• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mario Addison 2016 sacks(video) and more.

panther4life

Addison had the highest ratio of sacks to snap counts of any Defensive end last year with at least 9 sacks. 1 sack every 45.6 snaps. He averaged 31 snaps per game total last year but half of his games saw only 19-28. However as the season went on he started to see 30 or more snaps consistently and his production rose. 7 of his 9.5 sacks came in his last 7 games. There was only 2 games where he saw more than 28 snaps and came away with no sacks. That was against the cardinals in week 8 (matched up vs Veldheer) and the Skins week 15 (matched up vs Trent Williams).

After doing a little more digging I found this little nugget as well. http://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/2/19/14663314/pff-new-york-jets-should-sign-former-carolina-panthers-defensive-end-mario-addison-in-fa

Mario Addison, DE | Position rank: 16th

Addison has emerged as one of the league's best edge rushers the past two seasons with the Panthers. Last year was his best effort, as he finished with 9.5 sacks, five QB hits and 36 hurries on only 309 rushes; his 81.6 pass-rush grade ranked 16th in the NFL.

So based off this we know he only played 125 snaps in run defense. (434 total snaps,minus the 309 pass rush snaps listed above). I don't remember him being a liability against the run nor a dominant force. This helps clarify why, as the sample size is low. (Just under 9 run defensive snaps per game in 2016).

His new contract seemed a bit hefty at first for a guy who's already 30 but the guaranteed money was so low (only 9 million) this makes the deal a very high/low risk reward deal for the team and possibly the best contract Gettleman has put together yet. He certainly appears to be penciled in as the starter at RDE and with the ascension we have seen in his play over the past few years he could turn into a major star in 2017. That being said, who knows how he will respond to the increased workload and potential double teams or tight ends coming into chip block him. Either way it creates a new matchup problem for our opponents and at least for 2017 our front 7 looks to poised to return to a dominant level assuming we stay healthy.

As someone who's not shy to criticize Gettleman when I disagree with his moves, I must give him props on his quick fix for our 17 D-line. He really played his cards well here in locking up Addison to a very good deal before the free agent frenzy started and going out getting Pepper's,plus being humble enough to swallow his pride and admit the mistake Ealy while still  salvaging some value out of him.

btw. the guy who made the above video has some other really nice one's featuring other players and the team as whole. 

15 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

your right, who knows what will happen as a full timer, but if he gets double digit sacks this year he's worth every penny we spent

Derek Barnett at 8 and they're all full timers/part timers at the same time-on paper a GOAT front 7 all time.

40 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Man, I was just about to use that video and make a whole thread on that today.

Good stuff.

Don't let me stop you. You go way more in depth than I do. Or edit your current post in this one. Plus I only came across that video thanks to you linking that guy's twitter account in another thread. He has some very good stuff on youtube.

Archived