• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Picks 55, 85, and 88

AU-panther

1 hour ago, grimesgoat said:

Our top 4 draft picks may not start at the beginning of the year, but I would think most will get significant playing time.  I think there are a lot of snaps available for an RB, TE, S, and possibly CB. 

Plus we have 6m in cap to sign our draft class plus Cockrell, Gunter, Searcy, Silatolu, Sirles, and Wright.  Something has got to give.

Let's talk after the draft. 

Trade our number 1 and 6th, for Cleveland's numbers 33 and 35.  You then have 3 second round selections and 2 third round selections.  This is 5 picks in the top 60.  Get a S, TE, C, CB and RB.  All can be starters within two years and cures a multitude of issues with personnel and our aging roster.  Use the 5th or 7th for a developmental backup QB.

I'm not doing a full mock thread...so here it is:

1-Isaiah Oliver CB

2-Dallas Goedert TE

3-Rashaad Penny RB

3-Anthony Miller WR

4-Trade up for a safety who falls because they aren't valued like a Jessie Bates 

--

But that ain't happening.  Somehow getting both Miller and Penny is my pipe dream.  I think looking at the potential talent available, CB, OG, and maybe TE will be the spot taken in RD1.  

On 4/10/2018 at 12:22 PM, grimesgoat said:

Our top 4 draft picks may not start at the beginning of the year, but I would think most will get significant playing time.  I think there are a lot of snaps available for an RB, TE, S, and possibly CB. 

Plus we have 6m in cap to sign our draft class plus Cockrell, Gunter, Searcy, Silatolu, Sirles, and Wright.  Something has got to give.

You have to be within your cap space at all times. So if we have6 million in cap space all it wouldn't include are the draft picks or those unsigned. Everyone we signed if within the top 51 are already included in the cap space.

23 hours ago, panthers55 said:

You have to be within your cap space at all times. So if we have6 million in cap space all it wouldn't include are the draft picks or those unsigned. Everyone we signed if within the top 51 are already included in the cap space.

I keep checking Sportrac. They show our cap space at 6m, but they are showing no values for Cockrell, Gunter, Searcy, Silatolu, Sirles, and Wright.  I assume most of these guys are more than the bottom of the roster guys that are making the minimum, which means our cap is not really 6m but something less. 

I suspect we are going to have do something with Olsen (extension) and depending on the draft/training camp - dump one of the WRs.

19 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I keep checking Sportrac. They show our cap space at 6m, but they are showing no values for Cockrell, Gunter, Searcy, Silatolu, Sirles, and Wright.  I assume most of these guys are more than the bottom of the roster guys that are making the minimum, which means our cap is not really 6m but something less. 

I suspect we are going to have do something with Olsen (extension) and depending on the draft/training camp - dump one of the WRs.

Didn't spotrac deduct what we are paying the rookies out of our cap before saying we have so much in cap space? Since we don't have to pay that until they are signed it gives us some leeway. And remember even on a 2 year deal we save some money year 1. But like you said, I would like more clarity. We have a lot we can do to save cap like dump some dead weight like Shepard, or convert some of Smith's salary to a signing bonus, etc. Shouldn't be hard to create space if we need it.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Didn't spotrac deduct what we are paying the rookies out of our cap before saying we have so much in cap space? Since we don't have to pay that until they are signed it gives us some leeway. And remember even on a 2 year deal we save some money year 1. But like you said, I would like more clarity. We have a lot we can do to save cap like dump some dead weight like Shepard, or convert some of Smith's salary to a signing bonus, etc. Shouldn't be hard to create space if we need it.

Sportrac deducts around 6.4m to sign rookies.  Based on this, they put our salary cap balance at $0.  Our rookies will not cost 6.4m because many will simply replace guys at the bottom of the roster.  However add in the 6 guys mentioned before should eat up most of the balance. 

We will have to do something to clear some cap.  We don't want to go into the season with no cap room.  If we have injuries, the IR'd player counts against the cap plus the guy you pick up to replace him.  I just get tired of people wondering why we haven't already signed Mitchell and Reid as our safeties, etc.  

Archived