• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DEs

ncfan

This is going to be a weakness thats going to need to be addressed.

Not only is it a weak point this year thus far.  But charles Johnson may not be here after this year and if he does not much longer. Next year will be Ealys last year on rookie contract.

Garrett is the stud top 3 pick.  No way we get him.

Really interested to keep an eye on this postion.

Who you guys like?

I dont really like the top guys outside of Garrett.  No length or size seems moee fit for 3-4 olb

My favorite 2 guy the last 2 draft went in the 3rd. Nassib and Hunter (who had the safety sack on the bull rush on Cam. Both long athletes who already looking like they will be studs

Favorite so far (havnt looked to deep considering its early)

Deatrich Wise jr-Arkansas

Yeah after ignoring the fug out of the Defensive End problem we had last year and this year, I really hope the Panthers organization makes it a top priority to get a premium pass rusher or even two during this next draft. Charles Johnson is done and Kony Ealy had a good Super Bowl but isn't consistent enough during the regular season. If nothing else these teams we keep getting beat by (Denver, Vikings) have been eating us alive by having really good pressure from the edge and the Panthers are dumb as fug for failing to heed their example and being satisfied with mediocre talent at DE.  

I haven't done much research into the 2017 draft class, I usually don't get into it too much until December or January when we're near the end of the college football season and the top talents are more clear. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, stirs said:

From May

The kid is pretty good but i want to see him at the combine.  See if he is on the short end of 6'3 or on the tall end.

DE in our 4-3 system seem to thrive the best in the taller longer mold.

On 10/10/2016 at 10:21 AM, ncfan said:

The kid is pretty good but i want to see him at the combine.  See if he is on the short end of 6'3 or on the tall end.

DE in our 4-3 system seem to thrive the best in the taller longer mold.

CJ played really well for us for years at 6'2". 

IMO, Gentleman has to get over his hard on for guys with ideal to plus size height/weight measurables. Lots of great players haven't fit the the stereotype physically. Draft players, not guys who pass the eyeball test.  He would've probably not even had a guy like CJ or Dwight Freeney , hell maybe even Smitty at WR, on his draft board because they didn't fit his ideal of what a DE should look like and he would've missed out on great players.

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

the more I watch Garrett the more I see a 3-4 type edge rusher. 

I feel the exact opposite.  You generally see the shorter smaller guys like the Barnetts slide over to the 3-4 OLB edeg guy.

Garrett is 100% a 4-3 DE,  Tall and Long along with big and powerful.  Has the speed and quickness/jump that the Barnetts have but very powerful can bullrush OT back and can set the edge in run support, something you won't see Barnett.  watch how he just bull rushes the OT in a few of these.

Outside of Garrett i'm not overly on the top DE's for our D.

Now I really like 2 potential guys who will be around for our 3rd rd pick.

Wise Jr (Arkansas)

Taco Charlton (Michigan) sleeper rising up the boards.  Reminds me A Lot of Danielle Hunter with the vikings who they drafted 2 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ncfan said:

Garrett, Taco Charlton, Walker, Solomon Thomas are my guys for DE

Garrett is obviously what Garrett is, possibly the best bona fide player in the draft. We would have to lose out and have the Browns/Niners/Etc fall in love with sketchy QB's in a year you could see a decent FA QB markets and trade possibilities.

Taco Charlton I see rising up draft boards due to measurable, but I like him in a trade down scenario.

Walker will fall to the 2nd round because of his height. Same as CJ, and again he is the second coming of CJ. I'd like Jamal Adams or the best OT available in the 1st and Walker in the 2nd. If somehow Garrett fell though, no brainer. Then nab one of the USC OT's in the 2nd.

I'm torn over spending money on the secondary in the offseason and going nuts for OL/DL in the draft with a RB in the mix, or patching up the O-Line in FA and going from there.

At the very least you want to draft an improvement over Remmers somewhere in the draft, but not the 1st round. Although if Cam Robinson falls to us in the 1st you could put him at RT to replace Remmers assuming Oher returns. If he doesn't return you can put Cam at LT. So you end up with an upgraded O-line whether Oher returns or not.

If RB Leonard Fournette falls then we could draft Stews eventual replacement and go back to the two headed monster approach and have insurance if Stew goes down for a few weeks with injury yet again.

Archived