offense. Big props to everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dymUtuAVeW8

Then there was this-

Drive: 14 plays, 80 yards in 7:07.
Drive: 11 plays, 80 yards in 5:15.
Drive: 9 plays, 80 yards in 4:13.
Drive: 8 plays, 80 yards in 1:48.

And getting no turnovers while giving up two. I really expected that getting a score (or at least a setup to one) from the D would be necessary, but all it took was solid play on defense. CBS said the Panthers player of the game was Stewart, but despite how hard he ran, the POG has to be Cam.

Then there was this-

Drive: 14 plays, 80 yards in 7:07.
Drive: 11 plays, 80 yards in 5:15.
Drive: 9 plays, 80 yards in 4:13.
Drive: 8 plays, 80 yards in 1:48.

And getting no turnovers while giving up two. I really expected that getting a score (or at least a setup to one) from the D would be necessary, but all it took was solid play on defense. CBS said the Panthers player of the game was Stewart, but despite how hard he ran, the POG has to be Cam.

Those drives were abolustely incredible. To do that four times IN Seattle against the legion of boom is huge. And I really can't argue with CBS saying Stew was player of the game. While Cam was struggling earlier, he was carrying us and breaking like 3 tackles a run. So Stew softened up the defense and Cam came in for the kill! Meanwhile, as our offense was turning the ball over, our defense balled the fug out the whole game and kept us in it. This game was a true full team win from the offense, defense, to special teams.

LOLOLOLOL.  Rolling Stone's article about yesterday's game (Just tweeted out by BBR) has one of the funniest lines I've read about the game: (bold added)

The 26-yard touchdown reception by Olsen left All-Pro safety Earl Thomas and All-Pro cornerback Richard Sherman staring at each other in disbelief (they were probably wondering if they'll still be All-Pros), as the most obvious talent on Carolina's offense was left wide open in the end zone to give the Panthers a 27-23 victory.

Looking off defenders/Touch
And finally, the play of the game, Cam already knows where he wants to go with the ball. So instead of staring his target like he would have in the past, Cam looks off the safety making him pause for just a sec which was all that was needed. Of course the miscommunication between Sherman and Chancellor helped, but nonetheless, Cam still managed to freeze him for just that one second and then threw that PERFECT touch pass to Olsen. We've seen Cam thrive with his touch/looking off defenders this season and it showed big time on that play.

A slight look to his left.

Gj8kT7f.jpg

And then the touch down pass to Olsen.

H42Og9I.jpg

After rewatching that drive, I noticed that Cotchery remains composed after making that tough catch.  You know his emotions were running high--3rd down conversion and had to really wrestle and tough it out to make the catch [where have we seen that before *hint*Jacksonville*hint*--and notice that he did spike the ball or start jumping around.  He knew we needed to get the ball set and snapped.  No time spent with hugs or smack talk.  No spinning the ball and taking valuable seconds off the clock or worse a penalty.

I didn't realize until just now that in the PRIOR 4 minutes Panthers scoring drive, we never faced 3rd down.  That is pretty cool.  Way to move the chains efficiently!  Here's the drive summary:

Panthers_Drive.thumb.png.eb422d0137ea2cf

Interesting! I didn't even realize that either. Talk about dominating early downs. I think a LOT of credit goes to Shula for establishing the run so early and keeping with it. Stew really opened everything up with the way he was running and had Seattle on their heels that whole 4th quarter.

Interesting! I didn't even realize that either. Talk about dominating early downs. I think a LOT of credit goes to Shula for establishing the run so early and keeping with it. Stew really opened everything up with the way he was running and had Seattle on their heels that whole 4th quarter.

Yes, I agree.  I think the really intense, physical grind & pound nature of the first 3 quarters of the game probably took a toll on Seattle's defense and had them worn out in the 4th, especially since we did win the Time of Possession battle (32:12 to 27:48, with the biggest discrepancy being the 3rd Q when Panthers had the ball for 9:12)

A slight look to his left.

Gj8kT7f.jpg

And then the touch down pass to Olsen.

H42Og9I.jpg

If you go back and listen to the Podcast, IGO did with Josh Norman... He actually mentioned that he can always tell where Cam was going to go with the ball because he looks the other way he's going to throw the ball. I wonder if this was a similar instance. Not complaining...but he definitely said that this was a way that Cam tells where he wants to go with the ball.

Technically this wasn't the redzone... and I think Cam just took advantage of Seattle's blown coverage. Either way... He balled out of his mind in the 4th quarter.

Archived