• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Olsen Says Shula isn’t the Problem and the Critics Have No Idea What’s Really Going On

HardcoreDefense

So due to our past offensive success with Shula, Greg believes Shula has proven to be a good offensive coordinator and everyone is overacting.  To sum everything up Olsen says,

"I've think we've shown around here that we've been a very good offense, so I think a lot of that is the typical overreaction to bad games,"

"That's the easy way out, that's the easy critique for people who watching from a distance don't really have an idea of what's going on. That's the easy solution to everybody who doesn't have much knowledge of what we're actually doing, so I think that's careless."

He goes on by saying, “I'm watching as a spectator like everybody is right now. I just think it's a slippery slope (when) everyone has their solutions when you really have no idea – and I'm putting myself in that same boat,"

"I haven't been part of a game plan and meetings, so it's hard for me to sit up there and say, 'This should’ve' and 'that should’ve.' I don't know either, and I know a lot more about this offense than everybody else in the bleachers."

Greg’s solution to the problem is simply playing better and stopping the mistakes.

"Watching the tape, knowing what our offense is and what we're trying to get done, we have to play better. We have to stop making mistakes. We have to make plays that are there. We have to block better, run better. It sounds cliché and simple, but that's really what it is.”

So, do you all believe Olsen is being honest by saying the struggle on offense is mainly due to players mistakes and poor execution? Reading this article, he truly seems satisfied with Shula’s scheme and isn’t throwing shade at all. Or is he trying to be a good player by protecting Shula from getting the boot even if he is the problem?

Are we simply “overacting” and as spectators aren’t qualified to criticize a team since we have no idea what’s going on behind closed doors?

Link to the article http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Greg-Olsen-defends-Panthers-offense/a9153902-40f4-46ec-a8d1-f29232e2705a

I would take him seriously if he didn’t say this almost 6 years ago...

I said that's fine. I get that. I said you know me I'm not one that goes out and speaks to the media. I'm not really a throw-guys-under-the-bus [kind of guy]. I respect that. I was nothing but professional. Then the day after the trade goes down he was the one saying that I was demanding [a trade in 2010]. I just thought that was a little uncalled for when all along I did nothing but play the good guy."”

he wont call out a guy (even when his OC was an idiot for not using him in Chicago), what makes you think he will Call out Mike Shula?

Source : http://www.espn.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7182502/greg-olsen-chicago-bears-unprofessional-trade

4 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

lack of execution is part of the equation. glad he recognizes it and is taking the approach of self-critique.

shula still at best contributes no quantifiable good to this team.

I don't believe it is the offense.  I believe it is the calls.   I have seen some of the plays that we run that could help us.  The sad part is we only see that play once or twice a game. 

I am not a guru when it comes to dissecting the defense but it doesn't take a scientist to figure out that if a team is going to stack the box against you that you have to spread it out.   You don't continually run right at it and expect that we break a big gain on each play. 

Shula is the play caller and needs to use his whole playbook instead of the same 3 plays per game.

Even if it is Shula and Greg knows it, do you serially think the best way he can think of to support HIS team is to go on at public bashing display?

He is a team captain with the owners ear, Shula would be long gone if Greg wanted him to be.

That being said, the fact that every play in our book takes at least 25s at the line of scrimmage, even when playing from way behind and time is running out, is on Shula. And seriously, that alone should be enough to get rid of him.

I sorta agree with Greg here, position coaches are not holding our players to the standards they should be. Trai Turner looking around lost while cmc is running a screen, kb getting out muscled in a slant route, then letting the ball bounce of his chest, Samuel fumbling a pitch etc. you see Seattle getting roudy everytime players start poorly performing, coordinators and all.

31 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Unfortunately, a battered spouse will often say that she was out of line and deserved it. 

:(

My personal theory that has no grounding whatsoever is that Cam and a few others are becoming frustrated with this and there is something off in the locker room. The team is trying to keep quiet because of the tight-nit/family-esque facade we've built over the years.  The players' (minus a few) don't even realize they're constantly being thrown under the bus because happy times!  We have a lot of pieces now gone from 2015 that were locker room presences.   

You can see it right there on the sidelines, as spectators.   They look uninterested, uninspired, and honestly frustrated, but then in interviews you see them thinking about the god honest truth and they're just good with the team speak.  Content with no passion...the talent will carry us to wins but where's that extra something special?  I'm not seeing it and it's apparent when a team has IT.       

I mean the JR-Captain meeting was not very transparent.  Was it truly all about the dudes standing for the anthem?  I know, inciting conspiracies is silly, but....we just had a GM fired who brought together like 85% of the current roster.    

I just feel like there's something kind of off within the team as a group this year, which is more important than many think.  

Something is off and it's being kept quiet IMO.    

The design of the runs isn't the issue. From a technical football aspect, it's fine. It's the calls and lack of adjusting and it's clear that not game planning for the team you're facing that week is a terrible idea if you want to win consistently and convincingly. 

This team needs a better staff. That's simply all there is to it. Good play calling can hide weak players on the field. Seen it in every single team in the league except this one.

Archived