• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we won't draft Offense in 1st Round

Catufb85

Although tons of mock drafts have us selecting Fournette or even Dalvin Cook at pick number 8 in next years draft.  With Gettleman's BPA and defensive philosophy I would almost bet we don't go offense in the draft.  Now this is all speculation because we haven't had even the last college game, combine, pro days, etc.  But just thinking of the resumes at hand and with more and more players declaring for the NFL draft with the college season coming to an end, even though I think Fournette or my pick Dalvin Cook at number 8, just doesn't seem like a reality at least to me. Heres why: TOO MUCH defensive talent in a very deep draft.  Top Defensive prospect that will most likely be available at 8

SS Jamal Adams

DE Derek Barnett

SS Malik Hooker (recently declared)

DE Jonathan Allen

S Jabrill Peppers

DE Carl Lawson.

All of these are top defensive prospects at their respective positions who potentially be available at pick 8.  Where as most "experts" or analyst have only 1-2 true offensive players going in top 10.  Other than the QB needy teams that will reach on quarterbacks this year in what one expert calls "the worst quarterback class since 2006" most only value Fournette, Dalvin Cook, Mike Williams, and maybe 1 of the left tackles going in the top 10 offensively.

I personally am on the Dalvin cook train at the moment after watching him in Florida State's bowl game.  But now that Jamal Adams (waiting decision)  and Malik Hooker should be available around 8 or even the monster DE Derek Barnett from UT could potentially be there.  I just see us taking more Defensive approach to this draft like the previous.

my just 2 cents.

Barnett will be there when we pick. Absolutely nothing makes sense for him to go ahead of us. Thanks to a Bengals win, looks like we get our chance to look at him.

Jamal Adams either goes to the Jets or us. If Jets opt for Fournette, or if Allen falls to them, then we're most likely getting Adams.

Malik Hooker - at this point - is a safe bet to go to San Diego, and possibly the Jets. San Diego needs a FS to replace Weddle, and Malik fits that role more than Adams ever would.

Allen won't be available for us. 

Everyone else is bottom 10 talent imho.

He will prolly draft a DE.  Big men allow you to compete.  You have to get pressure on the qb.  Those are his philosophies.  He has shown in the past that he is fine with bandaids in the safety position.  He needed a CB last year, drafted a DT in the first.  If hes not going after an LT in the first than expect it to be a DE.  Hell he may even trade up out the 2nd to get a 2nd DE.  Bookends both with a 5th year option.  Now that sounds more gettlemen to me.

7 minutes ago, OldNorthPowell said:

Then next season will be an episode of "Why Our Offense Sucks: A Story of a Franchise QB Looking For Help"

That doesn't mean we're not going offense the rest of the draft.

I expect a heavy dose of offense through rounds 2-5, maybe even more.

18 minutes ago, Catufb85 said:

Although tons of mock drafts have us selecting Fournette or even Dalvin Cook at pick number 8 in next years draft.  With Gettleman's BPA and defensive philosophy I would almost bet we don't go offense in the draft.  Now this is all speculation because we haven't had even the last college game, combine, pro days, etc.  But just thinking of the resumes at hand and with more and more players declaring for the NFL draft with the college season coming to an end, even though I think Fournette or my pick Dalvin Cook at number 8, just doesn't seem like a reality at least to me. Heres why: TOO MUCH defensive talent in a very deep draft.  Top Defensive prospect that will most likely be available at 8

SS Jamal Adams

DE Derek Barnett

SS Malik Hooker (recently declared)

DE Jonathan Allen

S Jabrill Peppers

DE Carl Lawson.

All of these are top defensive prospects at their respective positions who potentially be available at pick 8.  Where as most "experts" or analyst have only 1-2 true offensive players going in top 10.  Other than the QB needy teams that will reach on quarterbacks this year in what one expert calls "the worst quarterback class since 2006" most only value Fournette, Dalvin Cook, Mike Williams, and maybe 1 of the left tackles going in the top 10 offensively.

I personally am on the Dalvin cook train at the moment after watching him in Florida State's bowl game.  But now that Jamal Adams (waiting decision)  and Malik Hooker should be available around 8 or even the monster DE Derek Barnett from UT could potentially be there.  I just see us taking more Defensive approach to this draft like the previous.

my just 2 cents.

Fournette is better than all those defense players you named, the only better prospect is Garrett

I think you're right, but with regards to Jonathan Allen unless a character or medical issue comes up(i.e. Tunsil) there is zero chance he is there at 8. Also he would be a DT in 4-3, playing the same position as Short and Butler. He's only a DE in a 3-4. If he's there you trade down and get a bunch of picks from someone who really wants and needs him.

I know the "he won't be there thing" is played out, but there are just 2 players won't be there at 8 and they are Jonathan Allen and Myles Garrett. Everyone else has a decent chance as of right now.

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

that guy has hitched his wagon to complaining about the offense this offseason... it is insanity to reach at pick #8. If Adams or Barnette is there, Gettleman needs to grab one. Plenty of other picks to address the offense

The issue is we've only spent 1 first round pick on offense since drafting Cam and 2 second round picks, one of which is no longer on the roster.

Barnett will be there when we pick. Absolutely nothing makes sense for him to go ahead of us. Thanks to a Bengals win, looks like we get our chance to look at him.

Jamal Adams either goes to the Jets or us. If Jets opt for Fournette, or if Allen falls to them, then we're most likely getting Adams.

Malik Hooker - at this point - is a safe bet to go to San Diego, and possibly the Jets. San Diego needs a FS to replace Weddle, and Malik fits that role more than Adams ever would.

Allen won't be available for us. 

Everyone else is bottom 10 talent imho.

Sign JPP and draft Barnett. I'd be pretty happy. 

18 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

that guy has hitched his wagon to complaining about the offense this offseason... it is insanity to reach at pick #8. If Adams or Barnette is there, Gettleman needs to grab one. Plenty of other picks to address the offense

Story of Cam's career

Archived