• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What if NE had not missed that PAT?

iamhubby1

Anyone else wonder what might have happened at the end of the game, had they not missed that earlier PAT? The score would have been 28-27 instead of 28-26. Would they have played for the tie? Or with how they were playing Offensively? Would they have gone for 2 and the win?

Me personally? I would have gone for the 2. For 2 reasons. Folks would have gone even nutsier over Belicheat if he goes for 2 and wins the game. The GOAT just GOATED even more with that win. Blah blah blah he is the GOAT. And second. It would have just been the greatest capper of a monumental choke job in history. Not only come back from 25 down, but to win it on a 2 point conversion when a tie takes it to OT. Man, what a ballsy call by the GOAT.

Going for 2 in that situation would take some pretty good sized big boy pants.

Just a random thought. And I wondered if anyone else gave it a thought?

Obviously wouldn't go for two. They're not as crazy as Jack Del Rio and the Raiders and even they wouldn't go for 2 in that position in an elimination game. Regular season sure, but not the Super Bowl. Would be straight up nuts even if it worked.

Would also like to add that the wife was in the kitchen when Koslowski hit the ball on the onside kick. She was like, "How does a kicker hit himself with the ball?" I mean, that is a question you just never hear. lol

I almost turned that game off. So glad nothing else was on TV.

1 minute ago, thomas96 said:

Obviously wouldn't go for two. They're not as crazy as Jack Del Rio and the Raiders and even they wouldn't go for 2 in that position in an elimination game. Regular season sure, but not the Super Bowl. Would be straight up nuts even if it worked.

Part of me says, "So what". We are talking about Belicheat here. He is already considered the GOAT. If he makes it. The legend grows. If he misses it. The legend grows. Because who in their right mind goes for 2 in that situation?

I mean, sure it is a ballsy call. But what an epic way to finish off one of the most memorable meltdowns in SuperB owl history?

5 minutes ago, Bartin said:

It would have still been 28-26 because the missed XP happened at 28-9. If he makes it then after the FG and TD it's 28-19 and they kick an XP to make an 8 point game rather than 28-18 and having to go for 2 to make it an 8 point game

They scored 2 TDs after the missed PAT. They went for 2 on both of them. The second one tied the game. I am saying, what if they had not missed the PAT?

TD makes it 28-10. With a made PAT.

FG makes it 28-13

TD with a made 2 pointer makes it 28-21

TD makes it 28-27.

7 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

zero chance they go for two in that situation, hubby. Even belichick isn't that crazy

Or is he? I mean, it's a win-win for him. If they go for it and lose? He is the GOAT for having the balls to at least go for it. He is the epitome of playing to win. If they go for it and win? He is the GOAT for going for it.

I have no idea what I would do under those circumstances. But going for 2, and the win, is epic.

5 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

They scored 2 TDs after the missed PAT. They went for 2 on both of them. The second one tied the game. I am saying, what if they had not missed the PAT?

TD makes it 28-10. With a made PAT.

FG makes it 28-13

TD with a made 2 pointer makes it 28-21

TD makes it 28-27.

They went for 2 after the the 2nd and 3rd TDs because they had to.  Had they not missed the first PAT, they would have most likely kicked the PAT after the 2nd TD to bring the score to 28-20, which is a one score game.  If they had tried for a 2-point conversion trying to make it 28-21 and missed, then they're at 28-19...a 2 score game, needing a TD and FG to win.  I don't see any way Belicheat goes for 2 after the TD bringing it to 28-19 under those circumstances.  

5 minutes ago, Gregg S said:

They went for 2 after the the 2nd and 3rd TDs because they had to.  Had they not missed the first PAT, they would have most likely kicked the PAT after the 2nd TD to bring the score to 28-20, which is a one score game.  If they had tried for a 2-point conversion trying to make it 28-21 and missed, then they're at 28-19...a 2 score game, needing a TD and FG to win.  I don't see any way Belicheat goes for 2 after the TD bringing it to 28-19 under those circumstances.  

Man, if you guys are going to bring logic into this? Sure there is a chance that NE does not go for 2 on their 2nd TD if they had not missed the PAT. Chasing points in that situation can bite you on the ol sit down. I get that.

But...What I am asking is, what would you do if the score were 28-27? Would you go for it? And put an exclamation point on a monumental meltdown. Or would you play it safe? And hope to win it in OT?

4 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Man, if you guys are going to bring logic into this? Sure there is a chance that NE does not go for 2 on their 2nd TD if they had not missed the PAT. Chasing points in that situation can bite you on the ol sit down. I get that.

But...What I am asking is, what would you do if the score were 28-27? Would you go for it? And put an exclamation point on a monumental meltdown. Or would you play it safe? And hope to win it in OT?

Okay, that being the case, with the score being 28-27...I kick the PAT and play for overtime.  With less than 1 minute to go if you don't make the 2-point conversion, you've lost unless you somehow are able to convert the on-side kick.  And they fail more times than 2 point conversion tries. 

So, yeah, kick it.  You've got a much better chance to win in OT.

You can argue about not going for two because the Patriots had the "momentum" and were likely to carry that momentum to overtime. Alternatively, if you don't believe in momentum/clutchness, you could say they were clearly the better team, and that was shown as the sample size of the game increased. Thus, extending the game into overtime would only increase the amount of time for the superior team to outplay the worse team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1 hour ago, Gregg S said:

You would go for 2 on the first touchdown because that gives you more time to make up for not getting it if that happened and if you do you just need 7 to tie it later. If you know you need 9 earlier you have more time to game plan for that and do what you need to do. If you're down 8 with little time left and don't get the 2 point, nothing you can do then except for hope for an onside kick. You need the 2 point either way, no reason to delay it and good reason to do it first.

Archived