• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

State of the Panthers by 2020.

CPantherKing

It is time to prepare for the future and bring in young talent to follow the lead of current Panthers players.

The Panthers are hitting a point with key drafted players that will determine the future of the team. It is important that the Panthers retain players at the end of their rookie contracts to be the core of the future. Preferably those rookies will be among the leagues best.

At the end of the 2012 season, the Panthers had 13 players that would carry over to the 2016 roster. Cam Newton, Derek Anderson, Graham Gano, Jonathan Stewart, Mike Tolbert, Colin Jones, JJ Jansen, Thomas Davis, Luke Kuechly, Ryan Kalil, Greg Olsen, Charles Johnson, and Mario Addison. Those players from the 2012 team were the core of the Panthers in 2016 on offense, defense, and special teams. Four of these players were on the roster in 2008, and only Stewart was a rookie.

What 13 players from the 2016 roster will make up the core of the Panthers future in 2020?

I believe the 10 players most likely to be on the 2020 roster from the 2016 roster are Cam Newton, Luke Kuechly, Star Lotulelei, Kelvin Benjamin, Andrew Norwell, Shaq Thompson, James Bradberry, Philly Brown, Brenton Bersin, and Daryl Williams. I do not see any carryovers from special teams. I do not see the Panthers paying KK or Trai's asking price, but it would be great to keep them both into 2020.

How does the future core/leadership look for the Panthers? How does it compare to the current core? Do you see 7 of them being at the top of the NFL at their respective position in 2020? Will the Panthers have enough veteran play makers to compete with the best in the NFL?

What 10 to 13 players from the 2016 roster do you believe will be carrying the team by 2020?

Surprised you listed Bersin.  I like him and he's been good depth especially as we turned over the whole WR corps, but going forward, now that KB & others have more experience, I do think he might be expendable.  Would love to see Funchess develop, but this year was a big disappointment in terms of his performance.

I would think Vernon Butler would still be around in 2020.

Hope Trai is around, but yes his price could be high..  Obviously his transition to OT wasn't seamless, but it was better than I expected  Having that kind of versatility is really important.  Also would love to keep KK, especially as we need to find new ends, keeping some stability on the line going forward is important.

Wondering if Tyler Larsen will be our future at Center?  He did pretty amazingly well filling in for Kalil & Gradkowski.  I think we may have just found our future Center..., but we'll see.

At first I wanted to laugh that you listed Philly and Bersin but then I realized you're most likely right.

The fact both these guys were getting snaps in the final game just further proves how terrible this coaching staff is at evaluating talent.

Philly is a choppy, stiff, body catching WR who has no business being in the league. Bersin, well he's a career practice squad player nothing more. Yet these guys continue to see the field each year throughout the year.

Damiere Byrd, smooth, fluid, quick and has soft hands... doesn't see the field until the very last game.

My hope is Bersin and Philly both aren't brought back next year. As long as they're both on the team Byrd will never get a shot. Ron has proven to be blind and allergic to change. It's on situations like this DG needs to take control or find a head coach that's capable of making the easy move.

12 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

It is time to prepare for the future and bring in young talent to follow the lead of current Panthers players.

The Panthers are hitting a point with key drafted players that will determine the future of the team. It is important that the Panthers retain players at the end of their rookie contracts to be the core of the future. Preferably those rookies will be among the leagues best.

At the end of the 2012 season, the Panthers had 13 players that would carry over to the 2016 roster. Cam Newton, Derek Anderson, Graham Gano, Jonathan Stewart, Mike Tolbert, Colin Jones, JJ Jansen, Thomas Davis, Luke Kuechly, Ryan Kalil, Greg Olsen, Charles Johnson, and Mario Addison. Those players from the 2012 team were the core of the Panthers in 2016 on offense, defense, and special teams. Four of these players were on the roster in 2008, and only Stewart was a rookie.

What 13 players from the 2016 roster will make up the core of the Panthers future in 2020?

I believe the 10 players most likely to be on the 2020 roster from the 2016 roster are Cam Newton, Luke Kuechly, Star Lotulelei, Kelvin Benjamin, Andrew Norwell, Shaq Thompson, James Bradberry, Philly Brown, Brenton Bersin, and Daryl Williams. I do not see any carryovers from special teams. I do not see the Panthers paying KK or Trai's asking price, but it would be great to keep them both into 2020.

How does the future core/leadership look for the Panthers? How does it compare to the current core? Do you see 7 of them being at the top of the NFL at their respective position in 2020? Will the Panthers have enough veteran play makers to compete with the best in the NFL?

What 10 to 13 players from the 2016 roster do you believe will be carrying the team by 2020?

I don't think David Mayo or Jeremy Cash are going anywhere any time soon---Worley either---so I'll add them to your list. But I'd be really surprised to see Bersin in 2020. 

9 minutes ago, mjligon said:

Also if Philly and Bersin are still around in 2020 I will lose all faith in this franchise.

Philly is quintessential depth.

I don't know if you know, but I was totally against Philly as a starter, to the point where people thought that I hated him. The fact is, I never hated him, just as a starter playing significant minutes. As for being a backup to bolster our depth, I think he's a good fit. As long as he knows his role and remains inexpensive, I see him as a bargain.

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Philly is quintessential depth.

I don't know if you know, but I was totally against Philly as a starter, to the point where people thought that I hated him. The fact is, I never hated him, just as a starter playing significant minutes. As for being a backup to bolster our depth, I think he's a good fit. As long as he knows his role and remains inexpensive, I see him as a bargain.

Yeah, I can see both sides. I dont hate Philly just think we can do better. He plays well when his number is called, unfortunately it wasn't called enough this year.

Archived