• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

(Forgive me Jeremy) Forum Format Poll

KB_fan

Sidebar pane poll  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which side of the page in the forumns do your prefer the sidebar pane?

• Right (old format)
    • Left (new format)
    • I don't care...

Hopefully I'll get used to it if Jeremy keeps the forum with the black frame on the left.  For today it's driving me crazy.  

Not that I'm trying to force change or anything (honest!), but I am curious.

Is it just me, or do others prefer the black pane on the right when reading a forum thread?

Cast your vote!

3 minutes ago, sharkkiller said:

Putting it on the left makes sense, since English reads from left to right. Will help drive traffic to those articles. That said, I don't really care.

But having the text of the forums start in the center of the page and run to the right is very awkward to read.   I find I'm keeping my head turned to the right constantly as I read an type.   I wan the forum text to be close to centered on the page.

On the main page with the list of topics I have no problem with the pane being on the left, but in the actual thread, I'd much prefer it on the right.

i don't know if i'm an outlier here but i only go to the main page for news when jeremy posts a thread with a link. i imagine most forum posters are the same, and that a huge percentage of the traffic to that page is driven by google searches from people who don't post on the forum.

the magisteria overlap but i can't imagine new placement will drive a significant amount of new traffic from the forum user demographic, not enough to make it worth the mass adjustment

2 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

But having the text of the forums start in the center of the page and run to the right is very awkward to read.   I find I'm keeping my head turned to the right constantly as I read an type.   I wan the forum text to be close to centered on the page.

right, this is key for me. standard web browsing experience mimics thousands of years of reading texts in the west: your eye is trained to drop down to the left margin and read right across the page. arbitrary or not (it is) it's how reading is ingrained in the western world and it's a major visual and ergonomic disruption to start in the center of a page. imho it is also aesthetically unpleasing for this reason. 

Archived