• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Famine, Flood, and Lackluster Quarterbacking: A Deconstruction of Narrativity in Football

PhillyB

This is what you do for fun?

I drink beer(s) for fun. 

Thats why you are super smart and I'm a drunk dumbass always looking for a fight. 

Maybe I should start reading more so the next time I'm drunk at the bar and someone wants to fight I can be all "do you even paleolithic raft bro?"

yeah but only for purpose of shitposting on the internet about it while drinking beer. academia provides you with some good-ass insults

• Pie 2

hmmm... for fun read kon-tiki, an account of experimental history/anthropology (a couple scientists create a paleolithic raft and test the hypothesis that people could've migrated across the pacific to populate the americas. adventurous and highly entertaining read. also check out history wars, a very readable edited collection of essays on conflict over historical representation in museums, focusing in particular on the 1990s conflict over the smithsonian's enola gay exhibit. it ties nicely into the theoretical aspect of this post, actually. also think about reading richard  anti-intellectualism in the american life, a seminal text for any political/cultural historian. and if you get the chance read the follow-up, susan jacoby's the age of american unreason (and review it for me, i own it but haven't read it yet)

Kon-tiki and History Wars look good.  Hofstadter may be a bit heavy for beach reading.  Thanks.

• Pie 1

hmmm... for fun read kon-tiki, an account of experimental history/anthropology (a couple scientists create a paleolithic raft and test the hypothesis that people could've migrated across the pacific to populate the americas.) adventurous and highly entertaining read.

I find it terribly strange that someone was just telling me about this recently. Terribly strange. There may have been a documentary made about it recently or something. It's bothering me to try and figure out where the hell I heard about this.

I find it terribly strange that someone was just telling me about this recently. Terribly strange. There may have been a documentary made about it recently or something. It's bothering me to try and figure out where the hell I heard about this.

it was made into a movie a couple years ago.

• Pie 1

human diaspora theories make the news every couple of years when some new evidence is found and shakes everything up, and the kon-tiki experiment is usually brought up since it's the biggest pop culture reference that everyone gets. by contrast mentioning the solutrean migration hypothesis will get blank stares

• Pie 1

human diaspora theories make the news every couple of years when some new evidence is found and shakes everything up, and the kon-tiki experiment is usually brought up since it's the biggest pop culture reference that everyone gets. by contrast mentioning the solutrean migration hypothesis will get blank stares

stares blankly

• Pie 3

Last time we were on Monday Night Football we saw a defense completely destroy a wounded QB along with its pathetic O-Line to the tune of 9 (iirc) sacks along with several turnovers. I sure hope we could throw that in Indys direction this time. You'd expect people like Allen and Short to feast on whatever they call that O-line

• Pie 1

SCP is like a combination of the sensibilities of Patrick McManus, Mark Twain, and the Kissing Suzy Kolber version of Rex Ryan.

You've got a Hemingway/Paul Harvey/and perhaps a bit of Hitchens or Dawkins without the prominent atheistic overtones vibe going on. 

The Huddle's becoming a literary sanctuary...who'd've thought? :P

Edited by bigskypanthersguy
blap