• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Andre Ellington will be a Free Agent this offseason

Daeavorn

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Clemson has gone to the National Championship the last 2 seasons.  They have played more football games than any team in college football not named Alabama in that time frame.

Gallman missed 1 game.

Gallman and Fozzy don't have the game either.

Bro, this thread is about andre ellington, not sure where you got Gallman from. 

6 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Bro, this thread is about andre ellington, not sure where you got Gallman from. 

I think I replied off your comment thinking it was about Gallman as that little discussion was mixed right in before you posted.  Gallman came up merely as I said I didn't want Ellington and if you wanted a Clemson RB getting Gallman in the 5th would be more ideal to me.

but you are absolutely right now that I went back and looked.   Your comment was spot on.  Ellington is an injury prone Fozzy.  I think he has slightly better vision but that big picture I agree.

Just now, CRA said:

I think I replied off your comment thinking it was about Gallman.  Gallman came up merely as I said I didn't want Ellington and if you wanted a Clemson RB getting Gallman in the 5th would be more ideal to me.

but you are absolutely right now that I went back and looked.   Your comment was spot on.  Ellington is an injury prone Fozzy.  I think he has slightly better vision but that big picture I agree.

I actually agree with your assessment. He's good enough when they give him the ball but the guy just doesn't seem to stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

well then we simply disagree on the state of our OL and their ability. 

I also don't think our interior really makes up for that much big picture.  Their job just gets harder and they are less effective when defenses know what's up.

Well, the big picture surely isn't getting a starting LT in this Draft.  That's the problem.  Maybe in Free Agency, but we shall see.  

11 hours ago, Daeavorn said:

I'm not a big fan of late round RBs. CAP was 5th round and he's pretty much got zero playing time.

The problem with this logic--and I appreciate you opinion and gut feelings, which is all you meant to represent---is that one example against an idea can easily be toppled by countless exceptions.  If you are looking for a backup RB, why get one on decline that has no future.  I base this opinion on the following statistical analysis that refers to all backs:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/123542/inside-slant-running-back-cliff-after-age-27

https://www.profootballfocus.com/age-of-decline-rb1/

So obtaining a RB a year after they "cliff" is not as appealing as it seems.  I mean,, your rationale for taking him is based on past performance--performance before the average NFL RB starts declining.  Past performance does not suggest future performance if the comparison straddles age 27.

There is another article that suggests RBs on second contracts rarely earn their keep.  In fact, since you mentioned a Panther RB for your example of late-round draft picks, I would challenge you to prove how Stewart has earned his second contract.  He hasn't.  Take the total $$$ he earned and divide it by the yards he gained.  Stewart, over the last 4 years (he is entering the 5th year of his $36m contract) has averaged 700 yards per season--2 of which were before the 27-year mark.  That comes to nearly $11,000 per yard gained.  CAP might be the better value, if you think about it, and CAP is a bust.

Archived