• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SBNation has us trading up to #5

Growl

And taking Leonard Fournette after surrendering the #72 overall in exchange.

The mock itself isn't the point though. 

The point is the philosophy behind it, and even though it would pain me to give up #72 ( perhaps our comp 3rd and a later pick could be a better alternative) there are scenarios where it must be done I feel.

If the team truly feels-sincerely-that last season was an aberration and that they won't be picking this high again for a long time, they absolutely have to take advantage of it and come away with an elite prospect. It, in hindsight, may just look like a robbery. A great franchise picking up a blue chip player in the midst of a run. Equivocable to Atlanta going full Mike Ditka to pick up Julio Jones, with a terrible season taking the place of surrendering a draft fortune.

Speaking of a terrible season, that's the second point.

I'm not one for semantics like byron bell's left hand, but after last season completely deflated the fan base, sucked the joy out of the team, and made it's QB publicly question just how fun football is, one of the primary boxes that need to be checked this offseason is inserting some enthusiasm back into the organization. To put it simply, this team cannot have the kind of year they just had and only walk away with a bland red chip player to show for it. We cannot pick this high and only get one of the second tier players you loons are already hyping up. After all that, we need a  star. Somebody who will get people excited about seeing what the 2017 Panthers are capable of. To make them believe we can win it all. 2nd Team All PAC 10 high motor guy Jimmy Armscratch is not that guy.

Ehh. This is shaky to me. That 3rd rounder could very easily turn into another Turner, but at OT or S, especially with how deep this draft is. And if Fournette is gone at 8 that just means somebody like Adams or Hooker or Thomas is there, and they are a part of that top tier elite class too. At 8 we won't need to trade up to get a top tier player. If we had beat the Bucs maybe that would be the case, but as it stands we'll get a top guy regardless. I hope it's Fournette but if not then so be it. Would consider trading a future pick or something like that but not an early 3rd rounder in this year's deep draft, and probably not even the comp pick this year. 

Or we could just tag KK and trade him to one of the teams ahead of us and get Fournette and Adams and hope Butler can replace KK as soon as this year. Not gonna happen obviously but I would freaking love this. KK will likely not get his huge deal here so it's a rental for a year or two depending on how we want to play it out. And that could be fine but if we could get both Adams and Fournette this year in exchange for that rental it'd be insanely worth it to me. Even if Butler doesn't turn out to be as good as KK.

by no reasonable standard can you bank on obtaining a pro bowler in the 3rd. At #72 you can fairly expect "decent starter."

When you contrast that between the expectation of the disparity between blue and red chip players- Hall Of Famers Vs 10 Year Starters- the decision is obvious most especially when you're in the position the Panthers are in. We, ideally, aren't like the other teams picking this high. We don't benefit as much from picking a "solid starter" in the 3rd. A reasonable chance to nab a future Hall of Famer in the middle of your window is a rare opportunity (even if the road we took to get the pick wasn't worth it)

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

I'd hate to not have pick 72, but I'd be willing to deal if it came down to making sure we go after the right guy, but I'd hate to waste that if we would get an elite guy at 8 anyway. We have needs at S, DE and RB.

I see where you're coming from.  But, in this Draft there's a clear difference between the safeties and Fournette, and Solomon Thomas.  Thomas while being solid, isn't a guarantee.  While Fournette is a guarantee at this point.    

okay apparently I should've left Fournette out entirely because people are missing the point

Fournette being gone before 8 does not equate to Adams being on the board at 8. The premise I've laid out is that both being gone are fairly reasonable and I'd rather obtain them or one of the other blue chippers liable to go then sit around and wait for a second tier guy will be nothing more than a parting gift of "haha screw you panthers" from the year 2016

Archived