• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DVOA...should we be afraid?

stankowalski

I bet they had a better DVOA than us in Week 6 as well!

EDIT: hahahaha, they did.  Week 6 Seattle had a team DVOA of 16.8%, Carolina 12.4%.  This metric really thrives at capturing things that, ya know, win games.

DVOA (adjusted) VOA (unadjusted)
Team OFF DEF ST TOT OFF DEF ST TOT
CAR 5.8% -1.1% 5.5% 12.4% 7.6% 3.0% 5.5% 10.1%
SEA 20.3% 6.5% 2.9% 16.8% 12.3% 5.5% 2.9% 9.8%

15 hours ago, Jase said:

Contrary to popular belief, they don't actually play games in the playoffs. The players stand around on the sidelines while the statisticians tally the collective DVOA and determine the winner.

Just like that Star Trek episode "A Taste of Armageddon" where the certain designated people would line up for vaporization since the computer told them they had been hit.

I see the NFL going there one day...perhaps it will be two-hand touch football before we get to that point, though.

16 hours ago, stankowalski said:

Been reading a lot over at seahawks.net and apparently Seattle is the best team in the league (according to DVOA).  

Should we even play this game?  Is it worth it?  I mean maybe we should just forfeit so we have no terrible injuries or something and try again next year I don't know.  

Somebody hold me.

dvoa is just bullshit for draftkings lol

15 hours ago, Jangler said:

Be careful, Wednesday just started.

But, I have no original thoughts of my own. I base all my anticipations on what others say. And damm, that PU character says a lot. So he must know of what he speaks. As long as he has confidence. Then so do I.

Plus, I want us to win. And if PU thinks we can win. All the better.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/1/5/10709500/seahawks-dynasty-pete-carroll-russell-wilson-dvoa

...One thing we know for sure about is DVOA. The Seahawks became the second team in DVOA history (dating back to 1989) to finish first overall for three straight seasons, joining the 90s Dallas Cowboys. Well, after their 36-6 win over the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, they became the first team to do it for four straight seasons.

Not only are they first in DVOA, but the win was the biggest DVOA victory of the season for ANY team all year long out of 256 games. Seattle now has a 10-point lead over Cincinnati in second place for DVOA and their 51.1% Weighted DVOA is even better than it was in 2012 or 2013, when it was historically good. The Seahawks 2015 Weighted DVOA is the third-best of any team since 1989.
Winning or not winning another Super Bowl won't change any of this. Keep that in mind. They get to be this dominating regular season team for all of eternity, and that's great. No, winning a Super Bowl will only punctuate that it matters. I think that two Super Bowl appearances and one title in four years is pretty damn awesome, but three and two would change the whole game and the way the 2012-2015 Seahawks are seen by everybody, both today and for as long as anyone gives a poo about football...

Someone needs to point out to this dipshit that they finished the regular season as the 10-6 #6 seed and were lucky the record was as good as that.

In another "article" he actually used the term "DVOA Title" without a hint of irony or shame.

15 minutes ago, aussiePanther said:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/1/5/10709500/seahawks-dynasty-pete-carroll-russell-wilson-dvoa

Someone needs to point out to this dipshit that they finished the regular season as the 10-6 #6 seed and were lucky the record was as good as that.

In another "article" he actually used the term "DVOA Title" without a hint of irony or shame.

When did this DVOA thing come about and why does it matter since they had the better DVOA than us in a game they LOST this season? While I read the other thread and understand what it is trying to depict...it should have nowhere near the weight it is apparently given. Is this the kind of thing the Browns are all in for?

While I'm a fan of analytics and embracing the new, I'm all for the old school my eyes tell me I know what I'm seeing. And that's why in Gettlemen we trust.

Archived