• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Star Wars TFA Discussion <Spoilers>

Darth Biscuit

On January 4, 2016 at 9:42 PM, cardiackat88. said:

If I had to guess, I would say the super weapon was made very, very, far away. Possibly that "outer realm" that Finn was trying to escape to.

That's the Outer Rim. This is the most recent map of the galaxy:Canon_galaxy_map.thumb.png.2bc706bf4104a

The Starkiller Base planet was far out west, in the Unknown Regions. That is where the First Order started after the Empire collapsed. The Outer Rim is far south - places like Dagobah, Bespin, Hoth, and Tatooine. Neither the Republic or Empire had strong presences out there, and the First Order doesn't either.

i wondered the same things though, about the empire rising and how did Hans Solo seem to have hot rock bottom? The heroes were more like survivors from post apocalyptic fiction. 

Somewhere, all of these empire star destroyers, equipment, etc all had to be funded. By who?

The First Order arose from the Imperial remnant, so they already got a lot of the Empire's old equipment. Given it's been 30 years since Return of the Jedi, that's plenty of time to build a capable fleet. From Episode III to Episode IV, it took about 19 years to build the first Death Star. The second was coming along much quicker. Even with financial restraints, 30 years is probably more than enough time needed to build one.

i read a good theory that said "Snoke" may be a ghost, not a hologram. He doesn't flicker or distort when talking, and also seems to be in a creepy graveyard setting.

A ghost would be interesting, but it would also contradict the traditional dark side teaching. Snoke isn't a Sith, but the Sith reject the idea of any sort of life after death. 

On January 3, 2016 at 6:29 PM, fitty76 said:

I liked the movie a lot.  But if I had to nitpick I'm wondering how the Alliance from the end of Return of the Jedi lost power so quickly? This would be like the Nazis coming back into power in 1985.  How did the Alliance go from destroying the Empire, to becoming a part of this "resistance" group?  And how did this First Order create a super weapon that can take out planets without anyone noticing?  That should have been addressed a little bit more.  When they were in the control room and the computer is showing the difference between the Death Star and the Starkiller, someone should have yelled out "HOW THE HELL DID WE LET THIS HAPPEN!?!?!"  When you lose power this quickly shouldn't there be anger and frustration?

They don't explain it well in the movie, but the old Rebel Alliance evolved into the New Republic - not the Resistance. The Resistance is a private paramilitary group led by Leia, with the monetary help of some of the Senators. The New Republic views the First Order as not being a threat; that's why Leia started the Resistance. 

The best way to describe it would be like if the Nazi leadership, instead of just disappearing in South America after the end of the war actually took over Argentina and began building up a new military and nuclear arsenal.

On a cold November night in 1978, I, as a 14 year old had a decision to make: stay home and watch all ALL NEW STAR WARS show, or go to the high school dance.

I chose the dance because I thought that the SWHS would be on TV every year from then on, like Rudolph or Frosty.

When I eventually saw it years later I was conflicted, because yeah it was about unwatchable, but I did miss out on seeing it the one time it was on as a nerd point of pride.

What was it, Dianne Carroll? turning on Lumpy the Wookiee? So wrong. Carrie Fisher completely coked out, and poor Mark Hamill doing his level best....

4 hours ago, cookinwithgas said:

On a cold November night in 1978, I, as a 14 year old had a decision to make: stay home and watch all ALL NEW STAR WARS show, or go to the high school dance.

I chose the dance because I thought that the SWHS would be on TV every year from then on, like Rudolph or Frosty.

When I eventually saw it years later I was conflicted, because yeah it was about unwatchable, but I did miss out on seeing it the one time it was on as a nerd point of pride.

What was it, Dianne Carroll? turning on Lumpy the Wookiee? So wrong. Carrie Fisher completely coked out, and poor Mark Hamill doing his level best....

I watched that live and loved it...but I was 6. So I just wanted to see anything Star Wars. I can't imagine what my parents thought. It is, indeed, hot garbage.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived