• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron wins coach of the year!

Skydivingcows

GRATS!

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Ron-Rivera-Named-NFL-Coach-of-the-Year/2edd7352-6fd8-4a11-acf5-9d057f5d2312

Ron Rivera has been named NFL Coach of the Year after guiding the Panthers to an appearance in Super Bowl 50.

Under Rivera, who also won Coach of the Year following the 2013 season, the Panthers became just the seventh team in the Super Bowl era to go 15-1 or better in the regular season.

"It’s a tremendous award for the organization. It validates everything that we’ve done," Rivera said. "And again, our success always starts at the top. I really do appreciate our owner, Mr. (Jerry) Richardson, for believing in me and giving me my opportunity. Dave Gettleman and Marty Hurney – the two general managers I’ve worked with – I thank them for what they’ve done. Our coaching staff has been tremendous; our players have been outstanding.

"But I want to dedicate this to my brother Mickey, who recently passed of pancreatic cancer."

Prior to Rivera’s arrival in 2011, the Panthers had never gone to the playoffs in consecutive years and no team had ever won the NFC South division twice in a row. Carolina earned its third consecutive NFC South title in 2015 and claimed the top seed in the conference for the first time in franchise history.

The Panthers started 14-0 this season, which, combined with four victories to close the 2014 regular season, gave Carolina an NFC-record 18-game winning streak.

Rivera’s commitment to running the ball and playing stout defense has led to success. The Panthers have produced 27 consecutive regular season games with at least 100 rushing yards, the longest active streak in the NFL. Carolina’s defense has finished in the top 10 for four straight years.

Coach of the Year voting
Coach No. of votes
Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers 36.5
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs 6
Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans 2
Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings 2
Gary Kubiak, Denver Broncos 1.5
Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals 1
Bill Belichick, New England Patriots 1

riv.thumb.jpg.a5ca99ef47421a1f36853068d3 

Ron didn't make it to the awards but his family did

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Two people voted for Bill O'Brien?

Either because of the visibility he got from Hard Knocks and/or the fact that Houston got to the playoffs with a carousel of QBs.

Purely guessing but that's the only logical explanation I have.

7 hours ago, King said:

Twice in three years. That's an incredible honor for someone who was close to being shitcanned two years ago.

Hey. Ron knew what he wasn't doing. He needed work.

That's why he spoke to so many ex coaches, and wishes he would have had an Ex HC on his staff. So it's good to hear him talk about it now.

Notice, how [since he has job security and success) he's pushing back at those that recklessly criticize Cam and the team, while in the past he was silent-even over the BS stuff??..Good for him!

Let's hope Ron continues to grow and believe in himself and players.

Good Luck tonight Panthers!

Archived