• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will B-Wegs break out this year?

Jeremy Igo

With our team so focused on the running game, and with Stew's injury history, I honestly think they'll keep Stew, Fozzy, CAP and Weg again.

Where do they skimp though to accommodate this? 

His impact hopefully won't be felt until next year. 

I really hope he is on the roster. If we try to PS him, he is as good as gone and I think we will be kicking our selves in a year or two. He looks every bit like a starting RB in the NFL. I felt like we would have been better off in the SB if he had been available to put him in after stew got banged up. I know stew stayed in but started subbing in Tolbert who cannot be an every down back.

16 minutes ago, jayflip said:

With our team so focused on the running game, and with Stew's injury history, I honestly think they'll keep Stew, Fozzy, CAP and Weg again.

Where do they skimp though to accommodate this? 

His impact hopefully won't be felt until next year. 

In Jeremy's roster projection, if we dropped from 10 Oline to 9 Oline, there'd be room for another RB.   I could see that being a distinct possibility.  (I was also thinking that 10th Oline spot could go to another TE or Devon Johnson as a FB to groom behind Tolbert)

He's going to have to impress like hell in training camp/the preseason. And as always, HOPEFULLY gets some reps with the 1st team at some point. 

The staff has to always worry about Stewart, so I think it's still in the cards to keep all of the RBs like last year. Whether he gets time to make an impact, not so sure yet. 

Player Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
Jonathan Stewart 242 989 4.1 44 6
Cam Newton 132 636 4.8 47 10
Mike Tolbert 62 256 4.1 29 1
Cameron Artis-Payne 45 183 4.1 31 1
Fozzy Whittaker 25 108 4.3 16 1

Looking at last year's stats, you wonder whether those 70 rushing attempts by CAP and Fozzy are all that's available for RB's not named Stewart. Cam's attempts were 28 more than the next closest QB and he's definitely a big part of the running game. How many of Tolbert's runs were because they wanted to run from the FB position and how many were just because he's dependable for short gains. No other team gives the ball to a FB to run with (2nd place goes to Zack Zenner with 17 carries for 60 yds.), so I think you'd have to consider Tolbert a RB in the Panthers' scheme. 

When you add Cam's attempts to Tolbert's, you end up with a 53 that's hard to crack if you're a RB. 

Archived