• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What do you make out of Cams press conference?

chknwing

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

Sportrac has us at almost 19 (5th most). 

Not sure how accurate they are though 

Because we released players during the season and replaced them with vets who do not count against salary cap because they make $$$ per week instead of salary, thus not effecting salary cap numbers.

DG is a business man, and had better be.  In the past, we have had GM's who took expensive, short term solutions to huge problems and they did not turn out well.  Redskins are famous for throwing money at guys with limited potential.  It has not worked well for them.  Winning on the first week of Free Agency does not mean winning during the season

3 minutes ago, truthjuice said:

Still, what drama? I haven't watched yet but it was mentioned that he said he was joking. Either way, I don't think anyone - not even Gettleman - should jump on the "drama" train unless his ego or feelings are hurt. I also don't think we have anything to worry about at QB for another 5 years or so. I don't see Cam just quitting like that. 

You are a Cam fan and a Panther fan.  If you step back and were discussing the Packers or something, it would be easier to be more objective.  Most fans find objectivity tough with their own team

I am reminded of the flack I took for saying DeAngelo had become expensive and we should never have signed 2 really expensive RB's.  "Double Trouble ain't going nowhere" was always the response.  Again, non objective, short term answers to long term questions.

4 minutes ago, stirs said:

You are a Cam fan and a Panther fan.  If you step back and were discussing the Packers or something, it would be easier to be more objective.  Most fans find objectivity tough with their own team

I have no issues being objective.  For example, I think we should trade Dave to Harris Teeter for free VIC cards for everyone.  Not only am I objective but a man of the people

Just now, stirs said:

I don't disagree that he can, at any moment, walk away from the game. I think he's done and is doing a nice job of setting himself up outside of football to constantly make lots of money. However, I don't think he will just quit. Or maybe it's the fact that I hope he doesn't. I've said too that I don't see him playing after he leaves Carolina. I just don't take much to these comments like he's contemplating retirement or DG is ready to trade him today. Now you wanna start pushing a player out? Jump the gun in trying to replace him lol. 

13 minutes ago, CRA said:

Sportrac has us at almost 19 (5th most). 

Not sure how accurate they are though 

So...19 - 14 to Josh = 5 mil. Which is what we would have had had we kept Josh. Then we say, bye bye Josh, and that 5mil goes to 19. Sounds good for the Cap. After the fact.

1 minute ago, stirs said:

I am reminded of the flack I took for saying DeAngelo had become expensive and we should never have signed 2 really expensive RB's.  "Double Trouble ain't going nowhere" was always the response.  Again, non objective, short term answers to long term questions.

98% of the board basically pleaded and begged for all of Hurney's horrible contracts....and defended them tooth and nail.  

Not the Jake extension but most of the Hurney nonsense in that window was endorsed here

1 minute ago, truthjuice said:

I don't disagree that he can, at any moment, walk away from the game. I think he's done and is doing a nice job of setting himself up outside of football to constantly make lots of money. However, I don't think he will just quit. Or maybe it's the fact that I hope he doesn't. I've said too that I don't see him playing after he leaves Carolina. I just don't take much to these comments like he's contemplating retirement or DG is ready to trade him today. Now you wanna start pushing a player out? Jump the gun in trying to replace him lol. 

Again, I have been watching football since the late 60's, been a fan of guys who are now dead.  I am past the fandom that makes me want to keep a guy forever.  Forever in football is about an average of 5 years.  I am not and cannot push a guy out.  I am just discussing football players, contracts, drafts and the poker play which is "how long do you hold em"

1 minute ago, stirs said:

Again, I have been watching football since the late 60's, been a fan of guys who are now dead.  I am past the fandom that makes me want to keep a guy forever.  Forever in football is about an average of 5 years.  I am not and cannot push a guy out.  I am just discussing football players, contracts, drafts and the poker play which is "how long do you hold em"

Bingo.  It's like playing stock...  buy low, sell high and know exactly when to let go.

18 minutes ago, stirs said:

Most people live in the moment.  DG nor any GM can have that mindset.  You always have to be looking down the road.

One year removed and Bradberry is going to be as good as Norman and for how much difference in money?  Good move.

Anyway, back to Cam.  On one hand, you are a fan and want the guy as your QB forever, especially when remembering all the runs for TD's and cannon arm throws.  

Then, reality and long term vision tells you that Cam has a whole lot more going on in life than YOUR entertainment value.  He has ventures outside football already and the money to walk away from the game at any time.  With this in mind, and due to the fact that he will have to become a primarily passing QB due to injury risks, then the future might be less than more.  I personally suspect he will not even play out his current contract, much less sign a new one.

So, what do you do with this as a GM?  Wait until he retires leaving you with nothing?  Or do you do something profound while he still has trade value?

IF, you were going to do something, this offseason would be the one.

Cleveland has been in search of a QB for about 30 years and is in a constant losing situation because they cannot draft nor develop one.  They would be the team to fleece for a ton of picks only to find out that Cam retires after the 2018 season. (hypothetical)

Clevelands first pick in this years draft, plus Emanual Ogbah, and next years first.

We get Garrett and Ogbah and Fournette immediately.  Without Cam contract, we sign someone like Cousins and use the other draft picks and cap room to sprinkle in Olineman and safety.

Anyway, you just have to be realistic and not relegate your thinking to the current Panther jersey you hold.

Who knows, Cam might play another 10 years and win 3 Super Bowls, but I doubt it

So...because Cam has a life outside of football. You are afraid of losing him?

Then, because you are afraid of your self made scenario. You decide you need to trade Cam?

Then somehow work it where we wind up with Garret, Ogbah, and Fournette?

Then have the nerve to say, "You just have to be realistic"?

I have never used this phrase before. But...Cool story bro.

On how long it will take for him to love football again in his "love-hate relationship" he has with the sport right now: "Next year. I can't do anything about it now, you know what I'm saying? I can't do anything about it now. So, for me I'm just taking it all in stride. That was a joke by the way. I don't want see on the Charlotte Observer, 'Cam loves, now he hates football. He may not come back next year.' I don't want to see that. Listen, I just want to get away from football just like every person by default. We're not going to the playoffs, so we just have to make the most of our opportunity right now. Like I say, I am just going to get 100 percent and miss it again."

Archived