• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DEs

ncfan

1 hour ago, pantherj said:

At the very least you want to draft an improvement over Remmers somewhere in the draft, but not the 1st round. Although if Cam Robinson falls to us in the 1st you could put him at RT to replace Remmers assuming Oher returns. If he doesn't return you can put Cam at LT. So you end up with an upgraded O-line whether Oher returns or not.

If RB Leonard Fournette falls then we could draft Stews eventual replacement and go back to the two headed monster approach and have insurance if Stew goes down for a few weeks with injury yet again.

No way we touch Robinson after his arrest last year (possession of weed and a stolen firearm). Dude has off the field issues.

we get Fournette or any RB early, Stewart is gone.  We will owe Stewart a lot of $$$ next year if we keep him from Hurneys huge contract.  And we can finally save a ton of money next year cutting him, would open up around 5mil next year

12 hours ago, PantherBuckeye89 said:

Garrett is obviously what Garrett is, possibly the best bona fide player in the draft. We would have to lose out and have the Browns/Niners/Etc fall in love with sketchy QB's in a year you could see a decent FA QB markets and trade possibilities.

Taco Charlton I see rising up draft boards due to measurable, but I like him in a trade down scenario.

Walker will fall to the 2nd round because of his height. Same as CJ, and again he is the second coming of CJ. I'd like Jamal Adams or the best OT available in the 1st and Walker in the 2nd. If somehow Garrett fell though, no brainer. Then nab one of the USC OT's in the 2nd.

I'm torn over spending money on the secondary in the offseason and going nuts for OL/DL in the draft with a RB in the mix, or patching up the O-Line in FA and going from there.

Walker is a 2nd/3rd round option for us as well as Taco.

Taco isn't just shooting up just because his measureables.  He's a good athlete that's been pretty raw that Harbaugh finally coached up.   He looked like the best defensive player on the field in the Ohio state game.  In the backfield most plays

6 hours ago, ncfan said:

Walker is a 2nd/3rd round option for us as well as Taco.

Taco isn't just shooting up just because his measureables.  He's a good athlete that's been pretty raw that Harbaugh finally coached up.   He looked like the best defensive player on the field in the Ohio state game.  In the backfield most plays

I agree on Taco as an athlete that Harbaugh coached up. That's why I think he shoots up. He has a JPP vibe about him. Personally I think he jumps to the late 1st round. Perfect for a trade down scenario. But based on where we picking as of now, no. However, at the same time, if a guy is YOUR guy, send in the slip(Bradberry)...

Walker will be there in the 2nd, and keep an eye on either Sam Hubbard or Tyquan Lewis from OSU if either declare!

8 hours ago, pantherj said:

At the very least you want to draft an improvement over Remmers somewhere in the draft, but not the 1st round. Although if Cam Robinson falls to us in the 1st you could put him at RT to replace Remmers assuming Oher returns. If he doesn't return you can put Cam at LT. So you end up with an upgraded O-line whether Oher returns or not.

If RB Leonard Fournette falls then we could draft Stews eventual replacement and go back to the two headed monster approach and have insurance if Stew goes down for a few weeks with injury yet again.

Of course I want protection for Cam. I'm just unsure of how I want to go about it. We also need to improve our run blocking. I just can't decide if we should spend on the o-line or draft.

A lot of the lineman, offensive and defensive, that I like in the draft project as 2nd-4th rounders. If we can't land a Garrett, please trade down. I would take Jamal Adams but I'm getting to that point where I'd rather spend big in the secondary and focus the draft on both fronts. It worked for the Cowboys.

That's brings me to Fournette. Sure, a phenomenal talent. Second only to Zeke when he enters the league. Hurley is there too. But the Cowboys could afford Zeke. Other pieces were in place. We don't have the line to allow Fournette to dominate. Look at what Bama did to him, and look at what Zeke did to Bama. Plus, this is a DEEP RB class. We need one. Make up for not taking my man Jordan Howard last year. I'd be tickled if James Conner declared and we grabbed him in the 3rd. And I'd be happy with Corey Clement, DeVeon Smith, Royce Freeman, a big bully to pair with CAP who we are currently screwing. 

I would throw a big contract at Jason Pierre Paul. Resign Short and bring back Charles on the cheap. 

A starting line of JPP, Short, Star, and CJ is very formidable for next year and if we can somehow keep Addison and rotate in Butler and Ealy, I think our dline returns to a strength. 

I'd use the draft to address the offense. I'd take Fournette, Cook, or Mike Williams in the first. Give Cam another horse to take some strain off. 

Didnt mean to hijack the thread. Just wanted to lay out my wish list which doesn't involve drafting a defensive end. 

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, stbugs said:

I like the DEs in the 2nd as well. I'm interested to see Barnett as well because he's close to Charles Johnson/Ealy weight. There's a lot of edge rushers/DEs. Depends on if we have a weight limit we are looking at, because guys like Smoot, Lawson, McKinley, Harris, Carraway, Hall, Lewis and Hubbard are in that 255-265 range. Guys like Charlton and Walker are in that 270-280 range. Lots of talent in the pass rusher/DE group this year. Addison is considered to small for every down and he's about the exact same size as Carraway who's the lightest of the guys I listed.

Im still not sold on Barnett in the first.  Maybe late first if we trade down.  Barnett relies so much on his speed.  That in addition to his height and length just seems he'd fit better as a 3-4 OLB.  Harris has me wary since hes coming out of Mizzou so hyped, kinda similar to the Texas A&M OT's that are hyped top of their position every year.

Still my favorite 3 are Solomon Thomas, Taco, and Walker.  (Garrett aint falling)

Walker reminds me the most of CJ.  Good power speed combo but works hard and plays hard every down.  Walker wont be the biggest "freak" at the combine (though will put up some impressive numbers) he is always making big plays and even bigger ones down the stretch (see late sacks vs Florida this year,  blocked XP vs Miami to win the game, all the sacks 2nd half vs Ole Miss to help big comeback win)

Taco is like Nassib last year.  Nassib was one of the guys I liked the most last year.  Despite only blowing up his last year, he impressed me with his Luke type motor.  Taco doesnt have the same type motor which is hard to find butstill has the tools for a good 4-3 DE.  4-3 DE generally the best a little taller and longer.  Taco has that woth some size and speed.  Was araw athlete that Harbaugh did a heckuva a job grooming.  Taco reminds me of Danielle Hunter for the Vikings.  Hunter was a long good athlete like Taco,  he had the tools but never blew up like Taco has before jumping.  Hunter has turned out pretty well in his 2nd year.  Had that hit for a safety vs us and was in the backfield all day.

Solomon Thomas.  This one has been quiet so far.  He hasnt declared early yet.  Thomas is shorter like Barnett and Walker.  Thomas has a good motor on him,  smart and one of the best heads on him.  What I like the most is his hands and strength.  Everyone Loves the super speedy rushers but you have to have power as well to make it in the league.  Thomas is Really powerful (his teamates call him Hercules)  My favorite Trait for any DL edge or interior is hands.  The best DL in the league all have them.  Thomas loves boxing as a hobby outside of school and football, and you can tell with his punch.  Watching him reminds me of Suh except on the edge.  Suh wasnt the most athletic and not even the strongest DL coming out but had that punch and hand technique that has made him so dominant.  Thomas rushes well off the edge but with his strength and smarts, he really holds up well in run support not blowing by and plowung through to the RB.

29 minutes ago, stirs said:

At 11, Barnett is coming into range, especially if we drop a few more spots

https://www.google.com/amp/tenntruth.com/2016/12/20/vols-football-nfl-draft-analyst-praises-derek-barnett/amp/?client=safari

Time will tell, but I think he was lost last night.  A complete DE, can play the run, consistent production (Reggie White's sack record), played at the highest level, still young (20 years old, a true Junior), zero durability or character flaws, etc.  That's a top 10 pick.  I REALLY hope I'm wrong.

Several mid round guys I'm keeping an eye on, especially if they measure up (Gettleman seems to prefer certain measurements at each position).  Dawuane Smoot, the senior from Illinois consistently gets pressure but is not the best finisher.  Then there's Harold Landry (BC), Tyquan Lewis (OSU), Duke Ejiofor (Wake) and Bradley Chubb (NC State) that have the production but need more information that would come out if they declare.

2 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

I think at 11, Barnett would be a great pick. Super athletic and very productive at UT.  If Fournette, Cook, & Adams are gone, and Barnett is available, I'd be happy with the pick. 

More mocks have him in the top 10 than not.  Some even in the top 6 so even at 7 might not have been enough.  Again look at what Mayock posted above about him even dropping into coverage.  Hope like crazy I'm wrong because to get him outside the top 10 sounds too good to be true.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday showed how stacked this DE class is. 

Read where Barnett looked good getting to the QB (though im still convinced he's better suited for a 3-4 OLB)

Saw a car down from us tailgating yesterday have highlights from the UNC-Stanford game and looked like Solomon Thomas looked like a man out there.

2 guys from the Orange bowl I watched yesterday though.

Taco Charlton- Really good athlete.  FSU seemed to have realized and got some help on him.  The One big sack he had where he injured the QB he came off unblocked (missed asignment by FSU OL).  Had all the tools to be great and is still learning, almost identical to Danielle Hunter for the Vikings for a comparison.

Demarcus Walker- by far the best player on the field, even over Cook (cant just look at the stats).  Walker reminds me Hardy in a sense where he can play all over the line (remember those Nascar packages with Hardy).  Kid is a Bully on the edge and will out work you and to quick inside if he makes a move inside.  Kid is Great in run support and thats why I believe he is better suited for our 4-3 DE spot (very well rounded lineman not just a rusher). His effort penetrating to the RB was impressive.  On sweeps or runs on the edge he went ran east to west great.  His 4 TFL's and helped lead his defense to 15 TFLs against one of colleges best Run blocking OL was great.  At getting pressure, again he was to quick if he made a move to the inside and could just Bull OTs from the outside.  Only had 1 sack which was on a big key play late (again seems like the bigger the play he steps it up a notch) but was withing grasp of the QB multple times causing the QB to move and sacked by another defender.  His motor is like Thomas Davis and was going 200% everyplay.  Never once saw him start to take a play off or slow down.  Kid isnt going to be the biggest star at the combine but should be a heckuva a player.

Side note 

Butt- was back up from a beer run and missed the injury.  Prior, had a couple good catches but seemed more right place right time.  His blocking was every bit what I had been reading, Terrible.  Michigan Really struggled running the ball, and he was having a real hard time trying to block.  Seemed the other TE who came in for him did a Much better job.  He would not be a upgrade for Dickson but could be a Olsen replacement as a pass catcher Down the road.

Cook had good stats but the holes he got were more impressive.  I saw him several time when there wasnt a big hole, his lack of vision was shocking.  Twice right on our side og the field he cut right into the group of defenders at the line (i kept seeing that Trent Richardson meme).  Several times he did the same thing that I see a lot every week that makes me frustrated.  His speed is his whole game (ala Chris Johnson) and often he cuts it outside on the edge then cuts it into the defender if he is going to juke him (have never seen him juke anyone, seems stiff the in that category) or try to run over the guy (but at 205 that raely happens)  when he can keep the edge and outrun the defender for the big gain.

they put him out as a pass catcher and with peppers out no one had the athletic abilty to cover him.  

Archived