• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Maclin or Decker?

WarHeel

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think the Huddle is being collectively possessed by the spirit of Al Davis...

Maclin has decent speed, but that's not what people first think about when they think of him (other than injury proneness). They think about the fact that he is a solid WR2 with WR1 upside, runs good routes, has good hands, and can separate. He is a complete playmaker, and not just an elite scorer like Decker is known for.

15 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Basically, Maclin is just a more complete receiver---just better when he is healthy. That's it.

Based on what?

Gettleman wants hog mollies and TD scorers. Decker is tge better TD scorer and he has the size that we seem to want on the outside. That's why I picked Decker.

1 hour ago, jfra78 said:
4 hours ago, sanjay_rajput said:
There is no need for either one, we need a 2nd TE more so than another oversized WR. 

Funch is an overrated supposed   #2 WR in actuality he is #5 taking up a roster spot. 

Corrected , BTW the teams need a TE that can block we already have GOAT that can split out wide : D

With the depth of this TE class I definitely expected us to take one. I would've lost money on that bet.

But, I think that may say more about the direction our offense is going and how much we think Olsen has left in the tank than it does about anything else though.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Based on what?

Gettleman wants hog mollies and TD scorers. Decker is tge better TD scorer and he has the size that we seem to want on the outside. That's why I picked Decker.

Stats.

We're in a transition as far as offense goes. Slower big receivers aren't the daily special at the moment. We need to add playmakers with speed to make a more complete and multifaceted WR corps. Between KB, Funchess, Bersin, Key Garrett, and Fred Ross, we have all the big guys that we need. Maclin is of a different ilk. He's another legit threat to take it to the house. That's evolution. Without Samuel, we wouldn't have any legit playmakers with true speed at wideout.

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Specifically what stats?

He has considerably more yards and receptions even though he has only played in five more games. His YAC is markedly better than Decker's as well (although Decker has better YAC than I thought). Maclin's TDs aren't so far off Decker's either. Considering that Maclin has been the main focus of defenses as opposed to playing accross from legit WR1s  like Decker has, his career has arguably been more remarkable.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

He has considerably more yards and receptions even though he has only played in five more games. His YAC is markedly better than Decker's as well (although Decker has better YAC than I thought). Maclin's TDs aren't so far off Decker's either. Considering that Maclin has been the main focus of defenses as opposed to playing accross from legit WR1s  like Decker has, his career has arguably been more remarkable.

That "played in only five more games" thing is a little misleading though. Decker played in 14 games as a rookie, but he only had 8 targets in those 14 games. His rookie year was basically a redshirt year. If you drop his rookie year from his stats, then he averages 63.5ypg which is virtually identical to Maclin's 62.7ypg. Career catch percentage is also virtually identical.

Look at Decker's TDs per reception. 1 TD per 7.4 receptions vs. Maclin's 1 TD per 10.3 receptions.

Also, consider that Maclin has by and large played in more pass heavy and generally more prolific offenses.

I'm too lazy to crunch the numbers right now, but I'm willing to bet that Decker accounts for a significantly higher percentage of his team's receiving yards and TDs than Maclin does.

But either way, if they're healthy, either guy would be a substantial upgrade for us as a starting WR. I don't see how anyone can argue against that.

Linville, I think decker actually benefitted from being with gun slinging Fitzpatrick. Decker was who he  he looked for in the red zone( this may have been a Marshall biproduct as well). That touchdown rate was an anomaly, kind of like cotch, the year before we got him. id take maclin but either would instantly be atleast our best option at wr2.

i think maclin has been held back by his offense in KC. Every year,they are the last to throw a td to their receivers. They like to use their rbs and kelce. I think if you watch them play, maclin is a little more polished. He would be the only receiver on our team  that could consistently run routes, get open, and catch the ball. He is what an actual receiver should be; he doesn't have to rely on being a one trick pony like basically all of our receivers in the past few years.

all that said, money is pretty important here. I think there will be some value with Decker's contract. I think maclin is going to get a pretty fat contract somewhere. We won't get either.

Lastly, It's really surprising how dis interested in these two a lot of people seem when year after year the majority of the huddle is  screaming to bring in receivers that are much worse. This offseason appeased everyone I guess?

Archived