• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Influence

Hello! 

Just wanted to share something minor. I am an Korean American and throughout my young years I never got into football till the Panthers made their super bowl run. At first I didn't know what 'football' was about till I learned more about the game and concepts. When Cam Newton got drafted I was quite happy to have Japan interview our new quarterback. Today I saw a tweet about a Japanese reporter coming to the press conference and thought wow Japan may have their eyes on the Panthers. I cant speak for Korea but living in Japan has shown me Japanese people do like the sport of American football.  I mentioned a year ago I took a few foreign students to a Panthers preseason due to the fact they did not know anything about the game. It happened to be that these students were Japanese and they really did enjoy the atmosphere.

If you haven't noticed NFL does have a Japanese web site NFL JAPAN. There is an article about Cam Newton and him giving the TD ball to the kid whose father had passed away.

実はこのボールを受け取った男の子、コリン・トーラー君(6歳)は、9月30日に父ベンジャミンさんを心臓の病気で失ったばかり。パンサーズの試合観戦を約束していた父ベンジャミンさんに代わり、祖父たちがコリン君をこの試合に連れてきていたのです。

**Mentions about his age and father's passing on the 9/30 and his grandfather taking him to the game.

All in all the Panthers are making the right moves PR wise and are making their move on the EAST rather some teams marketing to the west. Great to be a Panther Fan.

Pretty cool

I've never considered the international market for the Panthers, but between this and the Spanish highlight commentary which has become increasingly popular, I'm starting to wonder if the Panthers have worldwide appeal, and how beneficial it would be for the franchise going forward.

I know a woman from Charlotte who's teaching English in Busan, South Korea right now (kind of like the LA to Seoul's New York) and she posted a picture on Facebook of her and 20 little Korean kids with Panthers t-shirts on doing the Superman. This reminds I need to get her permission to post it here. It's really awesome.

38 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

Pretty cool

I've never considered the international market for the Panthers, but between this and the Spanish highlight commentary which has become increasingly popular, I'm starting to wonder if the Panthers have worldwide appeal, and how beneficial it would be for the franchise going forward.

Also, Panthers & Packers was featured in the UK as a free TV broadcast last weekend, I think.  The NFL UK site had some great short videos with highlights about various players & the team as a whole.  (Luke, Cam, and others...)

My wife's father was born in Thailand and her mother was born in Mexico, so I have had to teach them all the game of football.  They lived in LA for a while, so they were aware of basketball (Laker fans unfortunately but closet Hornet fans now) but could never quite get into football bc of all the rules and it was not in their culture at all.  I now have them all calling each other during the games and my wife is a bigger fan than most of my work colleagues.  We even send Panthers gear to her family members who live in LA, Mexico City and Bangkok. 

The End

Archived