• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Off season questions. #1. Matt Kalil.

Toomers

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

I’ve defended Gettleman on many issues and I was the first one blasting this move as a “dark day in Panthers history”: And he has proven that statement correct. Outside of a few games....he’s been awful. No where near the level Oher played at in 2015. And his contract is going to cost us other players. 

Again, this is just a misunderstanding of how our offense worked in 2015 vs this year. In 2015, we ran a lot more 12/21 personnel and went max protect pretty much anytime we were looking to take a deep shot. Oher (and Remmers for that matter) were getting a lot of help from tight ends, running backs or just extra offensive linemen that either chipped a rusher before entering their routes or outright stayed in to the block. We're doing a lot less of that this year, running a lot more 3+ receiver sets and leaving our tackles on an island against rushing ends. The only reason you think Oher played better is because he was getting a lot more help vs Kalil who is mostly being asked to hold his own. 

3 minutes ago, Toomers said:

You need to do some better research. That is not LT snaps. He actually started 3 of the first 4 games there. But now with Armstead out( the real LT) they move Peat out there instead. Not sure why. Probably because Ramcyck doing so well at RT. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RamcRy00/fantasy/2017

So, roughly 20%?

10 minutes ago, FugAllY'all said:

Again, this is just a misunderstanding of how our offense worked in 2015 vs this year. In 2015, we ran a lot more 12/21 personnel and went max protect pretty much anytime we were looking to take a deep shot. Oher (and Remmers for that matter) were getting a lot of help from tight ends, running backs or just extra offensive linemen that either chipped a rusher before entering their routes or outright stayed in to the block. We're doing a lot less of that this year, running a lot more 3+ receiver sets and leaving our tackles on an island against rushing ends. The only reason you think Oher played better is because he was getting a lot more help vs Kalil who is mostly being asked to hold his own. 

Tell yourself what you need to about the difference in offenses being a reason. This offense, and blocking by schemes are not vastly different. If anything, more short passes mask those plays where Kalil goes full bullfighter. They left Oher on an island every bit as much as Kalil has been. With a lot less whiffs in protection. 

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You asked for statistics, I gave you a link. Maybe you should switch to decaf or perhaps unbind your panties.

I asked for correct statistics. Something you failed to provide. Then you provide the correct information after I already stated it. Maybe learning the phrase...”I was mistaken, my bad” when you post something false instead of attacking someone for correcting you. Sorry about your ego.

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

I asked for correct statistics. Something you failed to provide. Then you provide the correct information after I already stated it. Maybe learning the phrase...”I was mistaken, my bad” when you post something false instead of attacking someone for correcting you. Sorry about your ego.

Or you could just use Google.

2 hours ago, FugAllY'all said:

Really have no choice but to ride out next year with him and hope he improves. Honestly the discussion about him is incredibly hyperbolic and just an extension of arguments over the justification for DG's firing. The truth is outside of a couple games against elite defensive ends (namely Cam Jordan) where he got absolutely worked, he's been average to good. Certainly better than the revolving door we had last year and probably a tad better than Oher's 2015.

Oher did an amazing job of pass blocking during the 2015 season. Kalil has been a turn style this year, letting guys pass by him freely most games. Oher's run blocking was awful, but I doubt Kalil has been much better there either.

1 hour ago, FugAllY'all said:

Did you not watch the superbowl where both of the tackles were left on an island the entire game and the punishment Cam took throughout the game because of it? Oher actually did pretty well against Ware, but Remmers was just embarrassed by Von Miller like every single pass play. How Shula never adjusted by having a TE or RB help block Miller I will never understand.

4 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Ugh. That contract literally has Jerry Richardson’s fingerprints all over it. 

Either way, we’ll probably be stuck with Matt Kalil next year as well. I mean he’s not atrociously bad with Andrew Norwell next to him, but I don’t believe he’s proving he’s worth his contract right now.

Jerry Richardson?   Why doesn't that have Gettlemen all over it?  I don't understand. 

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Or you could just use Google.

You gots to love folks that are too lazy to do their own research. Then get huffy when they don't like what you give them.

Either way. @Toomers is just an argumentative bully, who also thinks he is the smartest in the room. A dangerous combination. lol

5 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

You gots to love folks that are too lazy to do their own research. Then get huffy when they don't like what you give them.

Either way. @Toomers is just an argumentative bully, who also thinks he is the smartest in the room. A dangerous combination. lol

Not that it matters, but I knew the answer before I asked the question. It was why I asked in the first place. Sorry if it offends you if I correct a simple fact in a discussion. If that makes me a “bully(lol)” I’ll just have to live with it. You will too. 

Archived