• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Mini Camp Observation Day 3

Hogmolliesmaht

9 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

We've got to get to that super bowl, and we've got to win it! - TD

Team seems determined, and I'm excited. Going to be a long 6 weeks.

They really do. It's amazing the difference a year can make. I just wish they could come out and start  like this every year. Assuming this translates into wins, of course.

This is perhaps my favorite commentary about today, so far.  By Jourdan Rodrique in her latest for the Observer:

The Panthers threw McCaffrey right into the fire in multiple packages and schemes, and Rivera said he was impressed with how prepared the first-round pick was.

“Today there was a red zone drill, and one thing that happened (was defensive coordinator Steve) Wilks had a blitz on,” said Rivera. “Christian was on, was in there and I looked up and saw the play and it called for Christian to read for protection, which he did very well. I knew it was something that he had to have studied because otherwise he would not have known who to pick up or who to read.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article156346349.html#storylink=cpy

Ok, wow.  I'm still reading Jourdan Rodrigue's article... She wins for having the most interesting tidbits of the day.  Here's another thing she wrote that I haven't seen reported anywhere else:

Newton hasn’t just been chattering away to the Panthers’ defense this week.

On Thursday, the quarterback, who is still unable to throw as he progresses on schedule through his post-surgery rehabilitation, was in control of the microphone offensive coordinator Mike Shula usually uses to call the plays.

“We gave him control of the mics and he called plays today,” said Rivera. “He talked with Coach Shula and we were moving the ball and Cam controlled it. He made calls, he communicated with the quarterbacks. He had a big smile on his face. He said ‘I’m not sure if I like doing this. I’d much rather be told what to do.’”

Rivera said the exercise was good for Newton to see what a playcaller goes through and to get a birds-eye view of offensive operations.

“Quite honestly, that’s something that we thought about yesterday that we should have been doing more of, in all honesty,” said Rivera, who added that this might be something the team implements more of in the future with Newton.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article156346349.html#storylink=cpy

The offense seemed to have a better day today... Hmmmm....!

Ok, wow.  I'm still reading Jourdan Rodrigue's article... She wins for having the most interesting tidbits of the day.  Here's another thing she wrote that I haven't seen reported anywhere else:

Newton hasn’t just been chattering away to the Panthers’ defense this week.
On Thursday, the quarterback, who is still unable to throw as he progresses on schedule through his post-surgery rehabilitation, was in control of the microphone offensive coordinator Mike Shula usually uses to call the plays.
“We gave him control of the mics and he called plays today,” said Rivera. “He talked with Coach Shula and we were moving the ball and Cam controlled it. He made calls, he communicated with the quarterbacks. He had a big smile on his face. He said ‘I’m not sure if I like doing this. I’d much rather be told what to do.’”
Rivera said the exercise was good for Newton to see what a playcaller goes through and to get a birds-eye view of offensive operations.
“Quite honestly, that’s something that we thought about yesterday that we should have been doing more of, in all honesty,” said Rivera, who added that this might be something the team implements more of in the future with Newton.

She is one of the most interesting reporters. I like reading her stuff. She gets the game. Her podcasts are good too.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Why does it really not encourage me when I read the we probably should have been doing this before from Rivera/Shula?

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I appreciate the honesty.  They could Be never had the idea at all.  It's June and they're already making this kind of progress.  This also suggest an open kindness and a willingness to listen and adjust accordingly.   Very strong leadership traits that display their trust and maturation as coaches through the continuity of group and with this team.

2 hours ago, KB_fan said:

I'm really surprised by how good she is.  Bright future for her.

2 hours ago, caatfan said:

It's not like he hasn't been changing calls at the line for a while now. Hopefully standing in at play caller gives him even more confidence.

It was an indirect swipe to Shula :)

I like Shula but he can be stale on calls.

Archived