• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TD already engaged in contract talks

Daeavorn

6 minutes ago, Steve_Smith_Sr. said:

Will everyone be happy when we have another crap-tastic season, but our beloved vets are well compensated?  I doubt it.

IF there was a fight over money, then DG was doing the right thing by looking out for the franchise IMO.  Olsen and TD are in the twilight of their career regardless of how much we love them, and I do love both of them.  Now, I am not saying we let them go... but there's no chance I re-write Olsen's contract when there are 2 years left on it.  I think TD might have 2 years left in the tank as well, but that's about it.

If YOU are running a company, or buying a home... and sign a contract then the other party comes back and says... "Yeah, I know what we both agreed to, but I don't like it anymore so I want to change it".  What would you do?

This is not how it goes in the NFL. Players have been holding out in the middle of contracts long before TD and Olsen have started asking for more money. I don't have one problem with them asking for more, especially since Olsen has outperformed his contract. Also, these players leave this game with multiple injuries that linger until the day they die. It would be idiotic for them not to get as much as they can. When the head injuries come, and millions of dollars of medical bills follow, the average NFL'er wouldn't/won't be able to keep up financially no matter how much they save. 

1 hour ago, AggieLean said:

This is not how it goes in the NFL. Players have been holding out in the middle of contracts long before TD and Olsen have started asking for more money. I don't have one problem with them asking for more, especially since Olsen has outperformed his contract. Also, these players leave this game with multiple injuries that linger until the day they die. It would be idiotic for them not to get as much as they can. When the head injuries come, and millions of dollars of medical bills follow, the average NFL'er wouldn't/won't be able to keep up financially no matter how much they save. 

I never said they shouldn't ask... but what good is a contract if it isn't binding?  How would you feel if the franchise said "Yeah, that last deal we signed... we don't think you're playing at that level anymore so we're going to change the numbers to our liking".  

All I am saying is that franchises don't have to capitulate.  Saying no doesn't mean the franchise is heartless or cruel.  It is a business after all.

3 minutes ago, Steve_Smith_Sr. said:

I never said they shouldn't ask... but what good is a contract if it isn't binding?  How would you feel if the franchise said "Yeah, that last deal we signed... we don't think you're playing at that level anymore so we're going to change the numbers to our liking".  

All I am saying is that franchises don't have to capitulate.  Saying no doesn't mean the franchise is heartless or cruel.  It is a business after all.

They pretty much do this, as a lot of players don't make it through a full contract. They're cut before the contract ends. You talk about binding; if it's binding, then you shouldn't be able to cut said player and let him play throughout his entire contract.

So, you are right it is a business and the players are treating it as a business. If you can cut me at the drop of a dime, then I'm going to try to get all the money I can get. I'm going to use my skills as leverage, because I don't know when they'll deteriorate and I know if they do, these ruthless owners and GMs will drop me in a heartbeat.

I have no problem with Olsen and TD asking for more money...even publicly, but that doesn't meant the team has to agree....and the smart money here....don't agree.

Let TD play this year, and give him another 1 year deal every year like Charles Johnson.  That deal is technically a 1 year deal, even though is says 2.  There is 0 dead money after this season.

14 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I have no problem with Olsen and TD asking for more money...even publicly, but that doesn't meant the team has to agree....and the smart money here....don't agree.

Let TD play this year, and give him another 1 year deal every year like Charles Johnson.  That deal is technically a 1 year deal, even though is says 2.  There is 0 dead money after this season.

I understand why the team would want to do it like that, but I understand why TD wants more security. It's smart for the front office to do CJ type deals for TD, but it's not smart for TD to settle for that. You never know what happens, and the Panthers could all of a sudden tell TD, we're not going to offer you a contract, and then TD is assed out. Same goes for Olsen, as his skills could deteriorate fast. Better try to get what you can now while you have the leverage. I say all this, but I also have no problem with teams lowballing players. It's smart, and it's the players who allow themselves to get low balled. It's business on both ends, and should be treated as a business by all parties

I understand why the team would want to do it like that, but I understand why TD wants more security. It's smart for the front office to do CJ type deals for TD, but it's not smart for TD to settle for that. You never know what happens, and the Panthers could all of a sudden tell TD, we're not going to offer you a contract, and then TD is assed out. Same goes for Olsen, as his skills could deteriorate fast. Better try to get what you can now while you have the leverage. I say all this, but I also have no problem with teams lowballing players. It's smart, and it's the players who allow themselves to get low balled. It's business on both ends, and should be treated as a business by all parties

Smart teams don't care much about what a 34 year old linebacker wants or needs...they care about what is the best for the franchise.  Signing him to an extension, especially if it's as large as expected, is not a good football move.

It's a nice move, a feel good move, but not a smart move.

Think Steelers and James Harrison.

9 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Smart teams don't care much about what a 34 year old linebacker wants or needs...they care about what is the best for the franchise.  Signing him to an extension, especially if it's as large as expected, is not a good football move.

It's a nice move, a feel good move, but not a smart move.

Think Steelers and James Harrison.

Well, smart players try to get as much as they can. It's business, and TD has to look at this as business. That's what y'all are screaming, right?

So nah, while I want my team to be competitive and compete for championships year after year, I'm also understanding of what TD and the rest of the players are trying to do and I'm not mad at them at all for trying to get as much as they can. It is what it is..

Just now, AggieLean said:

Well, smart players try to get as much as they can. It's business, and TD has to look at this as business. That's what y'all are screaming, right?

So nah, while I want my team to be competitive and compete for championships year after year, I'm also understanding of what TD and the rest of the players are trying to do and I'm not mad at them at all for trying to get as much as they can. It is what it is..

Again, not mad at TD, or Olsen.  Mad at JR for firing a guy who wanted to make good football moves, not run a vacation bible school.

Do you want to see the Panthers harmed longterm by overpaying two aging vets?

That is the only question to me.  Will this help or hurt the Panthers more?  That's the end of it for me.

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

Again, not mad at TD, or Olsen.  Mad at JR for firing a guy who wanted to make good football moves, not run a vacation bible school.

Do you want to see the Panthers harmed longterm by overpaying two aging vets?

That is the only question to me.  Will this help or hurt the Panthers more?  That's the end of it for me.

I answered your question. I want the panthers to be competitive year after year, but I also want each and every player on the panthers or any other team to fight for as much money as possible. I want my panthers team to not only be "classy" to those on the outside, but they should be "classy" and respectful to the players in the organization as well. 

1 minute ago, AggieLean said:

I answered your question. I want the panthers to be competitive year after year, but I also want each and every player on the panthers or any other team to fight for as much money as possible. I want my panthers team to not only be "classy" to those on the outside, but they should be "classy" and respectful to the players in the organization as well. 

I hear your point of view....and I get it.  But those two things are mutually exclusive, in most cases.

On 7/18/2017 at 1:24 PM, Eazy-E said:

Is it too crazy to think that this had more to do with guys like Morrison and Beane leaving after being with the franchise for so long? Beane had been with the team for 19 years and after only a few years of Gettleman left for Buffalo. 

Front office turmoil usually stays behind closed doors but I'm leaning more towards that then JR firing Gettleman for not handing out fat contracts to vets. 

Beane left for a fuging promotion dude. He got a GM position, after 19 years he paid his dues. That is far from a sign of turmoil.

Bunch of fools. 

4 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Another way for me to say this.

I'm happy for DWill, and Stew, and Jake, and Anderson, and CJ, and all the others......at the same time I'm pissed at Hurney and JR for putting this team in such a shitty place for placating to these players.

Overpaying player will come back to bite you, and my happiness for them getting paid is greatly diminished by those contracts making it harder to surround an up and coming QB with a decent team.

Archived