• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Will Begin Conducting GM Interviews This Week

bobsfoodbasics

11 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Makes no sense to give Hurney or anyone else a long term deal when new ownership could fire them. Would be nice to have the new boss/bosses in place so we can see what the FO is going to look like.

Maybe the new boss will be a carbon copy of the old boss?  I mean it could be one of the existing minority owners stepping in to take over and they like mediocrity just like JR?  Wouldn't that suck?

34 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

All this poo was decided before gettleman was even fired.

Fire Hurney with the understanding that you'll bring him back at some point.

Hire somebody competent to fix his mess.

After they fix things, fire them and bring Hurney back in.

Does that pretty much cover it?

The one bright spot is that without that Sports Illustrated report, who knows how many more years we'd have had of Richardson screwing everything into the ground?

i wouldn’t be surprised if this “process” was just a way to at least entrench marty as a full time GM as one of JR’s last personnel moves before he sells the team.

almost like how HR will go through an interviewing process while they have someone that already works there in line for the position anyway.

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

Maybe the new boss will be a carbon copy of the old boss?  I mean it could be one of the existing minority owners stepping in to take over and they like mediocrity just like JR?  Wouldn't that suck?

Or they have an agreement with JR to follow his wishes.

Yes, that would absolutely suck, but unfortunately it's quite possible.

Just now, rodeo said:

it's it a little weird to hire a new GM like a month or two before we get a new owner? what if they want their own GM?

This is all JR.  It's his last ditch effort to entrench Hurney as GM.  Got to keep the family together as long as he can.  I'm betting he knows who the owners will be and has set this all up.  We are fuged.

3 minutes ago, rodeo said:

it's it a little weird to hire a new GM like a month or two before we get a new owner? what if they want their own GM?

It's got nothing to do with the team.

The idea is 1) to put Marty in place in the hope that the new owner decides it's easier to just keep him than look for somebody else or 2) to make sure Marty gets one last big payday just in case the new owner doesn't keep him.

How this affects the team is irrelevant. It's about Marty.

1 minute ago, rodeo said:

probably already said itt but i'm not reading: seems a little weird to hire a new GM like a month or two before we get a new owner? what if they want their own GM?

Well we have to have a GM. Marty's contract is just through June or something. Sale likely finalized after that. The timing makes it so that we have to hire somebody for until new ownership comes in. 

I'd throw in what I consider to be an obvious question that nobody seems to be asking.

We all know that Marty Hurney is Jerry Richardson's most loyal employee and closest confidante.

So the natural question would be just what did Hurney know about the workplace misconduct that was going on (or the racial incident)?

Did Hurney help hide the legal settlements from the NFL?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's got nothing to do with the team.

The idea is 1) to put Marty in place in the hope that the new owner decides it's easier to just keep him than look for somebody else or 2) to make sure Marty gets one last big payday just in case the new owner doesn't keep him.

How this affects the team is irrelevant. It's about Marty.

Do you not realize how ridiculous you are coming across right now? Firing DG was stupid but JR did so for whatever reason. Hurney actually made sense as an interim before a full on GM search after the year. The team getting put up for sale changed things though and if Hurney stays it's only for the reason that we need a GM and who else would take the job with new ownership coming in? This isn't about Hurney at all.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd throw in what I consider to be an obvious question that nobody seems to be asking.

We all know that Marty Hurney is Jerry Richardson's most loyal employee and closest confidante.

So the natural question would be just what did Hurney know about the workplace misconduct that was going on (or the racial incident)?

Did Hurney help hide the legal settlements from the NFL?

Of course he did.  Why else keep the guy around. I'd be willing to bet he signed a confidentiality agreement to keep his mouth shut also.

Just now, thomas96 said:

Do you not realize how ridiculous you are coming across right now? Firing DG was stupid but JR did so for whatever reason. Hurney actually made sense as an interim before a full on GM search after the year. The team getting put up for sale changed things though and if Hurney stays it's only for the reason that we need a GM and who else would take the job with new ownership coming in? This isn't about Hurney at all.

You really believe Jerry Richardson is doing this for logical reasons?

Seriously, dude...

Archived