• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shula

Pantherxtreme

I know it's preseason but is anyone baffled why our esteemed OC let a whole quarter expire before lining our best running back up in the backfield?

I mean I know CMC is a great receiver out of the backfield but you take away that strength by lining him out wide, they should be trying to isolate him against linebackers and safeties in open space. Not running routes on the outside against cornerbacks. 

Anyways McCaffery is too good and too important to this offense be only getting his first rushing carry in the 2nd quarter. Not a great called game by Shula. 

4 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Why didn't Shula just keep our starters in the whole game when we were obviously behind by 17 points?

Maybe because, uh, it's preseason.

But I thought we were about winning every game. We should of had Cam and Luke start and maybe we would have won.

4 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Why didn't Shula just keep our starters in the whole game when we were obviously behind by 17 points?

Maybe because, uh, it's preseason.

What does Shula not letting Mccaffery carry the ball into the 2nd quarter have to do with the starters playing the whole game? Why don't you look at some more film and come back and tell us how much you think KB sucks and Russell Shepard is destined to make the probowl.

This thread, other than the on-point sarcasm makes little sense.

It's preseason. Shula is trying to get certain players in on certain play calls, not game-planning for a regular game. Yeah "winning" is nice. Moral victories can mean something, I guess, but preseason is more about the evaluation of execution by personnel. 

Now mind you, it still makes little sense to call a play that is essentially destined for failure because you really don't accomplish anything other than seeing your guy get tackled, but the OC is still not following a plan, he's just trying to see how a player executes on a certain play (likely based on strengths and/or weaknesses that he's observed throughout camp and the preseason practices.

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

This thread, other than the on-point sarcasm makes little sense.

It's preseason. Shula is trying to get certain players in on certain play calls, not game-planning for a regular game. Yeah "winning" is nice. Moral victories can mean something, I guess, but preseason is more about the evaluation of execution by personnel. 

I understand there is no game planning, I just thought the ideal of lining CMC out wide was just not sound strategy and I hope they weren't practicing it to use it when the games really count because it didn't look effective, as opposed to Tennessee offensive scheme  despite it being preseason looked effective.  So I made a thread about it, if it got you guys all in a bunch you can delete it geez. 

1 minute ago, Pantherxtreme said:

I understand there is no game planning, I just thought the ideal of lining CMC out wide was just not sound strategy and I hope they weren't practicing it to use it when the games really count because it didn't look effective, as opposed to Tennessee offensive scheme  despite it being preseason looked effective.  So I made a thread about it, if it got you guys all in a bunch you can delete it geez.

4 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

I understand there is no game planning, I just thought the ideal of lining CMC out wide was just not sound strategy and I hope they weren't practicing it to use it when the games really count because it didn't look effective. 

Um, CMC lining out wide isn't a sound strategy?

Since I'm writing on this very topic, I'll show you how exactly CMC lining out wide is very effective.

CMC1x.gif.72b2280299ddb25875a00f260864fe33.gif

CMC lining out wide basically frees up the slot. There's more space for the slot receiver to work with and allows him to go one on one against the corner inside. As seen above, KB beats his man on the line and takes advantage of the matchup for a good gain.

So yes, lining up CMC wide IS a very sound strategy.

Archived