• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Titans new coach changes team captain

PntherPryd

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/16875/mike-mularkey-subtracted-taylor-lewan-as-a-captain-added-dexter-mccluster

Apparently the Titans are one of the teams where captains are chosen by coaches.  One of the first things Mularkey did was strip the "C" from 2014 11th overall draft pick Taylor Lewan and give it to veteran RB Dexter McCluster.

I wonder how this move affects team chemisty for the Titans.  I heard that Mularkey made the move last week and that McCluster was wearing the "C" against the aints.  Just seems an odd thing to do and to do it so quickly shows the coach thought it was important.  

The reasoning is that he wanted the "C" to go to a veteran and that Lewan had not yet completed a season.  (he played 11 games in 2014 and 8 games in 2015, missing the others due to injury).  Mularkey also said he considered giving it to Mariota but that it would not look right to take it away for lack of experience and give it to a rookie.

Any way you look at it, this is a slam on their starting LT.  I don't know enough about the team to make a judgement, just seems like a bunch of mularkey.  

Lewan is an idiot. If there's a fight on Sunday, a safe bet is that Lewan probably started it. No clue how that guy was a captain in the first place. This is probably a good move by Mularkey. I'd say a good comparison for him is Richie Incognito. Just a total meathead.

I'm sure it was meant as a kick in the ass for Lewan and to make him have to earn it back.  He is talented for sure but never should've had the C in the first place.  We really have no real leaders on this team and that's one of our major issues IMO. 

They clearly want Lewan to be that guy but you don't just hand it to him.  He needs to figure out there's a difference between being a leader and a loudmouth.   Also, he's a flag machine.  I can almost guarantee he will account for at least 3 flags on Sunday.  I'll say 2 holding and 1 unsportsmanlike. 

1 minute ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Kuechly 

Beason

Still don't agree with a captaincy for a 2nd year player, although it doesn't mean as much when you can hand it out to a half dozen players at a time. Lewan only played in 11 games and started just 6. 

Archived