• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ben Jacobs re-signed

jdpanther5

Panthers Sign LB Ben Jacobs

CHARLOTTE - The Panthers have signed reserve linebacker Ben Jacobs, who was an exclusive rights free agent.

Jacobs has played in all 16 games for Carolina each of the past two seasons. A special teams contributor and reserve linebacker, Jacobs posted 15 total tackles in 2015, eight on special teams and seven on defense. The former undrafted free agent from Fresno State led Carolina with nine special teams tackles in 2014.

Jacobs will be a restricted free agent following the 2016 season.

Here's who's left

Unrestricted 

WR Jerricho Cotchery

CB Cortland Finnegan

G Tyronne Green

S Roman Harper

DT Kyle Love

P Brad Nortman

G Chris Scott

OL Amini Silatolu

CB Charles Tillman

FB Mike Tolbert

C Fernando Velasco

QB Joe Webb

Restricted

OT Mike Remmers

WR Stephen Hill

DE Frank Alexander

Tender offers are probably coming for Remmers and Hill. I'm about 50-50 on Alexander. 

Among the UFAs, Tolbert, Nortman and Webb are the ones I feel fairly certain will be back, while Cotchery, Harper, Tillman and Velasco seem the most likely to be let walk.

Would like to see Kyle Love re-signed but I don't know if it'll happen.

6 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

Here's who's left

Unrestricted 

WR Jerricho Cotchery

CB Cortland Finnegan

G Tyronne Green

S Roman Harper

DT Kyle Love

P Brad Nortman

G Chris Scott

OL Amini Silatolu

CB Charles Tillman

FB Mike Tolbert

C Fernando Velasco

QB Joe Webb

Restricted

OT Mike Remmers

WR Stephen Hill

DE Frank Alexander

I would re-sign the bolded players. Most of them for the minimum. Tolbert, Love and Nortman get more than that and Remmers gets $2.5M on a RFA tender. The rest are guys fighting for a spot in camp. If someone else offers more then let them go. Cotchery, Harper, Tillman and Frank are gone.

Whew man!  Thank goodness!  Here i was, worrying the last two years about what we were going to do when Jacobs' contract expired.  Where would we go?  What would we do?  Who would possibly replace Ben Jacobs?  

I can now sleep peacefully at night without waking up every hour, on the hour, refreshing carolina huddle in my browser on my phone, dreading that i may see the headline, "Ben Jacobs Signs With Montreal Alouettes."

I for one am glad this is over.  I think i speak for us all when i say we were all on pins and needles about whether we could retain him.  

Never change, Ben.  Never.

24 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we don't re-sign Nortman this year.

I won't be surprised if we do, but I won't be surprised if we don't either. Getts signed GOAT Name Swayze Waters a few weeks back so who knows?

I agree. I think that was a leverage thing. We can now make Nortman a lowish contract offer and say "We've got this other guy we really like so take it or leave it. We're not going to be held for ransom. Good luck finding a starting job this same amount on the open market."

If Nortman takes the deal then great, Swayze will be the camp leg and compete for the position and if not then we draft a P in 7th or sign a UDFA and have them compete with Swayze for the job. Nortman has been decent but he is not worth overpaying when we can likely get similar production for cheaper. You pay a bit of a premium for the known quantity of Nortman but not too much. I think Gettleman set himself up nicely for that negotiation.

Archived