• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you watched the games, and you believe Stewart is the reason why the running game sucks...please explain yourself.

Wundrbread33

Our run blocking is bad but that doesn't absolve Stewart from blame. He's 250 pounds and can't run outside the tackles, he's a FB at this point in his career and he's the worst receiving back in the NFL 

Literally nothing you said is accurate.

You did spell "Stewart" right...I will give you that.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

11 hours ago, MBronson said:

I couldnt agree more. If you look at stewys numbers over the past 4 years, his yardage and td numbers are actuallt trending upwards now. And thats not even taking into account how good of a blocker he is.
Ps. Tolberts blocking was turrible

Sent from my SM-G900V using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Blocking will improve with the new FB and healthier OL. I would still like to take Fournette if he is available and run more of a 2 back system. 

J-Stew can be viable recieving option, he had 400 yds in 2011 with 2 TE set. 

1. RB: Fournette

2. OT: Boles 

3. TE: Leggett

3. DE: Tanoh Kpassagnon

4. SS: Josh Harvey- Clemons

Wow 2 days in a row that Dave Newton says something that makes sense! His take on why we keep Stew should NOT be cut is what a lot of people have already alluded to on here, and I agree. Still, I would love to spread his cap hit out a little to help with FA this season.

"What Stewart offers in terms of pass blocking is offset by any decline he may experience in running production. "

http://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/24656/it-wouldnt-make-sense-for-the-panthers-to-release-running-back-jonathan-stewart

Edit for the injury prone naysayers:  "... it's rare that one back plays all 16 games. Only eight of the top 20 in rushing did this past season."

stew.jpg

Didn't we lead the league in rushing two years ago? Wasn't Stew a top 10 rusher in terms of yards then? There was a clear difference between when he was out there and when he wasn't. He can get the extra 2-3 yards that normal runners wouldn't get. Fournette=Finess to me, and I really wish we would end up with Cook as I feel he is equivelant in style to Stew but better. He's not going anywhere and we need him and he's a locker room help. He was healthy two years ago too. 

On 2/22/2017 at 7:18 PM, Udogg said:

Watch other teams with running games is eye opening.  They have these things call running games, and people called lead blockers.  And I know it's hard to believe but the running backs sometimes don't have people in the backfield and sometimes don't even get touched before they are 4 yards downfield. 

..you ever watch shitsburg? every play they run sets up another play..big yards..defenses are reeling....and by the second qtr, you dont know whats comin...till they put in Dwill...and...thats why they didnt make it to the bowl..

I dare LeVeon Bell try to do that same poo with our Oline. I bet he gets like 2.8 ypc here. Have you seen how many times by the time Stewart gets the ball there are multiple defenders in our backfield? Hed get tackled before he even had time to try and fool defenders.

I just would love to have an alternate universe where these supposedly great RBs play on some of the leagues shittiest run blocking lines and see how well they do. What if Ezekiel Elliot tried to run with the Panthers last year?

All you need to do is watch how many tackles stew has to break to even get a couple yards and see how valuable he is to the offense. And if we do draft another RB I hope its a power back like LF7

. All I'd say is good luck if we tried to play Dalvin Cook in run up the gut offense. IDK maybe he'd validate all this inane read option junk we're still hanging on to. The thing is our tackles suck and his strength is the outside runs

So let's take the (on average) $7.3m salary we paid each year over the past 4 years to Stewart so he could gain 700 yards on average each season.  Now trusting on your math skills to guide you, are you ready to defend paying a player $456,000+ per game to rush for an average of 44 yards per game?   A rookie RB making $500k per season could do that.

What if we put that money in an OT?  

So what was it about Stewart that you are defending?  Have you forgotten the many years (not really mentioned above because it was his first contract) that we paid him to wear a floppy hat and churn away on an exercise bike?  

12 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

I just would love to have an alternate universe where these supposedly great RBs play on some of the leagues shittiest run blocking lines and see how well they do. What if Ezekiel Elliot tried to run with the Panthers last year?

All you need to do is watch how many tackles stew has to break to even get a couple yards and see how valuable he is to the offense. And if we do draft another RB I hope its a power back like LF7

. All I'd say is good luck if we tried to play Dalvin Cook in run up the gut offense. IDK maybe he'd validate all this inane read option junk we're still hanging on to. The thing is our tackles suck and his strength is the outside runs

So the logical conclusion is to cut Stewart and pay for a better OL like Dallas did.  (Remember the salary D. Murray wanted?  I do)  Because you are saying that Elliot would suck here too.  Which means that a good OL makes the RB, not the other way around.

I agree-we need to cut Stewart.

So let's take the (on average) $7.3m salary we paid each year over the past 4 years to Stewart so he could gain 700 yards on average each season.  Now trusting on your math skills to guide you, are you ready to defend paying a player $456,000+ per game to rush for an average of 44 yards per game?   A rookie RB making $500k per season could do that.

What if we put that money in an OT?  

So what was it about Stewart that you are defending?  Have you forgotten the many years (not really mentioned above because it was his first contract) that we paid him to wear a floppy hat and churn away on an exercise bike?  

Forgotten what exactly? By "many years" do you mean two (2013, 2014)?

And you can't just judge a running back by his YPG. How many carries? How has his line performed? How often was he held back in pass pro? How many two yard runs did he have that should have been losses if it weren't for his broken tackles? Too many variables for such a simple stat.

People are just caught up in his salary number right now. That's the only way people can be blinded to his abilities as a complete back...or, once again, we are dealing with people who don't watch the games...or don't know how to evaluate talent.

Not meant as an insult, but people need to self reflect on whether they feel they can actually (and fairly) judge Stew as a player, or are they just looking up stats on ESPN and comparing them to contract amounts?

20 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Forgotten what exactly? By "many years" do you mean two (2013, 2014)?

And you can't just judge a running back by his YPG. How many carries? How has his line performed? How often was he held back in pass pro? How many two yard runs did he have that should have been losses if it weren't for his broken tackles? Too many variables for such a simple stat.

People are just caught up in his salary number right now. That's the only way people can be blinded to his abilities as a complete back...or, once again, we are dealing with people who don't watch the games...or don't know how to evaluate talent.

Not meant as an insult, but people need to self reflect on whether they feel they can actually (and fairly) judge Stew as a player, or are they just looking up stats on ESPN and comparing them to contract amounts?

I like Stew as a player, but I think he under performs his contract. Furthermore, while you do not want to use stats like yards per game to evaluate a RB (and I agree with you--hard to see the big picture in team sports about 1 of 11 players), you have to use the stats to determine his value to the team in the salary cap era.  I mean, the best blocking rbs do not make $7m per season.  Here is the real problem with Stewart (and consider his hard running style):

" The red line represents all running backs who have played at least four NFL seasons since 2001, with a minimum average of 75 carries per season. Overall, we see their careers peak at age 27. Afterward, their rushing totals drop by 15 percent in one year, 25 percent in two and almost 40 by the time they are 30. "

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/123542/inside-slant-running-back-cliff-after-age-27

There are several other studies that say the same thing.  So when you think of Stew you are thinking of him in his prime to project future performance, but this article states that this year, his performance is likely to be 40% lower than when it peaked, on average. 

I watch the player and like him, but I would rather invest his contract in a T.

On February 27, 2017 at 2:39 PM, MHS831 said:

I like Stew as a player, but I think he under performs his contract. Furthermore, while you do not want to use stats like yards per game to evaluate a RB (and I agree with you--hard to see the big picture in team sports about 1 of 11 players), you have to use the stats to determine his value to the team in the salary cap era.  I mean, the best blocking rbs do not make $7m per season.  Here is the real problem with Stewart (and consider his hard running style):

" The red line represents all running backs who have played at least four NFL seasons since 2001, with a minimum average of 75 carries per season. Overall, we see their careers peak at age 27. Afterward, their rushing totals drop by 15 percent in one year, 25 percent in two and almost 40 by the time they are 30. "

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/123542/inside-slant-running-back-cliff-after-age-27

There are several other studies that say the same thing.  So when you think of Stew you are thinking of him in his prime to project future performance, but this article states that this year, his performance is likely to be 40% lower than when it peaked, on average. 

I watch the player and like him, but I would rather invest his contract in a T.

Good post my friend. Good points made. Here's to hoping he restructures for a 3 year deal so we can get the last of his good years, while he mentors the transition to our next back(s). I'd love to see him retire a Panther.

Archived