• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pre Free-Agency NFL News

Mr. Scot

58 minutes ago, NcPsa10 said:

Ian RapoportVerified account
‏@RapSheet
With free agency beginning, #Seahawks LT Russell Okung is intent on hitting the market, despite Seattle expressing interest in him staying

Any takes on this.  Think he is done? Or just had some bad luck with injuries?  It would be awesome to steal someone that plays for the chicken hawks.

35 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Any takes on this.  Think he is done? Or just had some bad luck with injuries?  It would be awesome to steal someone that plays for the chicken hawks.

Wants to get paid , 

He hasn't ruled out a return to Seattle but there's no harm in seeing what his value is on the open market. Now that Buffalo has franchise-tagged Cordy Glenn, Okung figures to be the most coveted tackle in free agency. The 27-year-old is coming off shoulder surgery but should be recovered in time for OTAs.

Okung mentioned a few weeks ago that he was in talks with the Seahawks about a return, but it was “up in the air” at that point in time.

“Yeah, we’ve had some conversations,” Okung said, via Sheil Kapadia of ESPN. “We’ve been going back and forth. It’s going to come down to when free agency starts. So we may figure something out, we may not. It’s up in the air for now for us to come to terms.

“It’s very possible that I could stay here. But I know my value, and I’m not going to settle for anything less than that. If it works out, great. And if it doesn’t, that’s great as well.”

Okung has elected to represent himself in free agency, but has also hired an agency to help consult during the process.

Okung, 27, played out his six-year, $48.5 million contract that included $30 million guaranteed. He made a base salary of $4.8 million for the 2015 season and is in line to test the open market in the coming months.

In 2015, Okung appeared in 13 games for the Seahawks and was rated by Pro Football Focus as the No. 26 offensive tackle of 76 qualifying players.

The Bucs are expected to release LB Bruce Carter on Monday.

A free agent megaflop in 2015, Carter signed a "four-year, $17 million" contract with the Buccaneers last March. He lost Tampa Bay's starting middle linebacker job to fourth-round rookie Kwon Alexander in training camp, before faring extremely poorly in three late-season spot starts on the weak side. Carter is owed a $3.5 million base salary and $750,000 roster bonus for 2016.

7 hours ago, ScreenPlay said:

Lol

why? 

Because he's a vet at a position we desperately need that can rush the passer. He's older and shouldn't command a lot of money. He might want to play for a ring at this stage of his career.

15 minutes ago, KDawg004 said:

Because he's a vet at a position we desperately need that can rush the passer. He's older and shouldn't command a lot of money. He might want to play for a ring at this stage of his career.

Hali is a 10 year vet pass rusher from a 3-4 OLB position. We play a 4-3 defense. Hali hasn't played in a 4-3 in the NFL. We don't know if he could learn how to play our DE position, how long he would take to learn it, or if he was even good at it.

Can't just look at players whose name you recognize and say, "We should get him."

10 minutes ago, O-Ther said:

Hali is a 10 year vet pass rusher from a 3-4 OLB position. We play a 4-3 defense. Hali hasn't played in a 4-3 in the NFL. We don't know if he could learn how to play our DE position, how long he would take to learn it, or if he was even good at it.

Can't just look at players whose name you recognize and say, "We should get him."

I am aware he's a 3-4 OLB. But it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to think he can play 4-3 DE. Hali is 6'3" 275lbs. Our very own Ealy is 6'4" 275lbs and CJ is 6'2" 282lbs. The size is certainly there. 

Just now, KDawg004 said:

I am aware he's a 3-4 OLB. But it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to think he can play 4-3 DE. Hali is 6'3" 275lbs. Our very own Ealy is 6'4" 275lbs and CJ is 6'2" 282lbs. The size is certainly there.

The skill sets are different. Hali is used to playing in space, not lined up across from a Tackle. He is used to his D-Line taking on the O-line so he can fly to the ball. In our system, Hali will be required to take on the O-line to free up Luke, TD, and Shaq to fly to the ball. He's never had to do that, and at this point in his career, I doubt he's willing to learn how to take on those Tackles and Guards play after play after play. That's if he could even learn the different responsibilities, much less his body handle the pounding. This will be his 11th NFL season. It's too late to convert him.

Archived