• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beason chimes in on Nippleshorts

SCP

9 hours ago, SCP said:

Joe Person spoke with Jon Beason and he opined about the state of our Panthers and Dave Gettleman

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article109508097.html

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I read this independently of the huddle yesterday 

it would  be hard pressed to disagree with what beason says here. Players understand what these moves this year meant to them far more than we do

its sad. Very sad. 

The moves done this year were not necessary 

in essence, not only did Gettleman lose all secondary continuity, he then turned around and wasted 3 draft picks to cover  up that knee jerk decision with Norman, add that to letting our best corner walk and getting absolutely nothing for him

This was atrocious 

Those three draft picks could have gone far to infuse this team in key areas that need a talent upgrade  and god knows there is more than one

this is over and done now but if anyone on this board thinks that scenario was not noticed by the players, that would be a mistake 

9 hours ago, pantherj said:

I don't care at all if we have to go through some cap hell for a major run at the SB with a loaded team. What in the hell have I been waiting for this entire gotdamn time?! A a loaded run at the gotdamn SB! What does fatass do? Dumps our best defender and brings in poo nothing! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!

tumblr_inline_o65ofv23n11t1k0l9_500.gif

Right! A Super Bowl win is the goal! We were close to one last year, so what does dude do? We start a got damn rebuild in the secondary. The same opportunistic secondary that was picking passes left and right last year. I understood getting rid of Harper. Ok, that's fine. After that, you go and get a mid tier free agent to replace him and you don't move Coleman, who had about 7 of those picks last year, to SS. You keep him at FS. You also don't remove that tag from Norman. You keep him, and then we go out there and make another run at a SB. People keep saying this is the same team, but this is not the same team.

Getteman also has to realize Cam and Luke are not the only ones on the team who deserve big contracts. Norman absolutely deserved one, and he should've gotten one from us. I'm amazed at how a team like Seattle kept their whole secondary in tact, gave them big contracts, and was still able to give big contracts to Wilson, Baldwin, and Graham. A good GM can maneuver and get it done.

19 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

The moves done this year were not necessary 

in essence, not only did Gettleman lose all secondary continuity, he then turned around and wasted 3 draft picks to cover  up that knee jerk decision with Norman, add that to letting our best corner walk and getting absolutely nothing for him

This was atrocious 

Those three draft picks could have gone far to infuse this team in key areas that need a talent upgrade  and god knows there is more than one

this is over and done now but if anyone on this board thinks that scenario was not noticed by the players, that would be a mistake 

Yep. If Beason pointed this out, you can bet there are vets on the team who feel the same way. 

22 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I like to think of it differently and give people more credit.  More trying to understand the bad instead of ignoring it.

Or most trying to give him the benefit of the doubt cuz this is his first truly bad season. He deserves a chance to fix it 

9 hours ago, carolinajay said:

Spending big in free agency is a crap shoot. Outside of josh what star player did Gettleman drop?

Honestly, if we keep Josh and bring in Weddle, this team is likely undefeated right now. 

Or if you wanted to go offense, then give me a Fleener and a Russell Okung and this offense is dropping 40+ a game. 

3 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

Or most trying to give him the benefit of the doubt cuz this is his first truly bad season. He deserves a chance to fix it 

Here's the issue.  WE JUST WENT TO THE SUPER BOWL.  How in the literal fug do you go from the Super Bowl to rebuilding in a span of 5 fuging games?  Please, someone let me know.  

7 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Here's the issue.  WE JUST WENT TO THE SUPER BOWL.  How in the literal fug do you go from the Super Bowl to rebuilding in a span of 5 fuging games?  Please, someone let me know.  

I think it was a little ego with Josh Norman. Every other Gettleman release kind of made sense - except for maybe Steve Smith. I do not believe Smith would have prevented Cam from being a leader on this team. He never held Jake back. 

The thing is, this was a great free agency class for a team on the brink. Older talent that could still make plays and be counted on, but probably didn't have many more years left. 

This was the season to go all out. May have been able to get 2 rings out of this group, plus Norman, Weddle and maybe Fleener. Or even Norman and Okung. Or God forbid, make some moves and keep Norman, while bringing in Okung and Weddle. 

1 minute ago, Navy_football said:

I think it was a little ego with Josh Norman. Every other Gettleman release kind of made sense - except for maybe Steve Smith. I do not believe Smith would have prevented Cam from being a leader on this team. He never held Jake back. 

The thing is, this was a great free agency class for a team on the brink. Older talent that could still make plays and be counted on, but probably didn't have many more years left. 

This was the season to go all out. May have been able to get 2 rings out of this group, plus Norman, Weddle and maybe Fleener. Or even Norman and Okung. Or God forbid, make some moves and keep Norman, while bringing in Okung and Weddle. 

Agreed, 100 percent on everything you stated.  Well put, and well done.  

1 hour ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Gross is one that still pisses me off til this day.  Gettlemen demanded he take a pay cut pretty much.  Because of that, he retired the year after.  While Gross was still playing at a Pro Bowl level.  

I don't believe he appreciated how G-man handled 89 either.

Archived