• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ranking the transition of Positions from college to Pros..

WOW!!

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

I pretty much agree.. But I do feel DE more than DT are asked to do more and the physical transition for most of them take a year.. While DT come in pretty big and physical already.. DE have to work more on Tech, pass rush moves and dropping back in passing zones more than DT ..

Completely agree. DE's have more responsibilities in the NFL and can get away with being one trick ponies more often than not at the college level. They need to develop moves, learn how to play the run, etc. 

Serious question, did this consider the types of schemes for each postions? For example a pure deep threat WR is a waaaaay easier transition than most things (DeSean Jackson and Will Fuller are examples.) 

But for the most part, I agree. I'd say Guards and DTs should probably be moved up since more and more are being asked to pass block/pass rush more.

12 hours ago, Rags said:

Serious question, did this consider the types of schemes for each postions? For example a pure deep threat WR is a waaaaay easier transition than most things (DeSean Jackson and Will Fuller are examples.) 

But for the most part, I agree. I'd say Guards and DTs should probably be moved up since more and more are being asked to pass block/pass rush more.

Yes.. Wr.. even being deep threats (running 1 or 3 routes) .. Still have to learn the speed and physicality of the game . So there is a physical transition . Beating the jam off the line scrimmage and navigate thru zone defeneses.. Is a hard transition as well..

15 hours ago, WOW!! said:

Ranking from easiest to hardest the transition of each position in football excluding Kickers and Punters..

1. Guards

2. DT

3. Rb/fb

4. DE

5. LB

6. C

7.OT

8. TE

9.WR

10. DB

11. QB

Interesting scale.

Easiest to Hardest....with comments

1. OL-G.  As long as you have a quality C and T this is by far the easiest.

2. DT  Once again if you have quality DEs or even adequate DEs 

3. LB Most athletic LBs have no issue with the transition to the NFL. Lower tier LBs yes

4. C if your skill level in college is good you usually transition well.  If you transition from G or T than maybe higher on the list.

5. TE should be able to block and catch.  If they don't why are you drafting them.

6. RB Especially if you aren't required to learn to pick up blitzes your talent usually gets you by.  If you are required to pick up blitzes you could move higher on the list.

7. QB depends on the style of offense you ran in college.  Pro style normally transition well. Spread and others don't do as well.

8. DE  unless you are top 10-15 transition usually takes a couple years

9. OT can be a stellar OT in college but face far better DE in the NFL and adjustment is tough.

10. CB College DBs don't face quality WR week in and week out.  Plus defenses are more complex and DBs have to adjust.  Josh Norman is a classic example.

11. WR  You can be a marvelous WR in college and struggle in the NFL.  The majority of college DBs are weak at best.  A WR that faces weak DBs throughout their college careers could

IMO 8 though 11 are equally difficult.   For us... We need all four of these positions soon.

7 hours ago, WOW!! said:

Yes.. Wr.. even being deep threats (running 1 or 3 routes) .. Still have to learn the speed and physicality of the game . So there is a physical transition . Beat the jam of the line scrimmage and navigate thru zone defeneses..

If you read Steve Smith's article last week he addresses this issue with Kirk.  Kirk did not face a lot of press coverage.  This should not be overlooked.  You take a WR in round 1 and he can't break press coverage you just drafted a Bust.

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Excellent topic.... Those that poo this should retract their poo.  As I posted I don't necessarily agree with your scale but this is such a matter of opinion I don't see how anyone could poo it.

Good Post!!!!

I agree this is a quality post and a idea i haven't seen on the huddle. I like you said can debate how accurate the scale is but he isn't that far off where i would poo him. I give you pie sir for this thought provoking post.

10 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

If you read Steve Smith's article last week he addresses this issue with Kirk.  Kirk did not face a lot of press coverage.  This should not be overlooked.  You take a WR in round 1 and he can't break press coverage you just drafted a Bust.

Agree.. I think being able to beat press coverage is the most important thing WR has to learn coming out of college.. In any offense not getting off the line of scrimmage can throw off timing cause TO or sacks.. 

7 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I agree this is a quality post and a idea i haven't seen on the huddle. I like you said can debate how accurate the scale is but he isn't that far off where i would poo him. I give you pie sir for this thought provoking post.

Thank you..

10 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Excellent topic.... Those that poo this should retract their poo.  As I posted I don't necessarily agree with your scale but this is such a matter of opinion I don't see how anyone could poo it.

Good Post!!!!

Thank you.. I love talking to guys who like to talk the nuts and bolts of the game way more than the politics and TMZ aspects of it.  

1 hour ago, Camp Fodder said:

I honestly think DE is the hardest position to make year one even over QB. I can’t remember the last time a DE made an impact their first year

I've seen a couple have some Solid rookie seasons.. Beyond The Peps, Jovan Kerse, Reggie White,S Rice and Freeney dominate rookie season.. You get a lot of guys having 6 to 8 sack years with 20+ pressures their rookie season..  Example

Carl Lawson, Takk McKinley, Derek Barnett,  and Myles Garret, all had solid rookie seasons..

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

I've seen a couple have some Solid rookie seasons.. Beyond The Peps, Jovan Kerse, Reggie White,S Rice and Freeney dominate rookie season.. You get a lot of guys having 6 to 8 sack years with 20+ pressures their rookie season..  Example

Carl Lawson, Takk McKinley, Derek Barnett,  and Myles Garret, all had solid rookie seasons..

Totally agree but for every stud that you list there are a dozen that struggle for a couple years.  CJ and Hardy are prime examples for us.  They had ok production but really didn't get good till well into their 3rd year.

57 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Totally agree but for every stud that you list there are a dozen that struggle for a couple years.  CJ and Hardy are prime examples for us.  They had ok production but really didn't get good till well into their 3rd year.

Now are we basing this off 1st and 2nd round prospect right?? Because anything pass that You're really not expecting a quick transition or they would be higher round picks.. My point in this thread was more talking about upper prospects transitions..

Archived