• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman Wanted Shurmur as OC in Carolina But Ron Chose Shula

bobsfoodbasics

Guess we got the "Shu" part.  Just should've finished it with "rmur' rather than "la".

Said at the time that Shurmur would have meant retooling the roster to fit a WCO type attack.  And a West Coast scheme wouldn't necessarily have been the best kind of attack for Cam Newton. 

Not sure if Rivera took that into account when he made the decision.  I mean if he saw that as a problem, why interview him in the first place?  Granted, Rivera and Shurmur had been colleagues under Andy Reid with the Eagles, but still...

Still, knowing what I know now, I'd have taken a West Coast retool over Shula.

14 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

A GM shouldn't force a head coach to hire an assistant. That head coach should be smart enough to see things aren't working or to not hire someone like Shula in the first place 

Thus why real fans can see that Rivera is a poo coach getting by because of a talented team. The sky is the limit if we had a competent head coach

10 minutes ago, rhyslloyd said:

This should surprise no one.  Ron Rivera has a horrible eye for talent of any kind and is loyal to a fault to guys he's comfortable with.  It should have gotten him fired several years ago.

I wouldn't say this. I think Ron's biggest issue is that he's loyal to a fault. I mean, he's had three guys on his staff go onto be NFL head coaches and numerous others receive promotions elsewhere as well. I understand why Ron went with Shula for the continuity piece given that Cam was still early in his career but after fielding the #26 overall offense in the NFL in his first season as OC, Shula should've been one and done in that spot. Ron was blinded by that 12-4 record but didn't seem to comprehend that Shula's offense was an anchor around our necks.

18 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

A GM shouldn't force a head coach to hire an assistant. That head coach should be smart enough to see things aren't working or to not hire someone like Shula in the first place 

I thought Shula actually did a good job as a quarterback coach.  But his resume' as an offensive coordinator and a college head coach was absolutely cringeworthy.

Shurmur's OC resume' was great, though he was just coming off being fired as the Browns head coach (and replaced by Chudzinski) at the time.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I thought Shula actually did a good job as a quarterback coach.  But his resume' as an offensive coordinator and a college head coach was absolutely cringeworthy.

Shurmur's OC resume' was great, though he was just coming off being fired as the Browns head coach (and replaced by Chudzinski) at the time.

Hell, the Browns fired Bill Belichick. That's the ultimate cherry on top of the poo sundae that the Browns are.

Archived