• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Damiere Byrd vs Kaelin Clay?

MurkN

Damiere Byrd vs Kaelin Clay  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have if we can't keep both?

2 minutes ago, ecu88 said:

So check out the preseason return stats above then get back at me.

You won't win any arguments based on that...

Byrd soared against a CB playing horrid defense, and then fell back down to earth for basically the rest of preseason. I was expecting more, but it never came. You're not convincing me that his route running or hands are notably superior to Clay's. Byrd is basically a one dimensional receiver that will blow the roof off the defense, but as a short to intermediate threat he will always go down at first contact.

1 minute ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I don't care about the stats. I care about what he  made out of the hand he was dealt and Clay was much better at making guys miss. He can work on his hands and his route running but you can't coach shiftiness. You either have it or you don't.

Work on hands see Ginn Jr. I like both but Byrd is more polished and ready to set in if called. If possible keep 6 WR.

49 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Ted Ginn was a hell of a lot better than Byrd, who still has only 1 NFL catch, BTW. Also, I don't remember seeing Clay drop a pass last night.

Wrs drop balls no one is perfect. Clay has dropped passes as well. Both are good and would like to keep both.  We will never know who is best bc they will never be on the field at the same time with the ones. I choose bryd because of separation his hands and speed. Clay would be for the same reason.  I just feel bryd should have made the team last yr and been playing with the ones more ..i feel Clay should too just not before Byrd. Who I question is funchess and shepard.

55 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Ted Ginn was a hell of a lot better than Byrd, who still has only 1 NFL catch, BTW. Also, I don't remember seeing Clay drop a pass last night.

Just because you saw more of Ginn does not mean he was 100% better..Ginn  dropped about as many as he caught.. You have no idea what bryd can do bc opportunity has not been given..and if this caching staff would open up a little they may see that vets are not the only ones who can contribute..some youngsters dont play well during practice but just have that it factor.. you can just see it..i see that in Byrd and in clay.

16 minutes ago, Darvinsun said:

Just because you saw more of Ginn does not mean he was 100% better..Ginn  dropped about as many as he caught.. You have no idea what bryd can do bc opportunity has not been given..and if this caching staff would open up a little they may see that vets are not the only ones who can contribute..some youngsters dont play well during practice but just have that it factor.. you can just see it..i see that in Byrd and in clay.

Ginn is better because he has actual NFL production. That doesn't excuse all the dropped passes but how do you know Byrd wouldn't drop just as many in real games, assuming he can get open in the first place? Again, Byrd has 1 catch in 2 years with the Panthers.

The OP asked for my opinion, and my opinion is that Clay is better than Byrd. I couldn't care less if it goes against the group or not. I call it like I see it.

28 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Ginn is better because he has actual NFL production. That doesn't excuse all the dropped passes but how do you know Byrd wouldn't drop just as many in real games, assuming he can get open in the first place? Again, Byrd has 1 catch in 2 years with the Panthers.

The OP asked for my opinion, and my opinion is that Clay is better than Byrd. I couldn't care less if it goes against the group or not. I call it like I see it.

I did not say I knew..Read we don't know bc opportunity has not been given.. just bc he has the NFL season game experience does not make him better.. just means he has been given opportunity...There are plenty of players that get in games and just ball..just like there are people who are not good  at taking a test on something  but give them the job and you would think they aced the test. Your the one compared the 2 and gave the nod that he Ginn was better bc yes he has played in a Nfl season as a starter not me. I just said that it was not right bc you have nothing to compare that to from byrd. Just because you got the job does not mean your the best at it or better not all the time.

As far as your opinion that is fine. These are all opinions. And just like you I call it like I see it and I interprete what you are saying, but it does not mean that I am right or you are right..anyone can have a view its all opinionated. 

I just don't think Byrd is that good. If he has a good punt return, it's because he had a lane and ran in a straight line until he got hit, and he always goes down on the first hit. Clay can make things happen when there is no obvious lane. You can't coach that. He can be just as good or better at route running and catching passes with a little coaching though. When it comes to the bottom of the roster, I would rather go with the guy who has more raw ability because he's probably not going to get a uniform on most Sundays anyway. That means you most likely have some time to teach them the things they don't already know.

9 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I just don't think Byrd is that good. If he has a good punt return, it's because he had a lane and ran in a straight line until he got hit, and he always goes down on the first hit. Clay can make things happen when there is no obvious lane. You can't coach that. He can be just as good or better at route running and catching passes with a little coaching though. When it comes to the bottom of the roster, I would rather go with the guy who has more raw ability because he's probably not going to get a uniform on most Sundays anyway. That means you most likely have some time to teach them the things they don't already know.

I do not disagree with what you say I like both..I just feel this coaching staff does not give the young kids opportunities..Bryd flashed last yr and they put him in the last game and scored 1 td...Our wrs last yr was a wash we were really out of playoffs by the 9th game..that should have been the time to let guys that flashed during preseason more time with the ones instead of letting starters continuously get hurt.. Clay and byrd to me are good.. Clay maybe better..its just that i give the nod to Byrd bc I think if on the field he can help our team.and so can clay..I think he has the confidence now.

1 hour ago, Darvinsun said:

I do not disagree with what you say I like both..I just feel this coaching staff does not give the young kids opportunities..Bryd flashed last yr and they put him in the last game and scored 1 td...Our wrs last yr was a wash we were really out of playoffs by the 9th game..that should have been the time to let guys that flashed during preseason more time with the ones instead of letting starters continuously get hurt.. Clay and byrd to me are good.. Clay maybe better..its just that i give the nod to Byrd bc I think if on the field he can help our team.and so can clay..I think he has the confidence now.

Byrd never scored a TD. Here are his career stats...http://www.nfl.com/player/damierebyrd/2553499/careerstats

1 catch for 16yds and 0TD's. To me, that and the fact that he's been here for 2 years already is the extent of his lead on Clay. That is next to nothing, IMO.

Just FTR, here are Clay's return stats from last year as a Raven...http://www.nfl.com/player/kaelinclay/2552651/careerstats

He has returned punts and kicks in real games and did it pretty well with 0 fumbles.

Archived