• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tom Clancy's The Division video game

stankowalski

Just came out yesterday, anybody else playing it?  

I bought it even though I'm not sure about how much I'll enjoy a shooter MMO.  So far I gotta say I'm impressed.  The production values are very high...i.e. graphics are nice even on my old Nvidia 560ti, voice acting has been superb so far and the missions have been a lot of fun.  I haven't had a chance to play with other people yet, well I guess I could have since they have matchmaking for the missions but I haven't done that yet.  I also haven't done the pvp yet either.  That will ultimately decide how long I stick with it past the story since I'm mainly into pvp type games, particularly for shooters.  

Anyway I'm on steam so if you want to team up sometime on PC friend request me...BlitzingLlama.  Put something about the Huddle in there since I don't accept random FR's.

1 hour ago, nickzz said:

i played it for a few hours and i'm afraid it's gonna be just like destiny. zero story and replaying the same missions over and over again.

Haven't really gotten that far into it yet (just made level 10), but I like the story so far, but yeah MMO's typically have crap stories. But from what I've played it seems like the story is there just to create the atmosphere, which is very well done IMO.  I haven't gotten very far as I've said so I don't know if the missions will become stale or not...but for MMO's they typically do.  At least every one I've ever played.  

We'll see how it goes but I'm liking it a lot so far.  I didn't play Destiny so I can't make any comparisons.  I saw my son playing Destiny and it just looked generic to me, as far as the look of the game. 

Where were y'all for the Beta?  Sheesh, I even made a post

I played a couple of hours of the Beta, and I have been diddling around since launch day.  I like the game.  I liked it so much after the Beta, I went and got the Gold Edition for XB1.

My opinions for what they are worth

-I enjoy the tactical decisions you can make with the cover system.  Add in things like the turrets, the ball, different grenades, etc and the game has a lot more combat depth than say Destiny (which is a game I still love and play).  Now, when you play as a fire team of four, things get a LOT more interesting.  Playing a team of four on a hard mission is another world!

-It's still a loot based shooter, and there's a lot of different equipment with very definitive benefits.  I like that better than Destiny's loot.  Like Destiny is very barebones (as it has to appeal to shooter bros as well as RPGers), where Division is going to turn Shooter Bros off because of how detailed the equipment/stat balances are.  There are real viable builds in the Division as well.  While the guns feel a little samey to me (I don't have quite enough experience with the full monty of guns yet), the mods are a great touch to getting a gun you really like the way you want.

-Story wise, I can't really comment a bunch yet.  I have swallowed the whole "Small Pox" isolates NYC yet leaves militant gangs of crazies alive.  I like the idea of putting things back together.  As a MMO vet, I understand the story and the reality of the world aren't always going to jive.  Like, I can finish the story, but the same bad stuff is still happening.

-The environmental story telling is crazy good (to me).  Seeing the way they decorated the areas is so interesting to me.  That tells a lot of the story.  Like when you are fighting in the subway tunnels, and you see all the caskets and bodies neatly stacked up, it's pretty hardcore.

-I like shooting things in the face, but the Division is no where near as satisfying as Destiny as far as that goes.  The shooting is more of a means to an end in the Division, but it's why I still play Destiny.

So I really like what I've done in a few hours of the Division.  I feel pretty confident I'll get my $80 value (amazon preorder!) for my Gold Edition this year.  I know I'll replay missions, and that's fine with me.  I've done it for two years of Destiny!  So as a game it speaks to me.

If you're only into it for a shooter, bad idea.  If you're looking for a deeper RPG game in with 3rd person, cover based shooting, then give it a shot.

If you're playing on XB1, feel free to look me up Friday night, when I should finally get to Manhattan! (yeah, life is really busy lately!).  Dionysusfiend

I just don't have time to play these type of games anymore and I don't even have kids.   I also can't just casual a game, if I'm not all in, I have problems with it lol.   I played the betas and it seems interesting, but like Destiny, I wouldn't even play much because of knowing I can't put in the time I need to.  

6 hours ago, d-dave said:

Where were y'all for the Beta?  Sheesh, I even made a post

I played a couple of hours of the Beta, and I have been diddling around since launch day.  I like the game.  I liked it so much after the Beta, I went and got the Gold Edition for XB1.

My opinions for what they are worth

-I enjoy the tactical decisions you can make with the cover system.  Add in things like the turrets, the ball, different grenades, etc and the game has a lot more combat depth than say Destiny (which is a game I still love and play).  Now, when you play as a fire team of four, things get a LOT more interesting.  Playing a team of four on a hard mission is another world!

-It's still a loot based shooter, and there's a lot of different equipment with very definitive benefits.  I like that better than Destiny's loot.  Like Destiny is very barebones (as it has to appeal to shooter bros as well as RPGers), where Division is going to turn Shooter Bros off because of how detailed the equipment/stat balances are.  There are real viable builds in the Division as well.  While the guns feel a little samey to me (I don't have quite enough experience with the full monty of guns yet), the mods are a great touch to getting a gun you really like the way you want.

-Story wise, I can't really comment a bunch yet.  I have swallowed the whole "Small Pox" isolates NYC yet leaves militant gangs of crazies alive.  I like the idea of putting things back together.  As a MMO vet, I understand the story and the reality of the world aren't always going to jive.  Like, I can finish the story, but the same bad stuff is still happening.

-The environmental story telling is crazy good (to me).  Seeing the way they decorated the areas is so interesting to me.  That tells a lot of the story.  Like when you are fighting in the subway tunnels, and you see all the caskets and bodies neatly stacked up, it's pretty hardcore.

-I like shooting things in the face, but the Division is no where near as satisfying as Destiny as far as that goes.  The shooting is more of a means to an end in the Division, but it's why I still play Destiny.

So I really like what I've done in a few hours of the Division.  I feel pretty confident I'll get my $80 value (amazon preorder!) for my Gold Edition this year.  I know I'll replay missions, and that's fine with me.  I've done it for two years of Destiny!  So as a game it speaks to me.

If you're only into it for a shooter, bad idea.  If you're looking for a deeper RPG game in with 3rd person, cover based shooting, then give it a shot.

If you're playing on XB1, feel free to look me up Friday night, when I should finally get to Manhattan! (yeah, life is really busy lately!).  Dionysusfiend

Sounds like a game I'll like, but wont be picking it up right away, maybe sunday, we will see got a lot going on atm.

16 hours ago, stankowalski said:

Haven't really gotten that far into it yet (just made level 10), but I like the story so far, but yeah MMO's typically have crap stories. But from what I've played it seems like the story is there just to create the atmosphere, which is very well done IMO.  I haven't gotten very far as I've said so I don't know if the missions will become stale or not...but for MMO's they typically do.  At least every one I've ever played.  

We'll see how it goes but I'm liking it a lot so far.  I didn't play Destiny so I can't make any comparisons.  I saw my son playing Destiny and it just looked generic to me, as far as the look of the game. 

i'm not too far either, and the fact that world pvp (dark zone) exists makes it 10x better than destiny already. i just have zero interest in the story and so far the missions have been pretty repetitive.

9 hours ago, nickzz said:

i'm not too far either, and the fact that world pvp (dark zone) exists makes it 10x better than destiny already. i just have zero interest in the story and so far the missions have been pretty repetitive.

Like I said I think the story exists just to help create the atmosphere in the game.  And I honestly think this game has nailed it in that sense.  I actually feel like I'm in a city that's been devastated by plague and riots.  And each street looks different with little details that other games couldn't bother with.  I hate generic and repetitive landscapes and this one is far from generic.

I actually played a little bit today with a guy I met on the game that had a mic.  It was a lot of fun going in the dark zone.  The tension is real, particularly when you're calling in a chopper to air lift some loot away and everybody in there know's it.  So when you see some random guys just hanging around the extraction zones you know you might be in for a fight.

And I LOVE the cover system in this game.  Much more realistic, intuitive and useful than other games.  IMO Gears did that better than anyone and now this is better than Gears.  

Now that more folks are getting to the end game, I'm really liking the game more and more.  No, it's not because of this massive amount of content!  It's that you don't have to be SUPER hardcore when you play. Ultimately its about how you play instead of how good your gear is.  Sure, there is a threshold, but it seems much more possible to reach that threshold in a variety of ways.

I still love Destiny, but I just don't have the time and ability to get groups together to raid.  Like I'll have time, but it's hard to find a group to raid.  Or I'll get an invite from my clan, but I don't have the time.  So I'm kind of forever 290.  

In the Division, I probably wont get that 100k DPS rifle, but I should be good enough for most activities by the time I'm 30.  then again, I'm just speculating myself.

Archived