• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2016 losses recap.(Shula haters you have some explaining to do)

panther4life

34 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

you know what happened not what was called or audibilized to. You don't know if the runner should have run straight ahead or if the play was supposed to go outside or in. Sometimes we block to the left and that is where he should run and other times it is a misdirection to send everyone left and then go right. Sometimes a guy will miss an assignment, sometimes block the wrong guy, fail to rub off and block the blitzing defender and so forth. Sometimes we run 2 or three times up the middle to set up a play later in the game.

Without knowing what the intent is all you know is the result but most times that is a mixture of what is called, audibles which are made and execution.  Most critics ultimately assume the problem is what was called and overwhelmingly it is mostly due to how it was executed. For example ideally, when you block on the line, the defender shouldn't easily be able to know if we are running or passing. But most times when we run, blockers take a step forward and when we pass block they immediate start back pedaling. That is an execution problem not a play calling issue when defenders know what we are going to do by how we take our first step.

Some of the plays are a little more complex, it's true, particularly on some of the run plays, but our passing schemes aren't that complex. 

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I have literally been watching this game in earnest for 40 years. I know what I see, and all the apologizing in the world regarding Shula isn't going to change my mind. I suspect that even Gettleman wanted to cut him loose. If Gettleman gets him another legitimate weapon or two, then he will not have any excuses this season. This is it! 

I mean, we went from the best offense in the history of our franchise to a significantly horrible one in which we literally lost no offensive players and gained our 1000 yard, #1 wide out back. There should be no excuse to decrese that drastically. Sure it'd be hard to repeat 40 points a game in back to back years but with our talent on offense, there is no excuse.

Also the fact that I myself, the average football fan, knew what we would run almost every play is a sign your OC is trash. If I know what they're running I'm pretty sure an NFL defensive coordinator and defense will know as well...

20 hours ago, panther4life said:

Week 10 vs the Chiefs. We jump out to a 17- 0 lead early. Chiefs were 7-2 coming into this game btw. 17-3 at the half. Chiefs get ball first in 2nd half. We stop them. Offense goes on a clock killing 10+ minute drive. We drive all the way to the Chiefs 20 yard line. Berry pushes cam out of bounds for a 1 yard loss. 2nd and 11 now. Dee ford blows past Daryl Willams for a sack. Heres the play: http://www.chiefs.com/media-center/videos/Dee-Ford-sacks-former-Auburn-teammate-Cam-Newton/91ff069b-b27a-429a-a60f-befc5e02fe66

Now its 3rd down. Trai Turner takes his turn getting punished and this sack knocks out of field goal range.

Heres the play:http://www.chiefs.com/media-center/videos/Chris-Jones-sacks-Cam-Newton-followed-by-a-dab/adf076fd-5ca5-473b-815e-b24edba9129a

So here we are up 17-3, in the redzone again at the end of the third after a great time killing drive to almost seal the game. The o-line fails miserably here and now we are out of FG range. Chiefs drive and score a field goal. Game is now 17-6. We are back on offense and its 3rd and 6. Chiefs send a blitz up the middle, rattles Cam, he panics and throws up a lazy pick to Berry intended for Benjamin. Berry of course runs is back 40 yards for a pick 6. Now its 17-10.  We get ball back, drive stalls after a few plays. Chiefs get ball back and score a field goal.

Nail in coffin moment. Game looks poised for over time or us winning on a last second field goal. Cam completes a 14 a yard pass to Benjamin, who has it stripped. Chiefs ultimately kick game winning field goal.

I never really fuss about the coaching staff, but with this game I don't see how anyone can deny Shula had his head stuck up his a##! It was a tied game, we were on our own 20 yard line and there was 20 seconds left in the game.

All they had to do was take a knee and go into overtime. A 14 yard pass would do nothing to get us in field goal range and ended up being stripped with something like 3 second left.

20 hours ago, juliosantos said:

His conservative bullshatt playcalls caused us alot of games like dumb plays like running up the middle with fozzy

As everyone knows, I am NOT a Shula fan.

But I'll repeat this in every Shula thread, because its true:

Shula's conservative bullshatt playcalls and running up the middle with fozzy (or another RB, doesn't matter) is exactly what Ron Rivera desires and requires of him.

Ron Rivera hired Mike Shula and cover's Mike Shula's idiot ass because Ron Rivera LIKES MIKE SHULA'S OFFENSIVE PHILOSOPHY.

Yes, I know... hard to believe.  But Mike Shula wouldn't be the OC nor would he continue to be the most predictable play caller in the NFL if that isn't exactly what Ron Rivera wanted.

Why?  Because Ron Rivera could change it if he wanted to.  The fact that Ron Rivera has NOT changed it tells me all I need to know.

18 hours ago, ThPantherFan said:

Don't forget the 5 plus seconds Cam has to hold the ball for the route to develop.

That's one of the huge misconceptions that I see when I watch the game.  It's not that there are no checkdowns, it's that Cam doesn't use them.  People act like all of our passing plays are 50 yard dig routes. 

29 minutes ago, Wa'ya said:

I never really fuss about the coaching staff, but with this game I don't see how anyone can deny Shula had his head stuck up his a##! It was a tied game, we were on our own 20 yard line and there was 20 seconds left in the game.

All they had to do was take a knee and go into overtime. A 14 yard pass would do nothing to get us in field goal range and ended up being stripped with something like 3 second left.

Head coach makes that call. Just as he does on deciding when to go for it on 4th down.

5 hours ago, top dawg said:

Some of the plays are a little more complex, it's true, particularly on some of the run plays, but our passing schemes aren't that complex. 

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I have literally been watching this game in earnest for 40 years. I know what I see, and all the apologizing in the world regarding Shula isn't going to change my mind. I suspect that even Gettleman wanted to cut him loose. If Gettleman gets him another legitimate weapon or two, then he will not have any excuses this season. This is it! 

It is fine to disagree. Just remember there is a reason eye witness testimony is considered one of the least valid means of actual proof yet erroneously  to the average person it is considered the most compelling. And for the same reason you have your mind made up about Shula is why you will be one of the least objective or accurate reporters of what he does. As much as you try not to, we all filter what we see based on what we expect. Your brain does it automatically. 

And my opinion is if Gettleman thought Shula wasn't right as an OC, he would be gone just like I suspect Proehl was given the opportunity to be with his kids and go back to his business. Gettleman is on the hot seat as much as Rivera and Shula. Hence the sense of urgency in free agency this year.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

It is fine to disagree. Just remember there is a reason eye witness testimony is considered one of the least valid means of actual proof yet erroneously  to the average person it is considered the most compelling. And for the same reason you have your mind made up about Shula is why you will be one of the least objective or accurate reporters of what he does. As much as you try not to, we all filter what we see based on what we expect. Your brain does it automatically. 

And my opinion is if Gettleman thought Shula wasn't right as an OC, he would be gone just like I suspect Proehl was given the opportunity to be with his kids and go back to his business. Gettleman is on the hot seat as much as Rivera and Shula. Hence the sense of urgency in free agency this year.

Gettleman on the hot seat? Ha! Y'all can believe that if you want. Other than last season, the fat guy has done arguably one of the better jobs in the league.

Hot seat? LOL

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Gettleman on the hot seat? Ha! Y'all can believe that if you want. Other than last season, the fat guy has done arguably one of the better jobs in the league.

Hot seat? LOL

So if we have another 6-10 season which was widely blamed on the GM dumping Norman and replacing him with rookies, and there were a change in ownership which sadly will happen anytime over the next 5 years, there is a good chance the new guy cleans house. Gettleman has only had 2 winning seasons in the past five which is the same as Rivera. He was touted as great getting us out of cap hell but he has been average at best in his drafts and giving the team offensive weapons. Will Rivera or Shula go before Gettleman? Likely, but the NFL stands for not for long for a good reason.

Archived