• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ginn's catch

ncmonzta

There was nothing wrong with the call. It's the rule that needs to be changed. If in the referees' judgment the pass catcher is in the process of going to the ground in the act of making the catch he must maintain possession through contact with the ground. That didn't happen here. An odd rule (as it demands subjectivity), but that's the NFL world we live in. 

I thought when you have both hands on the ball and u hit the ground, you're down by contact if a defender touches you. 

Exhibit A:

panthers-eagles-48.jpg

I think it was just a "too close to call thing". I think that if the initial ruling was a catch, it would have stood. 

PS: I'm not sure his butt is on the ground yet in this photo. 

I've never seen anything like this and I have to say that was down by contact. I've seen plenty of players who's butts touched the ground first and they were down by contact. 

Martavius Bryants TD a couple of weeks ago when Landry threw him the ball. His Foot landed then his butt landed and they counted that as a TD. Basically the same principle. Except one was for a TD this time it was for a turnover. This has to be the worst turnover I've ever witnessed in my life. The refs are looking more and more like fools each week. There's Always something each week, players won't know what the rules are anymore, how can you expect them too if the refs themselves don't make up their minds. 

Ginn left his feet to make the catch, therefore he must maintain possession as he goes to the ground.  The ball gets jarred loose as he hits the ground.  It is one of those calvin johnson type plays that is normally called an incompletion.  Only in this case it unfortunately landed in the lap of the eagle.

This is what happens when you have rules that state that you can have a post-possession incompletion.  The possibility of a post-possession interception.

Archived