• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

LOL: Ron on the decision not to go for it on 4th and 1

truthjuice

I'll be honest. I would be more willing to forgive the loss if Ron had been able to stand up and say, "You know what, our season was on the line, not just this game. I put the game in the hands of the best player on our team. We came up short, and sometimes that happens, but we wanted to win, we needed to win. This play was make or break for our season. If you can't understand that, then maybe you shouldn't be here. Joe the door is over there."

25 minutes ago, arbnranger said:

Fourth and 1 is always the question. In reality it was more like 4th and 2.

I wanted him to go for it and thought he should have...But... at that point in the game, that is a huge momentum swing one way or the other. Enough of momentum swing to potentially win the game.

Rivera didn't have any confidence in the decimated offensive line. As a fan, go for it man, nothing to lose. As a coach, I see where he erred on the side of caution.

Logic vs emotion. Tough choice no matter how you look at it.

I thought it was less than a yard. Didn't KB reach for it when he was out of bounds? Could have sworn he was only a couple of feet away. That actually does change the decision.

Live, I was on the fence about going for it. Too much time on the clock, not the best field position and to my recollection, it was a rather long yard. Yet, my instincts wanted me to go for it. Eventually, we actually got the Raiders into a third and long but just like in the Tampa game, we allowed the conversion. Now, Tampa I'm far more upset about because for all the turnovers, we were moving the ball better between the twenties. Oakland was more big plays or nothing.

In the end, we ended up with the ball with a chance to win anyways and with the likelihood Oakland had little chance to score again. Offense got their opportunity after all but when it mattered the most, we didn't get it done. Can't say they didn't try but with so many players down, this team has just no margin of error compared to many of our opponents.

3 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

I thought it was less than a yard. Didn't KB reach for it when he was out of bounds? Could have sworn he was only a couple of feet away. That actually does change the decision.

I could be getting my fourth downs mixed up so you might be right. I already deleted it from my DVR so I couldn't check. Either way, as a fan I definitely felt like he should go for it, but to your point, a yard does make a big difference in decision making.

The concept he is missing is tempo. Your defense is leaking points and is the reason why your losing the game yet you choose to let them play rather than your offense which is booming and is the reason your still in the game in the first place. Now I would agree with his decision if the offense was stagnant or even if we had a top 5 defense like the previous years. Ron is lacking the ability to change and adapt which is the downside to being conservative.

1 hour ago, Paa Langfart said:

Maybe ron has no faith in Shulas play calling and that is why he failed to go for it.

Then he should do something about it. It's just a no brainer. Shula wants to run up the gut when it doesn't matter. If I'm Ron, I'm yelling to go for it. Cam gets that more than he won't. 

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

LOL, the words "read" and "option" crossed his mind and he instantly yelled for the punter.

LMAO or he wanted Cam to take three steps, spin move then dump it off to Fozzy. 

47 minutes ago, Salisburysean98 said:

And right now he's playing the game just to play it, and the Raiders are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook.

LOL. 

22 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'll be honest. I would be more willing to forgive the loss if Ron had been able to stand up and say, "You know what, our season was on the line, not just this game. I put the game in the hands of the best player on our team. We came up short, and sometimes that happens, but we wanted to win, we needed to win. This play was make or break for our season. If you can't understand that, then maybe you shouldn't be here. Joe the door is over there."

That'll never happen. That loss wouldn't hurt so much if he had given us a chance. I had more faith in the offense than anything at that point. 

13 minutes ago, arbnranger said:

I could be getting my fourth downs mixed up so you might be right. I already deleted it from my DVR so I couldn't check. Either way, as a fan I definitely felt like he should go for it, but to your point, a yard does make a big difference in decision making.

I can confirm it was under 1 yard for the first down. I don't forget something like that at such a key point of the game. 

1 hour ago, Navy_football said:

I hear what you're saying. But they had played decent enough up to that point. 

And this situation would be best suited for the bigger, stronger, not necessarily better, offensive linemen. Hit the man in front of you and push. The dline has to take them on. No time or room for hand strikes or moves. Big against big and will against will - with the advantage of knowing the snap count. 

It just wasn't the slam dunk you guys make it out to be. We got the ball back and ran out of downs not out of time. We had opportunity to score which renders his decision certainly as legit or more than going for it. Everyone is questioning it because we lost plain and simple

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Oh, there you go, great come back argument. It was a bad call, most fans think it was a bad call. When I'm playing one of the worst run stopping Ds in the league, I don't give the ball back to one of the top offenses and hope we stop them in a tie game. Especially if we are fighting for every win just to make the playoffs. Oh, but I am not an OC for a pro team, so I can't argue that we made a mistake.

How about you actually dispute my reasoning? Or, are you not an OC for a pro team? Packers won the game by continuing a drive on 3rd and 2 with a pass. Guess what, Aaron Rodgers is their strength, not their D or their run game. They didn't want to run one play and punt and give Philly any chance with their awful D. They wanted to close out the game with a first down. I agreed with the call. If Rodgers can't do it, so be it, but they put the ball in their best player's hands. We took it out of ours and put our hopes on the D and guess what, it didn't work.

As you said most fans think it was a bad call. Thank goodness fans don't make the decisions about the team or we would be Cleveland and would go through new coaches and assistants every year. You assume that fan consensus matters. 

As for your reasoning, it is the old after the fact what we should of, could of, done. It is easy to say we should have given it to Stewart up the middle or did a read option to the outside with Cam or threw it to Olsen on a bootleg. That isn't logic or reasoning so much as doing the what if game.

Lastly what do you.mean it didn't work? We kicked to them and stopped them and had almost 2 minutes left on the clock. The defense did their job, the offense failed to move into field goal range.

19 minutes ago, panthers1234 said:

I can confirm it was under 1 yard for the first down. I don't forget something like that at such a key point of the game. 

Thanks, I thought it was was pretty close, but I honestly never looked at the yard marker. I just recall KB reaching past the first down after going out of bounds. I know he has some long arms but I don't think they are 2 yards long. 

Archived