• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Last Jedi

twylyght

7 hours ago, cookinwithgas said:

Thats just crazy talk, I present Ep 1,2 and 3 as evidence. The Star Wars Holiday Special was not a movie, and the Ewok TV movie was the worst Star Wars movie.

The SWHS came out when I was a freshman in high school and I had to decide to stay home and watch it or go to the weekly HS dance - went to the dance thinking that the special was going to be on every year like Rudolph, and this was before VCRs were mainstream, so I didn't get to see it until a couple of years later when a friend had a VHS of it. Oh it was awful watching Chewies grandpa get all excited for Diahann Carroll.

I honestly liked Ep 1,2, and 3 more than Rogue One.   At least I could stay awake watching any of those.  Only reason I've seen all of Rogue One is because I watched it several times starting at the last place I remembered.  Yeah its an unpopular opinion, but I hated Rogue One.  

I really like hearing all these opinions as they are well thought out and I am really just a fanboy, so Rogue One was the Star Wars movie I had always dreamed about. Seeing all the old school X and Y Wings was a geek dream come true for me so I can't be really objective about it. I liked that they had the force sensitive guy that didn't fall into any bad archetypes like he goes to the dark side at a bad moment, or hes a crazy wanna be Jedi - being a blind ass kicker was a great idea even though the character was going to be Chinese for marketing/showing in China reasons. Although the actress playing Jyn Erso wasn't that great in the role, the idea of the character and her arc were a good action hero setup. The robot made no sense whatsoever but it stole the show from the flesh and blood actors. I was fascinated by the digital Tarkin, and thought that while it was clear Leia was CGI, part of that comes from the fact that you know its a CGI Carrie Fisher, and I came to appreciate the digital Leia as a real labor for many artists. The Star Destroyer collision and the culmination of the storylines was some really good editing I thought. And the Vader sequence at the end just gets better every time I see it.

I really hope that the characters in Star Wars Battlefront 2 story mode are not the parents of Rey that would be a huge let down. The two main characters are defected storm troopers who join the rebelion and become close to luke and Leah and have a daughter on Jakku. The father is named Del and it just happens that the publishing company is Del Rey for the books. Del is with Luke when he discovers a compass which is used to make the map in the force awakens. 

I think that would be a let down if this is gonna be how it goes. 

You people are crazy.   Rogue One is EASILY the second best Star Wars movie after Empire, those are the only two great movies.    Phantom was meh, Clone was OK, Revenge of Sith was pretty good, New Hope was good, Jedi was a letdown and Force Awakens is basically New Hope rehashed but still mostly good.    Rogue One was like the only movie where stakes felt real and mattered.  

There are two terrible movie experiences I've had where I went in expecting awesome and got ugh - Star Trek V was the first and most disappointing, as it was the first Trek movie that came out after I was out of the Navy, drove 3 hours from training in Long Island to Boston to pick up my friend to see it and it was absolutely more terrible than anything with the Trek label on it had a right to be, and Phantom Menace, although I had to see it twice to convince myself it was that bad. Dude had like 30 years and unlimited funds to come up with it and that's how it came out?

Lucas is still a personal hero, what he went through to make the original, and sticking to his guns through it all - well he deserves all the success he got. But I am glad he sold the rights to Disney, they are a corporate monolith more akin to the Empire than the Rebellion, but they have the tools to make good art if the suits allow it - and so far Kathleen Kennedy is handling that pretty well despite a lot of challenges.

On 11/23/2017 at 8:21 AM, R0CKnR0LLA said:

lol @ people saying the phantom menace is better than anything

Those 3 Star Wars money grabs were terrible.  And they grabbed crazy money but so cartoonish.  

The first 3 releases in order for me and TFA are the really good Star Wars movies.  Hope this one is 5 at least.

For me the original Star Wars is the greatest movie ever made.  Light years better than The Godfather.

On 11/23/2017 at 10:22 AM, cookinwithgas said:

There are two terrible movie experiences I've had where I went in expecting awesome and got ugh - Star Trek V was the first and most disappointing, as it was the first Trek movie that came out after I was out of the Navy, drove 3 hours from training in Long Island to Boston to pick up my friend to see it and it was absolutely more terrible than anything with the Trek label on it had a right to be, and Phantom Menace, although I had to see it twice to convince myself it was that bad. Dude had like 30 years and unlimited funds to come up with it and that's how it came out?

Lucas is still a personal hero, what he went through to make the original, and sticking to his guns through it all - well he deserves all the success he got. But I am glad he sold the rights to Disney, they are a corporate monolith more akin to the Empire than the Rebellion, but they have the tools to make good art if the suits allow it - and so far Kathleen Kennedy is handling that pretty well despite a lot of challenges.

For me personally, I'd substitute Star Trek (before my time kind of ) with Matrix Reloaded.    Right there with you on Menace though.      Matrix wasn't TERRIBLE but it was a monster letdown after Matrix, which I watched like weekly.  

On 11/25/2017 at 10:45 PM, Zaximus said:

For me personally, I'd substitute Star Trek (before my time kind of ) with Matrix Reloaded.    Right there with you on Menace though.      Matrix wasn't TERRIBLE but it was a monster letdown after Matrix, which I watched like weekly.  

I really liked the first Matrix because it was unique, not because it had 200 Agent Smiths on a screen at the same time. The later movies had some good scenes but mostly it was just a bunch of fighting where everyone just gets up and does it again. They were amazing technically but that's about it.

It’s just my opinion but I think the prequels have aged quite well. I revisit the films from time to time and honestly Revenge of the Sith is a good film. There are certain moments that should have been flushed out but it is solid. As is The Phantom Menace sans Jar Jar.

i know the acting gets bashed in the prequels but to be frank the acting isn’t all that great in OT either. But it is so beloved and defended because it is the original and has nostalgia on its side. It’s the fantasy that people love anyway.

Archived