• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's Official. Hurney is the GM

AppHeel

2 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Including trying to retain the team. Why hadn’t the team discussed this like they said they would? 

Why is he still pulling strings in the nfl to get his guy back as GM? 

All signs point to JR staying in control.

Richardson doesn't have that kind of power, not anymore.

He was a big deal in the league before the scandal, but SI has basically neutered him.

I could see Tepper basically erasing his memory.

59 minutes ago, The Natural said:

@Mr. Scot Does this change your perspective at all? 

"I have a source telling me the icing on the cake that lead to the fallout between Ron and Dave and eventually his "firing" was his unwavering loyalty to Mike Shula. Obviously tensions were already present due to the  botched handling of the Josh Norman situation and the subsequent draft. 

Rivera wanted him gone after the disappointing 2016 season. Of course publicly he wasn't going to say it but behind closed doors he'd "had enough". Dave on the other hand wasn't so keen on changing things up. Afterall, we were only a season removed from a SB appearance. Dave had the mindset that we were only another "player or two away" from seeing Shula's system really blossom into a juggernaut. 

Eventually tensions boiled over to the point Ron presented Richardson with a "It's me or him" ultimatum. Jerry called a meeting with Dave in a last ditch effort to smooth things over. Long story short Gettleman refused to budge on the issue and immediately resigned from his position. Jerry being Jerry wanted the story coming out to be that he had been fired (you know how his ego is) and now here we are. 

Shula would have been relieved of his duties at the same time Gettleman was but Norv had informed Ron that he wasn't quite ready to get back into it but would definitely be ready at the conclusion of the 2017 season. Make no mistake about it, the Norv hiring was a year in the making. 

Initially I was hesitant to believe it but after hearing the stories coming out of New York about how Shula is "one of Gettlemans guys" I've changed my tune. I hate what a mess he left this team in and you really have to question his judgment after this. But on a personal level you have to be happy for him that he got his guy back."

Dude, Gettleman wanted Rivera to hire a different OC than Shula back in 2013 but Ron wanted Shula. 

Shula was Ron's boy from Day One.

But I am enjoying your creative writing skills in fiction.

I was hoping to move on for good this season, but I don't see him sticking around beyond the next couple of years anyway with new ownership looming.

You guys can piss yourselves in rage, but I'm just hoping to make a run with this core. Our FO and staff over the years have built some nice resumes off the back of Cam Newton while taking the credit and furthering their own careers. As long as Cam is here, and we can actually add some more talent at WR, I think we can make a run and go up against anyone. But I'm done overly investing in the defense. It's time to go all in on the offense this year.

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Now y'all are just writing pure fiction hahahahahahaha

He's been trying desperately to get somebody (anybody) to pay attention to that bogus story. He's probably posted it about a dozen times. Don't think he's gotten so much as a single response yet. Nobody's listening.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Richardson doesn't have that kind of power, not anymore.

He was a big deal in the league before the scandal, but SI has basically neutered him.

I could see Tepper basically erasing his memory.

So ask yourself, if he was neutered, how did the Hurney investigation last a week and a half. When every other investigation dragged on for months and months. Who is the ONLY person that wants Hurney on the team. 

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

I was hoping to move on for good this season, but I don't see him sticking around beyond the next couple of years anyway with new ownership looming.

You guys can piss yourselves in rage, but I'm just hoping to make a run with this core. Our FO and staff over the years have built some nice resumes off the back of Cam Newton while taking the credit and furthering their own careers. As long as Cam is here, and we can actually add some more talent at WR, I think we can make a run and go up against anyone. But I'm done overly investing in the defense. It's time to go all in on the offense this year.

The guy who's most likely to wind up owning the team is someone who prefers the Steelers way of doing things.

Wouldn't bet on that defensive emphasis going away anytime soon.

1 minute ago, tiger7_88 said:

Dude, Gettleman wanted Rivera to hire a different OC than Shula back in 2013 but Ron wanted Shula. 

Shula was Ron's boy from Day One.

But I am enjoying your creative writing skills in fiction.

Shula was Ron's mistake initially, but things shifted over time. As late as 2015, Ron was still very supportive of Shula internally. The change was gradual. I would not say that the alliance between Gettleman and Shula was as close as described by this person (initials JA, I suspect), but it was Mike's strongest link left in the organization by 2016, and there was a lot of genuine mutual respect. (Because they are both morons.)

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

So ask yourself, if he was neutered, how did the Hurney investigation last a week and a half. When every other investigation dragged on for months and months. Who is the ONLY person that wants Hurney on the team. 

Because the reality is there was never anything to the charges.

I'm certainly a big critic of Hurney, but that doesn't mean I believe he's a wife beater or anything of that sort. Those charges were never credible.

As far as the Panthers, Richardson does still have power. But he's not going to get to keep it.

2 minutes ago, RetiredCollegeCoach said:

Shula was Ron's mistake initially, but things shifted over time. As late as 2015, Ron was still very supportive of Shula internally. The change was gradual. I would not say that the alliance between Gettleman and Shula was as close as described by this person (initials JA, I suspect), but it was Mike's strongest link left in the organization by 2016, and there was a lot of genuine mutual respect. (Because they are both morons.)

How long does it take you to log off and then log back on as The Natural?

Archived