• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Converted OT Matt Kalil's $10M Option Bonus Into A Signing Bonus Guaranteeing He'll Be On Roster In 2018

bobsfoodbasics

Hurney is using the obvious mechanism that Gettleman worked in to the contract. This was move discussed here when he was signed. Nothing new. If you want to blame anyone blame Gettleman.

Listen to carpanfan if you want to learn something. Don't if you are just here to complain for the sake of complaining.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You see guaranteeing that he'll be on roster next season as a good thing?

Ehhh, yes and no. I'm confused about this. lmao

On one hand probably wouldn't be able to find anyone better. It helps this season and makes him a Panther till after the 2019 season most likely.

On the other hand, he's not close to a top 10 LT and hes getting paid like it or close to it. So ehhh

Just now, carpanfan96 said:

Ehhh, yes and no. I'm confused about this. lmao

On one hand probably wouldn't be able to find anyone better. It helps this season and makes him a Panther till after the 2019 season most likely.

On the other hand, he's not close to a top 10 LT and hes getting paid like it or close to it. So ehhh

We already knew he'd be here this season.  Not having the out to cut him after this year is something I can't see as a positive.

Regardless, these decisions are gonna be getting made by someone different next year anyway.

24 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

That's not entirely correct, you have to know the bonus amount, the non exercise fee, buyback options and so forth if it's going to be guaranteed or not. 

For example with Kalil he had a 10m option that upon the team exercising became a cap hit of 2.5 m per season the next 4 years. 

If declined the team would have had to use it's non exercise fee or trade him basically. 

The non exercise fee in this case was also 10m dollars, but it also fully guaranteed his new salary for 2018 for the amount of 11m in guarantees. 

By claiming the option bonus and not using the non exercise portion of his contract language they saved 5m in salary this season as well as 1m in guarantees. 

By converting said bonus into a signing bonus it gives the team the option of recovery if he should retire. 

Everyone, and I.mean EVERYONE, needs to read this and all of the this posters information in this thread. He’s the only one who has it correct. 

I went over this exact same scenario at least 10 times over the past couple months. But people kept putting their heads in the sand, and claiming “we have an out” He was always guaranteed 25M. 13M signing, 10M guaranteed option bonus, and first two years salary at 1M each. Sooner or Later, we have to take at least that much of a hit on the cap. Sportrac was always wrong on their numbers. Which I explained numerous times. 

And blaming Hurney is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. He had no choice. Blaming him just shows how ignorant a person was to the situation, and still are. 

18 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

That's not entirely correct, you have to know the bonus amount, the non exercise fee, buyback options and so forth if it's going to be guaranteed or not. 

For example with Kalil he had a 10m option that upon the team exercising became a cap hit of 2.5 m per season the next 4 years. 

If declined the team would have had to use it's non exercise fee or trade him basically. 

The non exercise fee in this case was also 10m dollars, but it also fully guaranteed his new salary for 2018 for the amount of 11m in guarantees. 

By claiming the option bonus and not using the non exercise portion of his contract language they saved 5m in salary this season as well as 1m in guarantees. 

By converting said bonus into a signing bonus it gives the team the option of recovery if he should retire. 

So are you saying that the option bonus once exercised paid 10 million and if not exercised still paid 10 million and was fully guaranteed either way? So it was an issue of taking the whole hit this year or converting it to a signing bonus so you could prorate it. Or something else. I couldn't see Gettleman doing anything else. The signing bonus added 7.5 million to his dead cap hit but it wasn't going to be easy to dump him without incurring significant dead cap space anyway, right? 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We already knew he'd be here this season.  Not having the out to cut him after this year is something I can't see as a positive.

Regardless, these decisions are gonna be getting made by someone different next year anyway.

Nothing done today changes anything. There was never a reasonable “out”. Which is why I kept telling everyone we haven’t even begun to pay for Matt Kalil yet. Gettleman did this all by himself so Kalil’s cap hit last year could be so low. 

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

So are you saying that the option bonus once exercised paid 10 million and if not exercised still paid 10 million and was fully guaranteed either way? So it was an issue of taking the whole hit this year or converting it to a signing bonus so you could prorate it. Or something else. I couldn't see Gettleman doing anything else. The signing bonus added 7.5 million to his dead cap hit but it wasn't going to be easy to dump him without incurring significant dead cap space anyway, right? 

That’s about it. Nothing in his contract changed today. Just many peoples understanding of it. 

9 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Correct, it was either a 10m option bonus spread over 4 years or a 10m hit this season unless they could have some how traded him. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Bottom line for me: If he improves, I'm okay with it. If not, another year of him being guaranteed isn't good.

I'd like to hope with another year of chemistry with Newton, maybe things could be improved. If not...oy.

Why is he guaranteed another year? You cut your losses after this year even at 14.7M. No sense taking a 12.9M hit in 2019 for him to suck and still have to take a 9.8M dead cap hit to cut him after that. 

Just now, Toomers said:

Why is he guaranteed another year? You cut your losses after this year even at 14.7M. No sense taking a 12.9M hit in 2019 for him to suck and still have to take a 9.8M dead cap hit to cut him after that. 

Nearly 15 million in dead money is very difficult to justify.

I'd still prefer it not come to that. If Kalil improves, no problem (and yes, that's possible). 

If not, then we have issues regardless.

Archived