• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilson: Cravens under first-round consideration

jdpanther5

Just now, Promethean Forerunner said:

Perhaps but The Ravens and Steelers love him. If he's still in the second round, he'll go very early. If Cravens had played in the SEC and ran a 4.4, he'd be a Top 15 pick.

If he ran a 4.4 he'd be a top 15 pickregardless. SEC doesn't have anything to do with it. But he doesn't run a 4.4.

Cravens is from USC.  Don't act like he plays for some D2 school.  Pretty sure USC has more players in the NFL currently than any other school.  They'll probably have another 4-5 drafted or at least signed this year.

The Heisman winner is from Bama of all SEC schools and is considered a 2nd rounder by most.

I agree there's a ridiculous media SEC bias, but NFL talent evaluators look for talent period.  They don't care where the kid played.  If they like him and thinks he fits their system, they'll take him.  They may gravitate toward certain schooks for certain positions because they know that system translates, but for the most part they're simply looking for talent.  Its no coincidence that the best programs tend to have a lot of talent.

While I would love a first round pick going on a secondary player, unless an absolute steal drops to 30, I have a feeling we will be going DE in the first. He always seems to be planning for the future, and has shown he values the trenches more, and also doesn't want to develop players and see them leave.

I don't see the point in taking a secondary player in the first, just to potentially develop him for another team in the future when/if he outplays what gettleman is willing to spend on a secondary player.  Seems much more likely to draft a DE who develops into our starter opposite Ealy, and who he would be willing to spend the money on for a second contract. 

Throw in the fact that the last few secondary players we drafted were all 3rd and later(didn't look it up just going off memory) and it doesn't look like a first round CB or S is gonna happen. 

Our game plan has been to invest in the front 7 and fill in the gaps with a serviceable secondary. We seem to be the team where DBs can come to build their worth and get paid elsewhere.

I wouldn't be mad at all if we took Ogbah.  If it was Dodd, I'd just have to trust the Gman.  Is take Ogbah over Dodd all day everyday.

Ogbah's measurable plus his coach's comments specifically about Rivera and the Panthers have him very close to the top of my wish list.  Ogbah is no one year wonder either.  He's had a very good college career.  I'm surprised this kid isn't a top 20 lock.  The more I think about it the more I think he's the pick if he's there.

9 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

USC hasn't been ranked in the Top 15-20... in how many years??? Let's be honest here. They've been undergoing a retooling for years like Miami. Yeah, they're a prestigious program but it's not like those schools have been churning out prospects left and right. I mean, a national championship is a big fugging deal. Look at Ohio State's QBs. Neither were first rounders but had they declared at that time, both would have been drafted in the first 10 picks.

USC has 6 players drafted last year.  They've had over 30 drafted since 2010.  They're not in the poor house.

13 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

USC hasn't been ranked in the Top 15-20... in how many years??? Let's be honest here. They've been undergoing a retooling for years like Miami. Yeah, they're a prestigious program but it's not like those schools have been churning out prospects left and right. I mean, a national championship is a big fugging deal. Look at Ohio State's QBs. Neither were first rounders but had they declared at that time, both would have been drafted in the first 10 picks.

USC was ranked in the top 10 for 3 weeks literally last season lol. They are freaking USC not Oregon State.

Some unexpected dude falls to 30, at a position that's not a desperate need...we take him.

Gettleman then trades up in the 2nd for a Shepard, Cravens, Henry type. Hell, I could see GMan trading up twice this draft knowing what's already on the roster and having the extra 3rd comp pick next year.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we come out of this draft with only 4 players or something. All dudes Gettleman has a crush on, and he makes sure he gets his guys to finish out the 53 instead of having 6 draft picks and a ton of UDFA trying to make the squad. 

2 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

My point is when is the last time they've had more than one prospect go or even be hyped to go in the first round? It's not what it use to be.

Cravens is their first legitimate elite prospect in awhile and he's being perceived as a Day 2 prospect by some in here because he doesn't run 4.3 or 4.4. 

And then they plummeted out of the rankings...

They weren't respected during that time either.

This posting stinks of a woe is woe is me USC fan.  Despite not competing for national championships, USC has continued to field just about as much NFL talent as anyone.

7 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

My point is when is the last time they've had more than one prospect go or even be hyped to go in the first round? It's not what it use to be.

Cravens is their first legitimate elite prospect in awhile and he's being perceived as a Day 2 prospect by some in here because he doesn't run 4.3 or 4.4. 

And then they plummeted out of the rankings...

They weren't respected during that time either.

Last year? Leonard Williams was the 6th pick and pretty widely regarded as the #1 overall player in the draft and Nelson Agholor was the 22nd pick.

Archived