• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we won't draft Offense in 1st Round

Catufb85

3 hours ago, PantherBuckeye89 said:

One, I'm talking bout OL and DL. Anyone who doesn't think DE is a priority insane. Two, it's called scouting....

Scouting, indeed.

Scouting will tell you not to spend the #8 overall pick on a player that is probably ranked #20 on your own board.

Or the 40th overall pick on a guy who is ranked #60.

And if your point is the Cowboys, they are average at *best* on the DL.  Thus your "stockpiling" point on the OL and the DL (as you just pointed out to me) goes right out the window.  Check out the Cowboy's 2-deep on the DL here:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/depth-chart

If you are referring (as you said) to OL *and* to DL, then I don't see your point at all about "stockpiling".

3 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

What if the Panther's draft Fournette and he goes on to become the OROY? Just think of the consequences. We may never see a day where Mike Shula isn't calling the plays.

Ron has health concerns and has to step down......Welcome your new HC Mike Shula!!!! 

And he signed a new ten year contract.....

In my oh so not so humble opinion. There is really only 4 players worth our pick. Garret, Barnett, Adams, and Fournette.

When you are picking 8th, you need to get yourself a Stud. If you can guarantee me someone out side those 4 will be a Stud, I'll go with it. Otherwise, get outta here.

If we don't get one of those kids. Trade back and get more picks. The problem with that scenario? Everybody else knows the talent falls off a cliff after those guys. So no on would be willing to trade with us.

So in conclusion. Trade up, get you a Stud, and go from there. Or stay put, hope to get a Stud, and suffer if you don't.

I would like to add. I'm on the McDowell train. The dude has all the tools to be great. And he can play all 4 Dline positions.

I think we do the opposite of the OP and go offense in the 1st and 2nd.

Fournette at 1.8 and Roderick Johnson at 2.8

Reast of the draft is BPA at OL/DE and maybe some safety and kicker in there.

I say maybe some safety because I fully expect a vet signing of a safety.

Sent from my SM-G930P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

16 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

In my oh so not so humble opinion. There is really only 4 players worth our pick. Garret, Barnett, Adams, and Fournette.

When you are picking 8th, you need to get yourself a Stud. If you can guarantee me someone out side those 4 will be a Stud, I'll go with it. Otherwise, get outta here.

If we don't get one of those kids. Trade back and get more picks. The problem with that scenario? Everybody else knows the talent falls off a cliff after those guys. So no on would be willing to trade with us.

So in conclusion. Trade up, get you a Stud, and go from there. Or stay put, hope to get a Stud, and suffer if you don't.

I would like to add. I'm on the McDowell train. The dude has all the tools to be great. And he can play all 4 Dline positions.

We will get a stud.  Moving up is EXPENSIVE in the top 10 however.

Many people LOVE Hooker.  Obviously he's a great prospect but count me as one that hopes the Titans or Chargers take him.  Very possible.

As GMan once said, "Go quahtahbacks go".  Those known and those unknown (Josh Allen from Wyoming?) will take up "multiple" selections before 8.

Moving down to 10 with the Bills for a 4th is as low as I go, period.  Going below the Saints and out of the top 10 is unlikely, unrealistic, and unattractive to me.  And I'd only do THAT if multiple guys are still on the board that I rate equally and know I'll get one of them by only dropping two spots.

Greg Olsen knew what he was doing by "slipping" on the 2 point conversion.  That or fate is truly on our side after all.

Greg Olsen knew what he was doing by "slipping" on the 2 point conversion.  That or fate is truly on our side after all.

Hah. I was thinking the same thing... and that Cam was doing so the whole game when it seemed like neither team wanted the win. Then, in my head, the TD to KB was just Cam saying "eff it, I cant take it anymore"

Sent from my SM-G930P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

Scouting, indeed.

Scouting will tell you not to spend the #8 overall pick on a player that is probably ranked #20 on your own board.

Or the 40th overall pick on a guy who is ranked #60.

And if your point is the Cowboys, they are average at *best* on the DL.  Thus your "stockpiling" point on the OL and the DL (as you just pointed out to me) goes right out the window.  Check out the Cowboy's 2-deep on the DL here:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/depth-chart

If you are referring (as you said) to OL *and* to DL, then I don't see your point at all about "stockpiling".

...and you have to suck for 10 years to be able to hoard up that many first and second round draft picks on the O line like Dallas did to get a line that good.

48 minutes ago, Nails said:

We will get a stud.  Moving up is EXPENSIVE in the top 10 however.

Many people LOVE Hooker.  Obviously he's a great prospect but count me as one that hopes the Titans or Chargers take him.  Very possible.

As GMan once said, "Go quahtahbacks go".  Those known and those unknown (Josh Allen from Wyoming?) will take up "multiple" selections before 8.

Moving down to 10 with the Bills for a 4th is as low as I go, period.  Going below the Saints and out of the top 10 is unlikely, unrealistic, and unattractive to me.  And I'd only do THAT if multiple guys are still on the board that I rate equally and know I'll get one of them by only dropping two spots.

I don't want Hooker. First, he is a FS, and we need a SS. Second. As a MSU fan, we have too dang many OSU players as it is.

I was just being goofy, for the most part anywho. IMO, if we stay where we are, we are going to pretty much get us a Stud. Where he plays? That's another thread.

I also, don't see a QB that will force someone to do anything drastic. There may not be a 1st round QB taken.

So basically, even though I had no relevant information. I just wanted to post anyway. Sometimes you feel like a nut.

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

I don't want Hooker. First, he is a FS, and we need a SS. Second. As a MSU fan, we have too dang many OSU players as it is.

I was just being goofy, for the most part anywho. IMO, if we stay where we are, we are going to pretty much get us a Stud. Where he plays? That's another thread.

I also, don't see a QB that will force someone to do anything drastic. There may not be a 1st round QB taken.

So basically, even though I had no relevant information. I just wanted to post anyway. Sometimes you feel like a nut.

I think you have to go back to say 96 where a qb hasn't been in the first round. Someone will rise... never fails. 

1 hour ago, micnificent28 said:

I think you have to go back to say 96 where a qb hasn't been in the first round. Someone will rise... never fails. 

Sooooo. We pick 8, 4 of the teams picking ahead of us need a QB. And maybe the Rams will be gracious enough to pick one as well. That leaves Jax, and SD. Both teams have pretty good track records for messing up the draft. So if the Football Gods will work with us. By the time we pick, Garrett, Barnett, Fournette, and Adams are all still sitting there. Now that is a bold prediction.

Even if there are no QBs taken ahead of us. I expect we are going to get a very talented young man. Heck, we have 4 picks in the 1st 3 rounds. If Gman can come close to duplicating his past successes in the draft, we should come out of the 3rd round with some real good talent.

We have money to spend. We have great draft position. No reason not to be excited about what is to come.

On 1/4/2017 at 2:53 AM, PantherBuckeye89 said:

I don't care what side of the ball it is, as long as its a lineman. 

We need to stockpile on as many lineman as possible with on RB pick because the draft is so talented at RB.

I'm not trying to be a jerk off, but I don't get the love this board has for obsessing over skill guys. Have you learned nothing from the Cowboys recent success, or the Patriots and their average joe blow skill guys tearing it up. The game is won up front. Cam has no protection in a heavy drop back and scan passing game and we only had so many sacks because of blitz packages exposing us if they don't work.

As far as offense vs defense, see our Super Bowl appearance. See the Seahawks/Broncos. Defense beats offense.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/short-lived-return-cowboys-randy-gregory-suspended-one-year-effective-immediately-222458024.html

That didn’t last long.

On Sunday, Dallas Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory played just his second game of this season and collected his first career sack. He had been suspended for the first 14 games of 2016 for multiple violations on the NFL’s policy on substances of abuse.

On Tuesday, the second-year player flew up to New York City for an appeal hearing after missing a drug test during his suspension, returning to Dallas on Wednesday. Though the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported that it was expected that Gregory would have an answer within 7-10 days, it came much faster.

On Thursday, the league announced that Gregory is suspended for one year, effective immediately, and must apply for reinstatement at the end of his year term.

Archived