• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This Is How Things Are Going To Play Out

R0CKnR0LLA

First off, TD and Olsen are going to get big fat contract extensions. Hurney is terrible at dealing with contracts to begin with, and now he's in the worst negotiating spot possible with the previous GM being fired over not being able to get these deals done. He has no leverage whatsoever and these guys agents are going to murder him.

On the actual football side, things still look extremely positive, at least for the immediate future. Gettleman left the roster stacked with talent as well as in an excellent cap situation. For 2017 you're looking at 9-10 wins at least, maybe more. Probably a playoff birth.

The team could win the Super Bowl even, or just be one-and-done in the playoffs, but either way you're probably looking at a winning season and a playoff birth, which will be viewed as a positive. Then after the season our upcoming young free agents, Star, Turner, Norwell, will be chomping at the bit to ink a new deal while Hurney is still in charge.

At this point JR will look around and say "Hey, we're winning games, making the playoffs, all the vets are happy, our young free agents want to come back immediately without even testing free agency. Wow, Hurney's doing an excellent job! Might as well just keep him as the permanent GM!"

So Hurney gets the job permanently and from here I'm sure you can figure out what happens next because you've seen this all before. He'll re-sign our young core guys to massive contracts far exceeding their market value. He'll constantly wiff on every draft pick outside of the 1st round. He won't bring in any outside free agent worth a damn. Cap management will be a joke.

Within 2 or 3 years the Panthers will be right back in cap hell. The bottom half (or should I say bottom 75%) of the roster will deteriorate until we end up with scrubs like Sione Fua and Nick Hayden as full time starters. Even a couple injuries will completely derail entire seasons because the roster has no depth. The Panthers will stumble along with 7 and 8 win seasons for a few years.

Hurney will start to get desperate, trading away future picks and pushing huge amounts of money into the future as well, all in an attempt to field a halfway respectable team and win-now. Even as the state of the franchise gets worse and worse Richardson will stick with Hurney for far too long. He won't want to immediately admit his mistake.

When Hurney is finally sent packing for a 2nd time it will take another 3-4 years to fix the cap mess he leaves and re-stock the roster with talent. All the while you're wasting precious years of Luke and Cam in their prime.

By the end of all this you could very well be looking at a full rebuild and you can absolutely bet the franchise will be a complete joke in the eyes of every NFL fan.

Good luck to anyone that plans to stay around through all this because if you think I will then you're smoking more crack than JR right now. Go Raiders bitch.

MryGpAx.jpg

2 minutes ago, R0CKnR0LLA said:

First off, TD and Olsen are going to get big fat contract extensions. Hurney is terrible at dealing with contracts to begin with, and now he's in the worst negotiating spot possible with the previous GM being fired over not being able to get these deals done. He has no leverage whatsoever and these guys agents are going to murder him.

On the actual football side, things still look extremely positive, at least for the immediate future. Gettleman left the roster stacked with talent as well as in an excellent cap situation. For 2017 you're looking at 9-10 wins at least, maybe more. Probably a playoff birth.

The team could win the Super Bowl even, or just be one-and-done in the playoffs, but either way you're probably looking at a winning season and a playoff birth, which will be viewed as a positive. Then after the season our upcoming young free agents, Star, Turner, Norwell, will be chomping at the bit to ink a new deal while Hurney is still in charge.

At this point JR will look around and say "Hey, we're winning games, making the playoffs, all the vets are happy, our young free agents want to come back immediately without even testing free agency. Wow, Hurney's doing an excellent job! Might as well just keep him as the permanent GM!"

So Hurney gets the job permanently and from here I'm sure you can figure out what happens next because you've seen this all before. He'll re-sign our young core guys to massive contracts far exceeding their market value. He'll constantly wiff on every draft pick outside of the 1st round. He won't bring in any outside free agent worth a damn. Cap management will be a joke.

Within 2 or 3 years the Panthers will be right back in cap hell. The bottom half (or should I say bottom 75%) of the roster will deteriorate until we end up with scrubs like Sione Fua and Nick Hayden as full time starters. Even a couple injuries will completely derail entire seasons because the roster has no depth. The Panthers will stumble along with 7 and 8 win seasons for a few years.

Hurney will start to get desperate, trading away future picks and pushing huge amounts of money into the future as well, all in an attempt to field a halfway respectable team and win-now. Even as the state of the franchise gets worse and worse Richardson will stick with Hurney for far too long. He won't want to immediately admit his mistake.

When Hurney is finally sent packing for a 2nd time it will take another 3-4 years to fix the cap mess he leaves and re-stock the roster with talent. All the while you're wasting precious years of Luke and Cam in their prime.

By the end of all this you could very well be looking at a full rebuild and you can absolutely bet the franchise will be a complete joke in the eyes of every NFL fan.

Good luck to anyone that plans to stay around through all this because if you think I will then you're smoking more crack than JR right now. Go Raiders bitch.

MryGpAx.jpg

I predict you will be eating a lot of crows and will look like fool.

It's imperative that the Panthers don't make the playoffs this year for the good of the franchise. Thankfully, the players seem to only care about a fat paycheck that Hurney will surely provide within the next week and don't care about actual football.

After a 7-9 season, Jerry will snap out of his dementia for a second when he sees a pie chart of revenue for when the fans abandoned BOA by October and fire the coaching staff and the GM.

Unfortunately, I don't trust him after that.

Here's what's going to happen.  I'm going to watch all the preseason games to the end of the fourth quarter.  I may even go to one, but I will give my tickets away to one too.  Work permitting, I am going to attend all of the home games, just like I did in 2012.  I'll buy playoff tickets if I have to, and will certainly watch all the games.  In June I'll re-up my PSLs.  Throughout it all I will get on various message boards and discuss the draft, free agency, how the team is doing, and what we think will happen.  Next year, rinse, repeat...

That's what a fan does.  Maybe you'll be one someday.

8 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

It's imperative that the Panthers don't make the playoffs this year for the good of the franchise. Thankfully, the players seem to only care about a fat paycheck that Hurney will surely provide within the next week and don't care about actual football.

After a 7-9 season, Jerry will snap out of his dementia for a second when he sees a pie chart of revenue for when the fans abandoned BOA by October and fire the coaching staff and the GM.

Unfortunately, I don't trust him after that.

It would definitely be better for the Panthers long-term to lose this season and get a real GM in place, but I just don't see that happening. Gettleman left the team too well off, honestly 9-10 wins is a conservative estimate, you could easily see 12+. I can't imagine them not at least getting a wildcard spot, especially with how weak the NFC is right now.

3 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

it's kinda lazy to assume it will play out EXACTLY like before, like he hasnt learned anything from the past to help him in the future. With that said, it will probably play out like this.

I mean he's been around football forever and even at the very end of his first GM stint he was still repeating the same stupid mistakes. I doubt at his age he just magically transformed into a competent GM with few years of sitting around and going on talk radio shows.

Archived