• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ZOMG! CMC iz uh BUZT!!

Jeremy Igo

Hi there! How are you? I am fine. 

I have seen some chatter within the Kingdom of Panthers Fans that CMC is already considered a bust. Allow me to slowly unzip and proceed to urinate on that idea. 

Let us take a look at a typical Mike Shula running play design against what is commonly known to be an extremely fast and talented run defense. 

giphy.gif

Notice .... your two best players on the line are taken out of the play immediately by a god awful scheme.

Andrew Norwell is asked to pull, but can't because Matt Kalil can't sufficiently block his man. You know Kalil is a horrible run blocker yet you hinge Norwell's performance on his? Are you kidding me? Don't blame Kalil, everyone knows he is bad. Do blame the guy that puts bad players in positions they should not be in and even worse, in a position that HURTS OTHER PLAYERS' PERFORMANCES. 

Trai Turner's job in the play above is to block at the second fuggin level. That is right, in a game where the Panthers could not even get to the line of scrimmage, Turner is 5 yard downfield blocking. YOUR BEST OFFENSIVE LINEMAN IS TAKEN OUT OF THE PLAY BY YOUR OWN DESIGN. That is awful. 

Bonus: Daryl Williams, who has been a pretty darn good run blocker this season is also at the second level. I mean, who needs him at the point of attack, amiright? 

Reminder: This play was called well after the Eagles showed they would dominate the Panthers at the LOS all god damn game long. 

So I have a crazy idea. Hear me out. 

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE SECOND LEVEL UNTIL YOU HAVE PROVEN YOU CAN GET PAST THE FIRST LEVEL JUST ONCE. 

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify. 

Let Norwell and Turner do what they were born to do, allow them to dominate at the LOS straight up. No more pulling. No more sending Turner 5 yards down field so he can watch defenders maul his running backs. For once, get mad and pretend like you are an actual running football team. 

Put a helmet on a fuggin helmet and run the ball. Minimize the amount of mistakes that can (and will) be made by simplifying the blocking scheme. Even if you only manage 3 yards a play, that is a 300% improvement over what you are doing now.   

1 minute ago, Dex said:

How on Earth is he a bust he's been one of the only bright spots on our offense... This forum can be unbearable with all of the autism.

Sorry but apparently he’s supposed to have 1000 yards by now in rushing alone to be considered not a bust.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

This place is confusing at times. Always read how Shula's run game scheme is vanilla and predictable and a high school offense is more creative/complex but also it needs to be simplified more at the same time. 

When Shula will run the ball is predictable. 

The scheme itself is overly complex and ineffective. 

It is the worst of both worlds. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I like the play last week when it looked like the linemen were blocking for a screen play and not a single d lineman was blocked.  It was truly some 4D chess.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

And to add to this I would say it is easy to defend.  I've noticed that the DLine has either figured out that the just have to rush straight up field because the guy in front of him is going to pull and give him an open lane or they will put 5 OLine-men on two Dline-men and leave two free to rush.   Nevermind the blitzing because most of the time it's not needed.

I think Shula tries to get too cute with his scheme and creates more confusion than necessary.  He would rather rely on confusion/misdirection than physically imposing their will.

Archived