• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Zach Lowe Outlook on Hornets

AppHeel

This doesn't make us not suck but did anyone catch Frank going off in the frosh/sophomore game last night? If only he could do that in an actual game. It gives me some hope at least. If I remember correctly Kemba's first wow moment was in the same game a few years back. Hopefully Frank can develop similarly, only quicker much quicker.

Sent from my XT1254 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

5 hours ago, Manos said:

This doesn't make us not suck but did anyone catch Frank going off in the frosh/sophomore game last night? If only he could do that in an actual game. It gives me some hope at least. If I remember correctly Kemba's first wow moment was in the same game a few years back. Hopefully Frank can develop similarly, only quicker much quicker.

Sent from my XT1254 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Didn't surprise me, he's played well lately. 17 ppg, nearly 7rpg, 2 apg and 1 spg in February.  

Get healthy make a move or two at the deadline and shoot for the 7th seed to get a series against the Raptors. Very good chance to beat them and move past the first round. 

fug tanking and fug draft picks at this point. That was decided with the Vonleh trade and maxing Batum. Every team that has tanked the in the past 6 seasons still fuging suck. The 76ers, Bucks, Pelicans, Timberwolves, and Lakers. Cleveland got gifted like 3 number one picks and were still poo until Lebron came back and they traded half those picks for Kevin Love.

I like Clifford but he seems to hit a stubborn wall every season. He refuses to play certain players and change rotations when they clearly don't work and kills all momentum in crucial times in way too many games.

The game against the Raptors was a prime example. Huge lead starts diminishing and rather than change anything up he stands there and bitches but changes nothing. Marvin and Batum were killing us but he refused to take them out of the game. Lamb has been playing very well lately but only played 11 minutes that game. wtf? Christian Wood is sitting on the bench and Marvin is out there bricking 3 after 3 why not give the young guy a shot to try and give the team an energy boost? Wood's 3pt shot isn't half bad and he is a killer on the offensive boards.

Clifford is basically a more vocal version of Ron Rivera. He will sit there and watch everything go to poo and refuse to change anything. He also refuses to give young guys a chance when his vets are shitting the bed. Injuries have to hit hard for him to change his rotation at all.

4 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Get healthy make a move or two at the deadline and shoot for the 7th seed to get a series against the Raptors. Very good chance to beat them and move past the first round. 

fug tanking and fug draft picks at this point. That was decided with the Vonleh trade and maxing Batum. Every team that has tanked the in the past 6 seasons still fuging suck. The 76ers, Bucks, Pelicans, Timberwolves, and Lakers. Cleveland got gifted like 3 number one picks and were still poo until Lebron came back and they traded half those picks for Kevin Love.

I like Clifford but he seems to hit a stubborn wall every season. He refuses to play certain players and change rotations when they clearly don't work and kills all momentum in crucial times in way too many games.

The game against the Raptors was a prime example. Huge lead starts diminishing and rather than change anything up he stands there and bitches but changes nothing. Marvin and Batum were killing us but he refused to take them out of the game. Lamb has been playing very well lately but only played 11 minutes that game. wtf? Christian Wood is sitting on the bench and Marvin is out there bricking 3 after 3 why not give the young guy a shot to try and give the team an energy boost? Wood's 3pt shot isn't half bad and he is a killer on the offensive boards.

Clifford is basically a more vocal version of Ron Rivera. He will sit there and watch everything go to poo and refuse to change anything. He also refuses to give young guys a chance when his vets are shitting the bed. Injuries have to hit hard for him to change his rotation at all.

Why shoot for the 7th seed against a Raptors team with Ibaka who alone we have no one who can guard him. lol Much less Derozan. That's a 4 game series, maybe 5 games if the Hornets get lucky at home and squeak one out.... That's assuming they can even get the 7th seed and they have nothing of worth to make a move at the deadline... 

If you put up the top 10 players skill wise in a Hornet Raptor series, the only two Hornets that make that list is Kemba and Batum. 

Lowry = Kemba

Derozan >>>>>> Batum

Carroll >>>> MKG

IBAKA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Willaims

Valanciunas >>>>>>> Zeller

Their bench is deeper as well..... no way the Hornets win that series if both teams are healthy with the Raptors having Home court. 

2 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Why shoot for the 7th seed against a Raptors team with Ibaka who alone we have no one who can guard him. lol Much less Derozan. That's a 4 game series, maybe 5 games if the Hornets get lucky at home and squeak one out.... That's assuming they can even get the 7th seed and they have nothing of worth to make a move at the deadline... 

If you put up the top 10 players skill wise in a Hornet Raptor series, the only two Hornets that make that list is Kemba and Batum. 

Lowry = Kemba

Derozan >>>>>> Batum

Carroll >>>> MKG

IBAKA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Willaims

Valanciunas >>>>>>> Zeller

Their bench is deeper as well..... no way the Hornets win that series if both teams are healthy with the Raptors having Home court. 

If we stand pat then you are probably right which is why I said a move or two need to be made. Before the Ibaka trade, The Hornets have played / matched up incredibly well against the Raptors this season and last year. If it weren't for stupid coaching decisions and Marvin Williams completely forgeting how to shoot a basketball this year, the Hornets would have a 3-0 series lead on them this season. Marvin Williams is 5-24 shooting and 4-17 from 3 in the two losses against the Raptors this season. He went 3-6 from the floor in the blowout win. 

We also have no idea how Ibaka will fit in with the Raptors. He is a good player so I assume he will be fine but you never know.

18 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

No it's not, but its a better spot then knowing year in and year out your team has no damn chance to win. I'd at least know they are attempting more then the 8th seed and 2 home playoff games for monetary reasons. 

Screw that 36-40 win season and a slim playoff chance and no way to win a playoff series and repeat bs, thats no fun for anyone. Well, except for those that are ok with mediocrity. 

Example the 76ers, sucked for years and stacked with young tradable talent and a brighter future then the Hornets and basically the same record with nothing really but young players and a vet or two. 

They also have something the hornets don't and that's a potential superstar and center piece talent in embid. 

Yea I'll give you that. Philly also has also drafted 5 high lotto guys during the process and so far Embiid seems like only sure fire star. Noel is a one trick pony, they're trying to trade okafor, saric is decent and jury is still out on Ben Simmons

30 minutes ago, AppHeel said:

Yea I'll give you that. Philly also has also drafted 5 high lotto guys during the process and so far Embiid seems like only sure fire star. Noel is a one trick pony, they're trying to trade okafor, saric is decent and jury is still out on Ben Simmons

Embiid could turn out to be Greg Oden. Embiid has played like a total of 25 NBA games. Let's see a season from him where he plays at least 70 games. 

My man Carl gets mad respect for defending the Hornets and trashing everyone else, lol. 

But there is some fair criticism of this organization to be had here and lowe brings up great points. 

What personally makes me leery is just how bad we have been at drafting outside of Kemba and Cody. 

The Frank Kaminsky selection was all time bad as of right now- like literally one of the worst things we could have done considering the options we had. We could have had Miles Turner or better yet, Devin Booker. Or even easier to predict at the time: a boatload of picks which would have ended up being the Brooklyn pick this past year. Now Frank's career is long from over, but I don't think he will ever be as good as Devin Booker is. 

Biyombo was a reach and never panned out for us. 

MKG, well, we got royally fuged by the NBA on but he hasn't panned out either.

The thing is: I don't think Cho is the problem, I think MJ is. 

Sorry but it's just hard for me to get fully behind a team that seems SO content with getting the 7th seed at best every year. 

10 hours ago, SOJA said:

My man Carl gets mad respect for defending the Hornets and trashing everyone else, lol. 

But there is some fair criticism of this organization to be had here and lowe brings up great points. 

What personally makes me leery is just how bad we have been at drafting outside of Kemba and Cody. 

The Frank Kaminsky selection was all time bad as of right now- like literally one of the worst things we could have done considering the options we had. We could have had Miles Turner or better yet, Devin Booker. Or even easier to predict at the time: a boatload of picks which would have ended up being the Brooklyn pick this past year. Now Frank's career is long from over, but I don't think he will ever be as good as Devin Booker is. 

Biyombo was a reach and never panned out for us. 

MKG, well, we got royally fuged by the NBA on but he hasn't panned out either.

The thing is: I don't think Cho is the problem, I think MJ is. 

Sorry but it's just hard for me to get fully behind a team that seems SO content with getting the 7th seed at best every year. 

Cho isn't the problem, he knows what he's doing. It's MJ always over ruling the front office for a player he wants. Cho was going to take the trade and MJ wanted Frank.... :(

Only time its worked is Kemba... That's counting his time with the Wizards and the Hornets.

1 over ride pick that has done anything out of like 15 in his front office career. 

He has no business over ruling his Front office. 

20 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Cho isn't the problem, he knows what he's doing. It's MJ always over ruling the front office for a player he wants. Cho was going to take the trade and MJ wanted Frank.... :(

Only time its worked is Kemba... That's counting his time with the Wizards and the Hornets.

1 over ride pick that has done anything out of like 15 in his front office career. 

He has no business over ruling his Front office. 

It's not that I don't believe you but is that confirmed that MJ denied cho from making the trade to draft Frank.....because if so......

30 minutes ago, SOJA said:

It's not that I don't believe you but is that confirmed that MJ denied cho from making the trade to draft Frank.....because if so......

Yes, it pretty much has been. 

https://www.google.com/amp/nesn.com/2015/07/report-michael-jordan-helped-scuttle-hornets-celtics-draft-day-trade/amp/?client=ms-android-att-us

chairman Michael Jordan — preferred to take Wisconsin center Frank Kaminsky over the

large collection of picks the Celtics offered for the spot.

“Some members of Charlotte’s front office liked the Boston deal, but Michael Jordan, the team’s owner and ultimate decision-maker, preferred Kaminsky to a pile of first-rounders outside the lottery, per several sources

We now know for sure that the Nets pick was included with no protection as well as 3 other first round picks. He liked Frank enough to turn all that down and thr worse part is he likely could have still gotten Frank at 16. SMH.. 

On 2/17/2017 at 11:39 PM, carpanfan96 said:

Example the 76ers, sucked for years and stacked with young tradable talent and a brighter future then the Hornets and basically the same record with nothing really but young players and a vet or two. 

They also have something the hornets don't and that's a potential superstar and center piece talent in embid. 

Here's the problem with that comparison. Charlotte and Philadelphia are completely different sports markets. Philly fans are die-hard enough to put up with that for a while. Charlotte fans will find something else to do. Jordan needs butts in seats, and year after year of tanking could kill the team in this city.

I look at the NBA like English Premier League soccer. You've got 4 or 5 teams who can contend for a title, and the rest are just happy to be there. Places like Charlotte and Memphis will always struggle to attract free agents. If you're hoping to contend for a title, the Panthers are your best bet.

22 minutes ago, djp14 said:

Here's the problem with that comparison. Charlotte and Philadelphia are completely different sports markets. Philly fans are die-hard enough to put up with that for a while. Charlotte fans will find something else to do. Jordan needs butts in seats, and year after year of tanking could kill the team in this city.

I look at the NBA like English Premier League soccer. You've got 4 or 5 teams who can contend for a title, and the rest are just happy to be there. Places like Charlotte and Memphis will always struggle to attract free agents. If you're hoping to contend for a title, the Panthers are your best bet.

People in the Carolinas will settle for nothing less than good basketball. It is kind of in our DNA here being one of the most DIE HARD places for basketball in the country.

Archived